• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Looking at purchasing a Walther PPQ SC, from out of state shipped to my FFL.
    It comes with a 10 rnd and 15 rnd mags.
    Since I am not "Purchasing" it in MD is that legal? since I can drive to VA or PA and legally buy 15 rnd mags.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Looking at purchasing a Walther PPQ SC, from out of state shipped to my FFL.
    It comes with a 10 rnd and 15 rnd mags.
    Since I am not "Purchasing" it in MD is that legal? since I can drive to VA or PA and legally buy 15 rnd mags.

No, not legal. You cannot take possession of that 15 round mag while in Maryland. Either your local FFL keeps it (to sell to a LEO or to sell out of state), or your seller never ships it (and hopefully gives you a discount). Or, depending on how things are between you and the local FFL, you might get them to block or pin the 15 rounder so it's no longer a 15 rounder.

Otherwise, as you've noted, you've gotta go to another state to purchase and physically take possession of anything bigger than 10.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The MD FFL will either remove the 15rd mag or permanently pin it. MSP has directed FFL's that they may not send the 15rd mag out-of-state for you to pick up.

You may have to convince the seller to either remove the 15rd mag or that the MD FFL will legally disposition the 15rd mag.

Nothing stops you from going out-of-state to purchase magazines of any capacity.

In short, the 15rd mag that comes with the gun is toasted. Will the seller substitute a second 10rd mag for you?

Good luck

Edit: Occam is quicker on the keys

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    I recently purchased an out of state handgun advertised with 3 17 round magazines. After a brief chat with the seller (a gun shop, not an individual) he swapped out the 17 round magazines and shipped it with 3 10 round magazines. Though that isn't the ultimate goal, at least the magazines weren't confiscated which would mean I would have to purchase magazines to get started.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yes it is perfectly legal for you to purchase the firearm in question. The 15 round magazine will not be transferred to you by your receiving FFL, nor will they ship it outside the state for you. As others have said, they will either remove it, or if you find an FFL willing to pin it permanently to 10 rounds, they may do that. Not all FFL's are willing to spend the time to do that, so ask before you have it shipped to them. You may ask the sending FFL if they will ship that magazine somewhere else, but it cannot ship to you in MD. You can also ask if they will substitute another 10 round magazine for the 15 round magazine, if they have one. Yes, you may go to another state and purchase a normal sized magazine for your firearm, that is perfectly legal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The other option is to see if the seller will ship the magazines to a friend or family member in a free state for you to pick up.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    The other option is to see if the seller will ship the magazines to a friend or family member in a free state for you to pick up.

After MSP published the advisory back in 2017, most FFL's want no parts in shipping the magazine out of state. All of the MD ones I frequent either pin or discard/destroy (destroy or keep for themselves).

Magazine advisory
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat.../10-16-2017 LD-FRU-17-010 Detachable Mags.pdf

The FFL can receive...
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/Advisory LD-FRS-13-005.pdf

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    After MSP published the advisory back in 2017, Maryland FFL's want no parts in shipping the magazine out of state. All of the MD ones I frequent either pin or discard/destroy (destroy or keep for themselves).

Magazine advisory
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat.../10-16-2017 LD-FRU-17-010 Detachable Mags.pdf

The FFL can receive...

For Maryland FFLs, this is true. Texas, Virginia, and other dealers in America don't give a shit and will send it wherever you want. Even to a UPS store.

Whether its worth the extra shipping charges is a different question.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    For Maryland FFLs, this is true. Texas, Virginia, and other dealers in America don't give a shit and will send it wherever you want. Even to a UPS store.

Yup - why it's in the Maryland 2A Issues forum...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

When you're buying a pistol that needs mags currently selling for $35-50, yeah, some fuss is definitely worth it, compared to abandoning them to the seller's inventory without getting a discount. But if you don't have a handy over-the-border destination and the time, fuel, and inclination to deal with it that way, then yeah, maybe not worth it. Just bought a pistol for which I'd like several extra mags. Can't find them for less than $45-ish anywhere, if they can be found at all. Where to ship them is pretty academic at the moment! Grrr.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    After MSP published the advisory back in 2017, most FFL's want no parts in shipping the magazine out of state. All of the MD ones I frequent either pin or discard/destroy (destroy or keep for themselves).

Magazine advisory

The FFL can receive...

I wasn't referring to in state FFL's, since the OP was talking about purchasing a Walther from an out of state FFL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sometimes you just have to shrug , and mutter to yourself " Maryland Sucks " . This issue is one that doesn't have a * good * , one size fits all answer .

( Yes , most mainstream current pistols have available Md/ CA/ NY/ MA compliant magazines . However , most online discount sellers stock Free America SKU's , and not the restricted state specific SKU's .)

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    or if you find an FFL willing to pin it permanently to 10 rounds, they may do that. Not all FFL's are willing to spend the time to do that, so ask before you have it shipped to them.

But don’t ask on this forum what FFL’s are willing to pin mags. Apparently, the answers to that question will result in all guns being banned in Maryland, children stolen from their homes and enslaved overseas, and the sky falling in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    And shipping it to his FFL which presumably is the great state of MD... If the mag comes into a MD FFL, its toast.

The other option is to see if the SELLER will ship the magazines to a friend or family member in a free state for you to pick up.

holesonpaper, dblas was referring to the SELLER who is out of state. Not the MD FFL. If the seller is out of state, sending the mag to another free state address is 100% legal.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    holesonpaper, dblas was referring to the SELLER who is out of state. Not the MD FFL. If the seller is out of state, sending the mag to another free state address is 100% legal.

Fair fair... With the exception of a face-to-face purchase, most of the popular internet sites won’t do this. Like water, we’ve all tried to play this game since 2013.. If its a smaller time out of state FFL, it probably works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom