• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shows his intent wasn't to harvest the meat. If you hit a deer with that where you should, there'd be nothing left. Dumb.

You eat the head? That's what he was aiming for.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Do you think the bullet would have expanded enough o ruin the deer? I'm guess it would have passed through with minimal expansion. I think it's way too much over kill, but isn't that what the fudds say about our AR15 rifles?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, I guess we can now say you can use 50bmg to hunt deer. From the video it does seem like he hit something, maybe the mouth. I am skeptical it was just the pressure wave.

I have a pretty good idea what would have happened had he really hit the head. The head would be vaporized down to about the neck. There are some videos around if you really want to see graphic game management.

Don't try this on bucks.

I am going to say that it was not the shockwave. Looks to me that he hit something, just not the brain.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    The only thing that made any sense to me was it was a management hunt. So they were culling over-population so i could see them testing an OVER powered rifle in that case. NOT saying i'm agreeing with it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you think the bullet would have expanded enough o ruin the deer? I'm guess it would have passed through with minimal expansion. I think it's way too much over kill, but isn't that what the fudds say about our AR15 rifles?

The shock wave is enough to cut a deer in half if it is hit in the right place.

There are 100s of weapons that can be plied in the taking of deer. Why is this one so wrong? Emotion, mostly.

I hate it when people, who would never or could never kill an animal, suggest to me the proper method and tool with which to do it. Emotion.

Some folks here are the 180 degree opposite of fudds. And that is just as bad.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If your intention is to harvest edible meat ... I would suggest that this is the wrong tool for that objective.

This was just a test. He wasn't advocating everyone take up a 50bmg to start deer hunting. He also said he was taking a head shot. Not much edible meat in the skull.

Owning a 50bmg rifle, I have no problem someone using it to hunt with. Not directed at you, but why is everyone against this guy? He was on a cull hunt, he took a head shot. DEAD is DEAD.

Would folks have the same issue if he took a 500 yard shot on a deer with a 223 AR15? I think if he's just wanting to kill a deer, this rifle is no different that using a 375 H&R.. Is there any difference than this rifle and say a 450 Bushmaster?

Can someone explain why this guy using a 50bmg is so wrong? Please.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    If it's a quick death how does caliber chosen matter? A deer can't be too dead. I shot a doe on opening morning of rifle season and little if any meat could be used from the shoulders. And I didn't use a 50.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Guys a dick for trying to hunt deer with a 50

Ridiculous to hunt deer with a 50 bmg in the first place!

Falls squarely into the category of 'stupid shit people put on youtube'.

He should be.:sad20:

What the Fudd are you talking about? So when do we start judging hunters for their choice in firearms. He said it was a test to see what would happen. He's not advocating every go out and buy a 50bmg, but what wrong if he did.

You want to start telling people their choice is stupid, idiotic, crazy? Aren't you as guilty as the Fudds who say no one needs an AR15 rifle?

This thread has opened my mind to the mindset of some people. So he used a 50bmg to kill a deer. What's wrong with that? Do you want to set limits on what can be used to fit your narrative? Well guess what, you're as guilty as the Looney Left then.

For those who said it wouldn't be their choice, I agree. But to call out the guy for what was done, is wrong. Go ahead. Next time you want a 30 round mag, the Maryland government may just tell you that you can't buy them in Maryland... Oh wait too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom