Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 23rd, 2018, 07:47 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Augie - Can you share a little more about how you store your shotguns barrel down? That's a new idea for me but it sounds smart. Do you just put them in a safe like that? Any padding or cover for the muzzle?

Also, can you recommend a particular case? I'm going to replace mine asap. I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount on it but certainly don't need to carry around Ft. Knox. https://www.americase.com/product/UL-3017-Blk This one looks pretty good...compact size is important for me since I like to lay it across the floorboard in the back seat (my dog's crate takes up a lot of the cargo room in my vehicle).

I clean the LC Smith literally every time I shoot it. As soon as I get back to my truck, I give it a spray down with ballistol, use a rag on the outside and action and then run a snake through each barrel. Is that overkill? I hate the idea of putting it back in the case with any moisture or fouling on it. But now that you mention the oil build up concern, I wonder if I'm overdoing it.

Thanks!
The Americase is a very good case and will last a lifetime.I have one and if I'm taking a gun to the range I want to protect it goes in that case.

As far a muzzle down I just put them in the rack and they stay upright with out sliding but I have a wood bottom for the muzzle to rest on, another advantage muzzle down is it protects the recoil pads, I have several vintage guns with their original recoil pads that would deform if left resting on the pad.

Does not seem to me that you are over cleaning, I do about the same, just make sure that if you are using a spray oil that you don't spray where the wood meets the metal and allow excess oil to go there, it eventually will soften the wood.

Join the LC Smith Collectors Association, great bunch of guys and there are 2 sporting clays shoots each year pretty close to us, spring shoot at Carlisle Fish and Game and fall at First Mine Run, plus there are a couple more vintage SxS shoots at First Mine Run and Prospect Hall in WV.
Augie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:36 PM #12

I used to shove balls of newspaper down the bore of my double after returning from the range. Got rid of a lot of crud easily, and there was an extra delight in using WaPo for gun maint, since I don't have a birdcage to line.

For guns that spend much time in the safe, I've taken to using Renaissance Wax to preserve the surface. Even on a nice field gun, it would help preserve the case coloring.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 01:58 PM #13

Thanks Augie and Bob!
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 10:20 PM #14

Very nice looking gun. I'm a big 16ga fan and shoot them often. The remington game loads you will run across are fairly mild but most likely a pretty high pressure load. I wouldn't worry to much about those loads for hunting situations but I wouldn't shoot them over and over on a trap/skeet field. I would look into 7/8oz loads from RST to be a little gentle on the old girl. I reload for the 16 and shoot 7/8oz or even 3/4oz loads often on the skeet field.

I would take it out hunting for sure. Avoid the nasty days but that gun was built to be shot there are too many safe queens in my opinion. Beautiful gun, enjoy it
colsen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns