• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OBTW Combloc - yet another awesome post. You contribute to Saturday morning recovery from the work week.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Actually mine is the PPK made by Smith and Wesson licensed by Walther. .380 caliber. It has the larger beaver tail so I've never had any slide bite and I've got fairly large hands. It is not a range toy though. It is not something you want to run a couple boxes of ammo through. It is a beautiful design gun and feels great in the hand. Mine had some issues when I bought it(used)so I sent it to Walther in Arizona and they said it couldn't be fixed in a reasonable amount of time due to their plant relocation so they sent me a brand new one! It was about four years old but they still replaced it no charge. I'm glad they replaced it because I heard some of the earlier S&W made PPK's had problems. This one has been flawless. Very cool little pistol.

jlwpapa

Sep 14, 2022
    I have a 1970 Interarms import in .380 I'm getting ready to sell. I bought it years ago but could never make myself shoot it because the there is almost zero wear:

P1150444_zpssgguso38.jpg

P1150443_zpsjwwhyoit.jpg

P1150440_zpsyc7ua7jm.jpg

P1150439_zps0oy83zxs.jpg

P1170783_zpsbrrhkl6t.jpg

P1170784_zps6pagaaai.jpg
    I have one also that was a gift from an old friend, looks like a 1969 model (69 antler proof mark on barrel) beginning with serial # 136XXX. It also is almost perfect! I also have 3 additional magazines for it. Any idea what the market value is today. Thanks for your help.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The Walther PPK/s was the first .380 I bought since I grew up with James Bond. However, I have big hands I hated shooting it since there was always a gap between my hand and the backstrap. Whenever the gun would fire, it would slam back into my hand. It wasn't a huge gap, but big enough that after a handful of rounds my hand was already sore. After a box, I would have blisters.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    My wife has always been a Bond fan, she even read all the original books. I keep looking at the PPK/S and talking myself out of it.
    This thread cost me some money.

Went out to look for a PPK, came home with a Sig P225.
    From what I have read, IMHO you will be much happier with the SIG. I had to look up the 225, I have a few 22x's in my stable and love shooting them all. Can't beat German engineering.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Love my PPK/S .380, new like 2 years ago. From what I understand it’s very slightly re-engineered and isn’t so prone to slide bite. At least I hope so. It hasn’t gotten me yet, but looking at it I can see where it could be possible. I need to shoot it more, I really like shooting it. Mine is extremely accurate, especially for having what amounts to no real practical sights to speak of. It shoots groups at 20 yards just as good as any of my full-size “shooters” for the most part. One day I’d consider adding some older versions to the stable.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    From what I have read, IMHO you will be much happier with the SIG. I had to look up the 225, I have a few 22x's in my stable and love shooting them all. Can't beat German engineering.

This is one of the 'new' 225s. I didn't pick up a P6 when german law enforcement ditched the P5/P6/P7. I like it. Shoots very well. Good for people who don't have the giant paddle hands required for a 229 with factory grips.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    My wife has always been a Bond fan, she even read all the original books. I keep looking at the PPK/S and talking myself out of it.

The Walther P5 was also a "Bond" gun. Much larger than a PPK and in 9mm. The last iteration of the P38 and an interesting piece, especially the left side ejection port. It's about the same size as the Sig P6. I have both, but I'm better with the P6.

Attachments

• 20220320_160033.jpg
      20220320_160033.jpg
      402 KB · Views: 42
    • 20220320_160051.jpg
      20220320_160051.jpg
      349.9 KB · Views: 48
    Last edited:

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Interesting list of Bond's guns:
    https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_firearms

Turns out I already have a Bond gun, HK P7M8 in 9mm. It is the only gun I have that is unfired. I bought one and shot it quite a bit, but the finish started flaking off. I sent it to HK and while they had it, I added some other ponies to the stable. By the time they sent it back, my interest had waned. When I opened the package, I found it was a new unfired gun.
    Icebreaker1983
    • Heckler & Koch P7 9mm becomes Bond's main gun in this adventure.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have a stainless PPK/S (S&W) that I really loved but had two major issues with it: the grip and the crappy sights. The grip had really sharp edges which is what caused the pain in my strong hand when shooting. The sights (which are part of the slide and not removable) were very short and hard for me to pick up. So, I sent the gun off to Novak Sights and had them mill off the old sights and mill in Novak dovetails and install night sights. I then had them send the gun off to a gunsmith in MA and had him do a melt job, paying particular attention to the grip. I now love this gun and will probably never sell it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Walther PPK/s was the first .380 I bought since I grew up with James Bond. However, I have big hands I hated shooting it since there was always a gap between my hand and the backstrap.

I've got XXL hands and never noticed that backstrap issue . Mainly because l was distracted by my hand being sliced by the slide .

OMD6dawg

1. I prefer the grip of the PPK/s ( or PP) to the true PPK.
    2. I would rather have a 7.65 than a 9mm kurz( generally, and Walther in particular ).
    3. They bite . 1 magful wouldn't bleed much , but any range session would need a shooting glove .
    For my Interarms PPK, I purchased an additional piece that butts up against the original beaver tail that keeps the slide from biting your hand. Let me go find the old eBay link.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have a stainless PPK/S (S&W) that I really loved but had two major issues with it: the grip and the crappy sights. The grip had really sharp edges which is what caused the pain in my strong hand when shooting. The sights (which are part of the slide and not removable) were very short and hard for me to pick up. So, I sent the gun off to Novak Sights and had them mill off the old sights and mill in Novak dovetails and install night sights. I then had them send the gun off to a gunsmith in MA and had him do a melt job, paying particular attention to the grip. I now love this gun and will probably never sell it.
    What is a "melt job"? Pictures?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    This thread jolted my memory I have a SIG 232 stainless with something 7 or 8 spare mags in a safe ... my “tuxedo gun” … I use ppk / ppks when shopping for holsters for the 232 and I always meant to ascertain just what - if any - differences are between the 232 and the ppk / ppks … anyone know?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Two completely different guns. One manufactured by Sig Sauer and one by Walther. Similar in size and caliber, capacity etc. I'm not sure if Sig makes them any longer.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Some of the S&W made PPK/Ss were the subject of a recall. Check your serial number. The pistols would fire when disengaging the safety selector, with a round chambered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom