Are Rock River Triggers Really That Bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I have one (the upper you built Brad) and it's very nice. It's tweaked by John Holliger. However, I got it in '98-ish when there really weren't many alternatives other than factory or Krieger-Millazzo. Would I buy another one? No, not with all the other high quality cost-effective alternatives available today.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have one (the upper you built Brad) and it's very nice. It's tweaked by John Holliger. However, I got it in '98-ish when there really weren't many alternatives other than factory or Krieger-Millazzo. Would I buy another one? No, not with all the other high quality cost-effective alternatives available today.

If you need a lower parts, then the kit minus 20% ($144) from Rock River is hard to beat and you get a trigger that is way better than a mil-spec.

If you only want to upgrade a current trigger - I absolutely agree.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have an RRA NM 2 stage and it is ok for me, but it will be getting replaced soon enough. When I pull it out of my lower, I'll be dropping an SSA-E into that rifle. I might give the RRA NM 2 stage to my dad for a hunting/varmint rifle of his.

I like the RRA, but I like my G2S a lot better. The G2S feels cleaner than the RRA, but then again I might be wrong. They both break with a total of 4#, so it is down to perception for me.

I thought about trying out a geissle in my rock river as well but then thought, I don't hate their 2 stage trigger that came with the rifle anywhere near enough to replace it lol.

Now the standard mil spec trigger in my del ton would be a great candidate for replacement. I have to do som eresearch though as im not super familiar with which trigger to go with from geissle.

I don't want or need a hair trigger so to speak but more so something that will clean up some of the slop in the standard one.

Suggestions?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I thought about trying out a geissle in my rock river as well but then thought, I don't hate their 2 stage trigger that came with the rifle anywhere near enough to replace it lol.

Now the standard mil spec trigger in my del ton would be a great candidate for replacement. I have to do som eresearch though as im not super familiar with which trigger to go with from geissle.

I don't want or need a hair trigger so to speak but more so something that will clean up some of the slop in the standard one.

Suggestions?

If you want a better single stage that is a lot cleaner, I'd recommend the ALG QMS or ACT.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Personally, I think Geisseles are over priced and over rated, at least the ones I've shot and the ones I've owned. They're nice, but I would never pay full price for one. :smoke: But then I pull a trigger a couple thousand times a day. I'm probably just numb. :shrug:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Personally, I think Geisseles are over priced and over rated, at least the ones I've shot and the ones I've owned. They're nice, but I would never pay full price for one. :smoke: But then I pull a trigger a couple thousand times a day. I'm probably just numb. :shrug:

I thought the price on geissle triggers has come down?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    To each their own. But what's defined as a 'hair-trigger' is quite subjective.

The SSA is quoted at a 4.5# total pull weight (1st being 2.5#, 2nd being 2#), may sound light, but in use - it isn't. The SSA-E is quoted at 3.5# (1st being 2.3#, 2nd being 1.2#) - again it sounds light, but it isn't. In my entire time of owning/firing the SSA-E, never had an issue with the function of the trigger, or sending a round downrange I didn't mean to.

Big question is, do you want a 2-stage trigger, or a single stage?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

The SSA is quoted at a 4.5# total pull weight (1st being 2.5#, 2nd being 2#), may sound light, but in use - it isn't. The SSA-E is quoted at 3.5# (1st being 2.3#, 2nd being 1.2#) - again it sounds light, but it isn't. In my entire time of owning/firing the SSA-E, never had an issue with the function of the trigger, or sending a round downrange I didn't mean to.

If you want to talk single stage "hair trigger" AR triggers, you'll want to look at JP Ent. FCGs. You can set them as close to double tap as one can be set. It's made for three gun. I actually put one in my 20" bench AR. I left just enough follow through to avoid DTs. As the trigger broke in, I ended up with a RCH of creep. I blame that on my 1970's EA lower. Still a sweet trigger.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you want to talk single stage "hair trigger" AR triggers, you'll want to look at JP Ent. FCGs. You can set them as close to double tap as one can be set. It's made for three gun. I actually put one in my 20" bench AR. I left just enough follow through to avoid DTs. As the trigger broke in, I ended up with a RCH of creep. I blame that on my 1970's EA lower. Still a sweet trigger.

JP makes good stuff, for single stage - the SD-3G with the light spring has been plenty for me (when you're lighting off a .50Beo, a silly light trigger may not be "ideal"...), if you relax your firing grip, no need for a bump-stock. ;)

For stupid light 2-stage, the Hi-Speed National Match series - can dial the 2nd stage down to as little as 6oz, total weight down to 1.9# - that's a light trigger by almost anyone's measure.

Plenty of great options, by a number of sources.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

I prefer a 2 stage. I got used to them in my RRA rifle.

Any idea what the pull on those are? or do they vary?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I prefer a 2 stage. I got used to them in my RRA rifle.

Any idea what the pull on those are? or do they vary?

W/out looking at RRA's site, I can't say what they advertise their 2-stage pull weights as being. It's been long enough that I don't remember it off the top of my head.

After my experience with my own NM, versus 2 other peoples NM's - seems to be some variation. Maybe mine was one that slipped thru, but it didn't make a good impression with me. The 2 other ones I shot, were 'significantly' better.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    W/out looking at RRA's site, I can't say what they advertise their 2-stage pull weights as being. It's been long enough that I don't remember it off the top of my head.

After my experience with my own NM, versus 2 other peoples NM's - seems to be some variation. Maybe mine was one that slipped thru, but it didn't make a good impression with me. The 2 other ones I shot, were 'significantly' better.

It's been a while, I'm think stage 1 is 2# and stage 2 is around 4.5-5#

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Was one of those 2 the one I had at MG with you that one day with Thumper?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Was one of those 2 the one I had at MG with you that one day with Thumper?

Thumper, in the config. that you and Steve shot it in, was sporting the Geissele SD-3G with the light spring.

I remember warning you guys about it. Pretty sure Steve had a 'pucker' moment when he sent that round downrange a bit prematurely... :innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thumper, in the config. that you and Steve shot it in, was sporting the Geissele SD-3G with the light spring.

I remember warning you guys about it. Pretty sure Steve had a 'pucker' moment when he sent that round downrange a bit prematurely... :innocent0

I don't think Steve thought Thumper was going to do that. I have video of him firing his first shot standing up, without having it tucked in really well. The scope almost gave him a big kiss. :lol2:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Service rifle NM triggers must be able to lift the 4 1/2 lb. check weight. Using a trigger that fails to lift the required weight will result in disqualification, per NRA & CMP service rifle rules. Trigger weight has been checked at every LEG match I have attended. At the nationals, every service rifle trigger is checked for weight. The winner's rifle may be checked again after the match as well. Match rifle triggers do not have to meet this standard, though they must be safe.
    The 2 stage Rock River NM trigger is supposed to meet the 4 1/2 lb. standard for service rifle.
    RR does have a lighter weight version of their 2 stage trigger that is supposed to be around 3 1/2 lbs. I think it is called their Varmint 2 stage trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom