• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I’ll add my voice to the “not a bobcat” crowd.

I guarantee that’s not a bobcat. I’ve got them in my yard on a regular basis. Their conformation (no Billy Bob, not the sacrament) is totally different as is their coat.

My guess would be cougar or mountain lion based on the info provided/picture.

I’ll add my voice to the “not a bobcat” crowd.

I guarantee that’s not a bobcat. I’ve got them in my yard on a regular basis. Their conformation (no Billy Bob, not the sacrament) is totally different as is their coat.

My guess would be cougar or mountain lion based on the info provided/picture.

Nope. It is a Nittany Lion.

On a serious note, I see bobcats up close every day. The animal pictured is clearly not a bobcat.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Something else to keep in mind: you're looking at an infrared image. Many critters with seemly monochromatic coats (like, a tawny-looking cougar) will, when seen in IR, have markings or patterns you'd never see with the naked eye.

We routinely catch some of the local foxes on one of our back yard multi-mode cameras. Seen at night in IR, there are spots, patches, and other dramatic tone changes in their coats that you would never otherwise notice. I'd not be at all surprised to learn that a possibly still-somewhat-juvenile mountain lion has some IR-sensitive spotted markings you'd generally not see in normal light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom