• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am setting up my new Lee auto drum powder dispenser to use for the first time. For reasons unknown to me the red powder container has become detached from the black grommet that fits into the top of the casting. I have deduced that the rim of the screw needs to go under the lip of the gromet. However, I have not been able to fit the pin on the opposite side into the slot in the gromet. Should I lubricate something? Remove the grommet from the casting? something else? I don't want to force anything in place.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Never mind. I figured it out. The "pin" does not go in the slot in the grommet. The grommet slot is actually a pin that fits into the casting.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Its been sticky trying to get the powder hopper grommet out of the casting. I think I'm going to lube it. Is graphite powder the appropriate material for the job?

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Its been sticky trying to get the powder hopper grommet out of the casting. I think I'm going to lube it. Is graphite powder the appropriate material for the job?

Graphite is fine.

Also, just be aware that certain drums may leak with fine powders. The drums should be adjusted quite tight, and you may have to swap drums until you find a combo that doesn't leak. Lee customer service is very helpful if you do have an issue with leaking drums and will probably offer to send you some replacement drums to dry.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Graphite is fine.

Also, just be aware that certain drums may leak with fine powders. The drums should be adjusted quite tight, and you may have to swap drums until you find a combo that doesn't leak. Lee customer service is very helpful if you do have an issue with leaking drums and will probably offer to send you some replacement drums to dry.

ok, thanks. Thus far I have used Varget and 800X without issue.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Loaded up a couple hundred last weekend. After emptying the hopper the hard way, I carefully pried the black grommet out of the casting and applied some powdered graphite to the inner lip of the casting and the outside of the grommet. It now works better.

A new question: Lee Autodrum powder measure: it comes with "large" and "small" capacity drums. As far as I can see, the only difference is the small has the plug already installed in the metering tube. Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom