• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    im looking for a scope to put on my 30-06 for the upcoming deer season. I dont plan on making super long distance shots, i prefer hunting in woods verses fields. i have been looking at bushnells and nikons in the $75 to $125 range. the bushnells consistently come in cheaper than the nikons. is the extra money worth it for the nikons or are the bushnells (like the banners) quality scopes?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At one level , today's inexpensine scopes are much higher optical quality than mid level scopes from previous generations.

And your usages only require basic scope technology. Being old school that I am , I would gladly go with fixed 4x , but alas , nowdays it's increasingly difficult to find fixed power scopes.

A more direct comparison between Bushnell and Nikon would involve comparing a Bushnell Trophy with fully coated lenses to the base model Nikon .

It's a slippery slope , but I compared the two brands arbitrarily on Midway USA with search for prices under $150 . Here are two approaches for you to take :

1. $ is actually meaningful. The $79 Banner will kill Bambi just as dead , and you probably would never notice the extra 120 sec of shooting time at dusk.

2. Only sticking one toe out onto the slippery slope, the step from $129 to $149 does give you a meaningful upgrade . If you care to expend $149 , the above mentioned Nikon ProStaff 2-7x is a good value, and excellent choice at that price point .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think I would always go with better lens coating when possible even if it was a few dollars more. For me I'm more concerned or let me say affected with the 30 minutes of glare when the suns low prior to the last remaining bit of light for field shooting.
    If I'm in the woods its internal reflection that I look at. If I get a flash in my eye trying to pick something out quickly its the one or two seconds that count for me.
    I have a few, well two that I can think of right now of the old fixed 4x Bushnells that are nice and black on the inside but I never see them around anymore. Image clarity or contrast however is not there though but they are solid and repetitive for adjustments and brought shitloads of deer down.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My advise is to stay away from Bushnell. They are poorly made and I have seen far too many of them fail. A scope is something that you do not want to cut costs on just to save a dollar. Consider how you would feel if that buck of a lifetime was in your sights and the scope failed. Save your money and buy a scope that will last and is of known quality. My personal preference is for the Leupold 3.5-10x40, optics are clear and a lifetime warranty. I have the trophies that prove it was worth the extra cost!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    At one level , today's inexpensine scopes are much higher optical quality than mid level scopes from previous generations.

And your usages only require basic scope technology. Being old school that I am , I would gladly go with fixed 4x , but alas , nowdays it's increasingly difficult to find fixed power scopes.

A more direct comparison between Bushnell and Nikon would involve comparing a Bushnell Trophy with fully coated lenses to the base model Nikon .

It's a slippery slope , but I compared the two brands arbitrarily on Midway USA with search for prices under $150 . Here are two approaches for you to take :

1. $ is actually meaningful. The $79 Banner will kill Bambi just as dead , and you probably would never notice the extra 120 sec of shooting time at dusk.

2. Only sticking one toe out onto the slippery slope, the step from $129 to $149 does give you a meaningful upgrade . If you care to expend $149 , the above mentioned Nikon ProStaff 2-7x is a good value, and excellent choice at that price point .

I have dropped many a bambi with a Banner scoped muzzle loader(my first in-line). :thumbsup:

Since we're talking about 30-06s, I would forego the 2x7 for the 3x9 Prostaff. I also believe Burris belongs in this discussion.

FWIW, I tend to keep all my deer scopes turned down around 4-6 power and rarely crank them up in the field. I use the 9x setting when sighting in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Up to the OP to know his parameters and make his choices . $79 vs $149 ? Important difference or trivial ? Different people , different answers . I will have personal opinion to not step up to $129 level . Either go all the way economical, or step up to $149 .

Outrider is mighty Bambi Slayer with economical scope ( check )

Outrider typically hunts at 4x or a little more ( check)

Outrider rarely cranks up magnification in the field ( check).

Outrider recomends 3-9x instead of 2-7x ( HUH ? )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Up to the OP to know his parameters and make his choices . $79 vs $149 ? Important difference or trivial ? Different people , different answers . I will have personal opinion to not step up to $129 level . Either go all the way economical, or step up to $149 .

Outrider is mighty Bambi Slayer with economical scope ( check )

Outrider typically hunts at 4x or a little more ( check)

Outrider rarely cranks up magnification in the field ( check).

Outrider recomends 3-9x instead of 2-7x ( HUH ? )30-06 -v-shotgun/muzzle loader

Never know what will be asked of that 30-06 further on down the road...

:shrug:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    My advise is to stay away from Bushnell. They are poorly made and I have seen far too many of them fail. A scope is something that you do not want to cut costs on just to save a dollar. Consider how you would feel if that buck of a lifetime was in your sights and the scope failed. Save your money and buy a scope that will last and is of known quality. My personal preference is for the Leupold 3.5-10x40, optics are clear and a lifetime warranty. I have the trophies that prove it was worth the extra cost!

Some of the Bushnell Elite series are decent scopes, different critter than their low end but they’re not inexpensive. In optics, you really get what you pay for it.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/bushnell-elite

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    I have 5 Bushnell "Banner dusk to dawn" and 3 Nikon ProStaff. If you have an extra $100 get the Nikon, If not the Banner will do the job, even in low light if it is a "Dusk To Dawn." 3-9x should suffice in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom