• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    iam a left handed shooter. iam looking to buy an AR/M4 rifle.
    three interests me right now.
    1. sig 516
    2. sig 556
    3. stag model 8.
    any advice, any suggestions are welcome.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Stag makes a lefty AR, you could try that or you could learn to shoot righty, the way the Brits teach everyone. I have never shot any of my ARs left handed, but I assume the US military does allow a lefty to shoot that way.

(The British SA-80 was designed to be fired from the right side only.)

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    As a lefty, I would recommend against a LH-specific AR, unless your sole purpose for shooting the gun is competition. Once you teach yourself the muscle memory needed to operate the controls on a RH AR, you will become just as adept with the weapon as a righty. If I were a serious 3-gun competitor, I could see the advantage of having the mag release on the left and the carrier return control on the right (subtracts a second on reloads, I would guess).

I have never felt disadvantaged shooting a standard AR rifle. With that in mind, get the gun that has the features you like.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    First, the SIG 556 is not an AR- totally different rifle and operating system. It just takes AR mags. Neither of the SIGs offer anything special in terms of a lefty IMO. The Stag is lefty specific but has not earned a reputation for reliability. Recommend you look at the Colt 6920 if you want a standard carbine length M4 or any of the offerings from Bravo Company (BCM). BCM is earning a great reputation for quality at a fair price. As for advice- beware when you hear "just as good as." Good luck.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    I have to shoot long-guns lefthanded b/c my eyesight. I got sick of brass crossing over my face and the possibility of getting powder in my face, even with eye protection. I've been perfectly happy with my lefty Stag.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    As a lefty, I would recommend against a LH-specific AR, unless your sole purpose for shooting the gun is competition. Once you teach yourself the muscle memory needed to operate the controls on a RH AR, you will become just as adept with the weapon as a righty. If I were a serious 3-gun competitor, I could see the advantage of having the mag release on the left and the carrier return control on the right (subtracts a second on reloads, I would guess).

I have never felt disadvantaged shooting a standard AR rifle. With that in mind, get the gun that has the features you like.

Its not all about muscle memory. Theres also the factor of which eye is dominant. If your left eye dominant, its dumb to shoot right handed.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I know it's not an AR platform, but Kel-Tec makes an ambidextrious .308 semi-auto bullpup. Spent shell casings eject out the front and all the controls are reversable. Nice for Lefties.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Its not all about muscle memory. Theres also the factor of which eye is dominant. If your left eye dominant, its dumb to shoot right handed.

Totally agree. However, if the OP meant shooting LH and being left-eye dominant, then my original comment stands as is. I shoot unaltered AR's left-handed (left-eye dominant as well), and have just developed the muscle memory to work the right-handed controls for (relatively) quick reloads. Brass does not bounce off my head, and gas expulsion isn't an issue, even shooting suppressed.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I too am a lefty, and all my AR's are right handed. That's the way the Army taught me to shoot them and I have never had a problem. On the other hand, my bolt guns are all left handed.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm a lefty and I have zero issue shooting a standard AR. I've installed a ambi safety, but even that wasn't really that necessary.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    Speaking of Army training. Those dam brass deflectors they made me strap to the carry handle would sent the freshly ejected brass occasionally go right down my bdu top. Dam they are HOT!. Without the deflector n/p at all.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I've handled the new SIG 516, it's worth checking out.

Nice rifle, the lower reminds me of the Knight's Armament style.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    I too am a lefty, and all my AR's are right handed. That's the way the Army taught me to shoot them and I have never had a problem. On the other hand, my bolt guns are all left handed.

Its def. changed since then, lol. When I was down at Benning, they did it by dominace of the eye. So alot of right handed guys had to shoot left handed.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Its def. changed since then, lol. When I was down at Benning, they did it by dominace of the eye. So alot of right handed guys had to shoot left handed.

Really? I'm right handed, left eye dominate and I've been shooting just fine for years. Admitidly I'm no sniper and I use my right eye to shoot long guns, but it hasn't caused any difficulty for me.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    the way i gather, a lot of lefties shoot regular ARs. Some just put ambi safeties on it. Sound advice. thank you. Iam leaning towards stag M8 or sig 516. for the price, i can get the stag + an aimpoint for the price of the sig 516. but the sig tickles my fancy just because it's a sig. but since iam illiterate on ARs i may not know what iam saying. that's why i came here to solicit advice from my fellow mdshooters. probably there are far more better AR platform out there but, I just need advice on choosing between Stag M8 and the Sig 516. thank you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Are you set on buying a .223? Have you seen the AR-57 upper? It uses the 5.7 FN cartridge. Empties eject out of the mag well. It's pretty slick, and the ammo price isn't bad.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom