• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General

Nov 3, 2019
    Just picked up some wolf ammo from target sports, and I've never really checked out the casings on wolf ammo , but I noticed it was stamped tulammo, I know they are both cheap Russian ammo but is that normal, I have fired that much of the 7.62 so I never really noticed until today... So are they with the same company?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Wolf is a importer, not a manufacturer. That's why they have different types of wolf like polyformance and military classic. They sell Russian ammo from a number of factories and even ammo from other countries like Taiwan.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Just picked up some wolf ammo from target sports, and I've never really checked out the casings on wolf ammo , but I noticed it was stamped tulammo, I know they are both cheap Russian ammo but is that normal, I have fired that much of the 7.62 so I never really noticed until today... So are they with the same company?
    Wolf is an importer. Tula is both a brand and an arsenal/ammo plant. Wolf buys ammo from whoever will sell it to them, then resells it in in the U.S. The majority of that is Russian ammo, but they also sell Taiwanese .223 and 5.56, occasionally Ukrainian ammo, Taiwanese-ish T91 uppers, Russian optics, etc.

Back a few months ago when ammo was cheap and plenty, most Russian wolf ammo seemed to be from Barnaul, but with the market being so hot I am sure they are buying from anyone they can. Tula gets a bad rap for a lot of ammo, but I think their quality and consistency has improved in the past 5-6 years. Probably won’t be as hot as Barnaul, but should shoot fine.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Wolf is an importer. Tula is both a brand and an arsenal/ammo plant. Wolf buys ammo from whoever will sell it to them, then resells it in in the U.S. The majority of that is Russian ammo, but they also sell Taiwanese .223 and 5.56, occasionally Ukrainian ammo, Taiwanese-ish T91 uppers, Russian optics, etc.

Back a few months ago when ammo was cheap and plenty, most Russian wolf ammo seemed to be from Barnaul, but with the market being so hot I am sure they are buying from anyone they can. Tula gets a bad rap for a lot of ammo, but I think their quality and consistency has improved in the past 5-6 years. Probably won’t be as hot as Barnaul, but should shoot fine.

Tulammo’s 7.62x39 is made at Ulyanovsk and so are at least some of their other rifle calibers. I guess Wolf purchased some Ulyanovsk recently.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yikes! I can still remember when it was $0.08 per round. Thanks.
    :shocked3:

That must have been a while ago lol. Pre Rona it was going for around $0.20 per round consistently. I agree about 35 cpr is where it’s at right now and prices still rising. It has lagged in price increases compared to 9mm/.223 but its been going up lately.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Tulammo’s 7.62x39 is made at Ulyanovsk and so are at least some of their other rifle calibers. I guess Wolf purchased some Ulyanovsk recently.
    Last I checked TulAmmo runs both Tula Cartridge Works and Ulyanovsk cartridge works. I think I’ve seen headstamps from both factories but could be mistaken. I have mostly been buying Barnaul the past year, so I am probably out of date.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I bought a case of “mil spec” 125gr wolf soft point ammo that came in green boxes earlier this year, and it was from Barnaul, so it probably varies from product to product. Maybe even batch to batch.

Not that it really matters that much. I have been happy with most of the cheap Russian ammo I have bought, regardless of where it came from.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yikes! I can still remember when it was $0.08 per round. Thanks.
    :shocked3:

Still not as bad as 2013 when it hit $0.45 a round private sale for regular lead core FMJ blasting ammo

Last I checked TulAmmo runs both Tula Cartridge Works and Ulyanovsk cartridge works. I think I’ve seen headstamps from both factories but could be mistaken. I have mostly been buying Barnaul the past year, so I am probably out of date.

Pretty much, since Tula Cartridge Works bought Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works years ago. All the Tulammo 7.62x39 I’ve seen in the past eight years has been Ulyanovsk. I think I’ve seen Tula in other calibers.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Pretty much, since Tula Cartridge Works bought Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works years ago. All the Tulammo 7.62x39 I’ve seen in the past eight years has been Ulyanovsk. I think I’ve seen Tula in other calibers.
    I’ll have to dig through what I have lying around. I am probably thinking of 7.62x51 steel cased ammo I have purchased periodically.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Tulammo, Wolf and Herters International are all the same thing with a different packaging They all came out of the same plant but in a different brand name in Russia.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Interesting that I never thought about this aspect. I was shooting a lot of Barnaul in the past, but I switched to Tula. I feel like there is a lot less recoil with the Tula. Most be loaded weaker? I just assumed all Russian ammo was going to be loaded on the weak side.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Interesting that I never thought about this aspect. I was shooting a lot of Barnaul in the past, but I switched to Tula. I feel like there is a lot less recoil with the Tula. Most be loaded weaker? I just assumed all Russian ammo was going to be loaded on the weak side.
    I haven’t gone to the trouble of chronographing similar loads side by side beyond comparing 125gr Barnaul head stamp soft points with 124gr Tula (Ulyanovsk head stamp I think) soft points, but the internet tells me Barnaul tends to load hotter than Ulyanovsk and Vympel, at least for the “mil spec” offerings. We all know the internet is 100% infallible and should be taken at face value at all times, so definitely we should all agree and not do our own testing. I’d have to go find my notes on that particular test, but I want to say the Barnaul was running around 70fps faster than the Tula from my Draco pistol.

I know the Tula 165gr .308 soft points are loaded super slow, like 100-150fps above 16” 7.62x39 123gr velocity slow. I have in my head that those are Tula Cartridge works instead of Ulyanovsk, but I’d have to go check my stash to be sure.

HPBT

Oct 15, 2020
    De.
    Surplus ammo

has 7.62x39 PPU,brass case ammo.Bought some yesterday.Shipping kinda high but they are reloadable.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I bought a case of “mil spec” 125gr wolf soft point ammo that came in green boxes earlier this year, and it was from Barnaul, so it probably varies from product to product. Maybe even batch to batch.

Not that it really matters that much. I have been happy with most of the cheap Russian ammo I have bought, regardless of where it came from.

If anyone’s familiar with “practice makes perfect” then the Russians are likely making brass cases Unicorns considering how much ammo they produce. Didn’t they invent the 7.62x39 round? Hasn’t Tula been in then firearms industry production trade for over 300 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom