Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 4th, 2019, 11:52 AM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Find the statute and it will be clear as mud.
Yeah, I chalk it up to "unintended consequences" caused by uninformed and stupid lawmakers!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
NSCA Level I Instructor
Mack C-85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 05:14 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Last time I looked into it I came away unpersuaded that anyone really knew the answer. Has any statute ever even been successfully (or unsuccessfully) challenged based on grandfathering? Ordinances where the local AG has officially declared them unenforceable are noted and/or stricken from municode (like the Taser ban since declared unenforceable). None of these have any notes, so the county still thinks that they are enforceable. If the county still thinks that they are enforcable, it means you will have to be arrested, convicted, and spend time in jail and on legal fees to be proven correct.
I am sure as heck not testing the waters.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 10:42 PM #53
Heavy

Heavy

IANAL, but I do have a MD permit to carry a handgun. The permit doesn't say anything about concealed carry.

In our state, in this environment, I think if you look like me, and you want to roll with an OWB holster on under your sport coat, you are very likely not going to attract much attention. People around here will assume you are LEO. Likewise, if you are rolling all Tactical Tommy, they will also assume you are LEO. In between?

Because of that, I don't worry nearly as much about printing as I did at first. A) people's situational awareness in general is terrible; I could likely carry a rifle down Eastern Avenue and 90% of the people I pass wouldn't notice, and B) if I do get spotted, the general public will assume that if someone who looks like me is carrying a gun, I'm probably LEO.

Now, if you don't look like me? YMMV.

(I'm white, between 40 and 50 years, relatively clean cut, 240 pounds and while some of it is beer/pizza, most of it is not. In other words, I kinda look like I could be a cop.)

I hav no idea what happens if you OC and happen upon a police officer. I do know that while engaged in pretty close quarters conversation, no LEO has ever seen (or let me know they saw) my concealed handgun.

Tactics are a different discussion. Personally, I prefer no one know I have the gun until I need to inform them, but not everyone agrees with that.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 10:49 PM #54
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
Personally, I prefer no one know I have the gun until I need to inform them, but not everyone agrees with that.
No argument here. In MoCo, there are a thousand reasons to keep it on the down-low, and very few I can conjure up for deliberately making it known. And by very few, I mean “none.”
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:21 PM #55
Retired Master General El

Retired Master General El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brychan View Post
Yesterday I went to Rite Aid on Northern Parkway to pick up a Rx and get my flu shot. The gentleman in line in front of me wearing work clothes and a holstered Glock on his side. It did my heart good that no one paid the slightest attention to it, or even commented.
JUST A WORD TO THE WISE: My wife and I haven't had the flu since we quit taking those fraudulent shots over 25 years ago. My sister and BIL get them every year and wind up "with a little 'cold'. I don't trust ANY medication the grubberment gives away for FREE. Good luck.
LRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:25 PM #56

Hopefully all this will change after the SCOTUS hears the NYC case.
lemmdus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:35 PM #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoberts View Post
JUST A WORD TO THE WISE: My wife and I haven't had the flu since we quit taking those fraudulent shots over 25 years ago. My sister and BIL get them every year and wind up "with a little 'cold'. I don't trust ANY medication the grubberment gives away for FREE. Good luck.
Yeah...YMMV - the ONE year I did not get my flu shot (last year), i ended up with the worst case of the flu - thought I was going to actually die lol. Had to take a week off of work.

For years I had said "maybe I had the flu", but until you have it truly, you have no idea. It is the absolute worst and I can totally see how it can kill if left untreated.
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:51 PM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoberts View Post
That’s not how science and medicine work, but okay.
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:59 PM #59
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That’s not how science and medicine work, but okay.
Distinguishing between correlation and causation is indeed a hallmark of critical thinking generally, and science in particular. That said, here’s more anecdotal info: never had a flu shot or the flu in over fifty years. Same with my wife. My increasingly elderly mom has been getting the shots every year for decades. Has had the flu four times. The retired doctor across the street has had it twice, but not again since he gave up and stopped getting (or recommending) the shots. I love science! I do! But the annual flu shots are by their nature a crap shoot at best because of the nature of what they are and the timing of their routine development.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 09:50 PM #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
Distinguishing between correlation and causation is indeed a hallmark of critical thinking generally, and science in particular. That said, here’s more anecdotal info: never had a flu shot or the flu in over fifty years. Same with my wife. My increasingly elderly mom has been getting the shots every year for decades. Has had the flu four times. The retired doctor across the street has had it twice, but not again since he gave up and stopped getting (or recommending) the shots. I love science! I do! But the annual flu shots are by their nature a crap shoot at best because of the nature of what they are and the timing of their routine development.
Based on their nature, yes there is some rolling of the dice. However, they cannot cause it nor make you more susceptible. Depending on how well matched to the actual strains being carried around in a given season the flu vaccine varies from around 40 or so % efficacy in protection up to mid 90% range. Regardless of full protection, if it doesn’t prevent you from acquiring a symptomatic infection, it reduces the duration and severity for almost everyone.

Long story short, get it. You might still get it, because nothing is perfect and sometimes people roll snake eyes multiple times (or have a bad immune system). But even if you do get it, it isn’t as bad as if you didn’t get vaccinated.

Especially since I know how they conduct studies, I’ll trust actual studies and not anecdotal evidence of a small number of cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-wor...ss-studies.htm

If you want other anecdotal, I’ve been vaccinated every year since I was 18. I had the flu twice as a kid. Never as an adult.

Want mixed, my kids have all been vaccinated and my oldest got the flu. He was very mildly sick for 2 days with a low grade fever. My wife who was also vaccinated was horribly sick for a week at the same time. Based on infectiveness of the flu, the odds are very low living in the same household that all of us wouldn’t have gotten sick. Especially since you can transmit the flu hours before you are symptomatic. Instead one was very mildly ill and one extremely ill. This was in a flu year where the vaccine was poorly targeted.

Most people I know who regularly get vaccinated either haven’t gotten the flu while they’ve been regularly vaccinated or rarely. I know a couple of exceptions. They also are pretty regularly sick with something. Likely a pretty bad immune system. I know fewer people who “have never been vaccinated” and also never had the flu. I am glad you haven’t.

Ps let me know who the doc is so I don’t attend their practice.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues