• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some case lots of Tula AK with the 8m3 bullets available at SGAmmo. Limited quantity. About 23 cents per round with shipping.

Some case lots of Tula AK with the 8m3 bullets available at SGAmmo. Limited quantity. About 23 cents per round with shipping.

I thought they were gone for good. I just sold 300rds in the MDS classifieds for $2 less than SG Ammo is offering 300 for w/shipping- and that is when I still thought they were unobtanium.
    There are 14 cases of 1000rds available as of 2:24pm today.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah I thought it was gonna get banned but the media didn't hype the killy bullets issue so after everyone cleaned out the available stock some more was imported.

There's no reason to assume that availability will continue so if someone feels that would be a good fit with their concerns it might be a good idea to grab some.

Last edited:
    May 13, 2005
    They also have Red Army 8v3 ammo. Projectiles have the same precuts as the 8m3, but they are also have a boat tail. I've shot quite a bit both through multiple platforms and have had slightly better groupings overall with the 8v3.

For those not familiar, 8M3 and 8V3 bullets expand within a few inches and fragment. They are some very violent projectiles. I don't want to call them "exploding", but they cause insane tissue damage on hogs and are the "go to" projectiles for DRT in 7.62x39.
    The Austin shooter bragged about why he chose them and the shelves were cleaned out within hours- everyone expected a ban. SG Ammo (sole importer) hadn't had them since that day and everyone (read "I") thought they were gone for good.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For those not familiar, 8M3 and 8V3 bullets expand within a few inches and fragment. They are some very violent projectiles. I don't want to call them "exploding", but they cause insane tissue damage on hogs and are the "go to" projectiles for DRT in 7.62x39.
    The Austin shooter bragged about why he chose them and the shelves were cleaned out within hours- everyone expected a ban. SG Ammo (sole importer) hadn't had them since that day and everyone (read "I") thought they were gone for good.
    I see a bit of a mixed bag in testing though. Some show great results and some the projectile just deforms a little. I suspect it’s an issue with the testing media in the poor performing case.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I see a bit of a mixed bag in testing though. Some show great results and some the projectile just deforms a little. I suspect it’s an issue with the testing media in the poor performing case.

Yeah, there were a few people testing the modern Tulammo 8m3 ammo on the AK Files. If I recall, most had mediocre results with the modern stuff. I have a couple boxes of the old stuff, in the white/blue boxes, and comparing the two rounds side by side, the old 8m3 and the newe Tulammo, they look the same except the old stuff was coated in lacquer. I have some older 8hp ammo too, but haven't shot that. I wouldn't pay a premium for the modern 8m3, or rush to hoard it. I think the Brown Bear soft points tested pretty well.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/brown-bear-762x39-sp-125-grain-20-rounds?a=220562

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, there were a few people testing the modern Tulammo 8m3 ammo on the AK Files. If I recall, most had mediocre results with the modern stuff. I have a couple boxes of the old stuff, in the white/blue boxes, and comparing the two rounds side by side, the old 8m3 and the newe Tulammo, they look the same except the old stuff was coated in lacquer. I have some older 8hp ammo too, but haven't shot that. I wouldn't pay a premium for the modern 8m3, or rush to hoard it. I think the Brown Bear soft points tested pretty well.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/brown-bear-762x39-sp-125-grain-20-rounds?a=220562

Yeah surpassingly the brown/silver bear HP and SP stuff seems to work pretty well. I picked up some silver bear JHP 9mak as it’s the only 9mak I can find test results for that actually seems to reliably expand that isn’t Hornady critical defense (not that I have anything against it, but at 80 cents a round versus 25 cents a round...)

If my Cz83 was an actual carry piece I’d get the best defensive ammo I could. But since it’s not and at best it would be a 2nd or 3rd choice out of the safe I don’t feel too bad. The silver bear jhp 9mak does seem to have issues expanding in heavy denim, but lighter clothing/bare gel it does surprisingly well.

It would be nice to get some 7.62x39 that expands well and is inexpensive to load up on. X39 fmj might be fat, but it doesn’t seem to have the mind of performance close in that m193 does with tumbling and fragmenting.

I don’t mind Hornady steel case with SST for hunting and what not, but at 50 cents a round, not loading up 250 rounds of it or whatever just to have some stuff handy for my SKS (more like a box).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    On top of the Tula flavor, SGAmmo also has the wolf branded 8m3 also from Ulyanovsk. Far as I know it's exactly the same as the Tula, just branded/packaged as wolf.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf...124-grain-hollow-point-ammo-made-ulyanovsk-ca

As far as finding reliably expanding ammo in 7.62x39, I think Soft Points are the way to go. Not much hype behind them, but the soft point design is reliable and it's pretty easy to tell if it's a soft point or not. SGAmmo has them in 124 and 154 grain bullets. Never going to be as high quality as American ammo, but they supposedly work well.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/tula-ammo-sale/1000-round-case-762x39-124-grain-soft-point-tula-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/product/tula...o-soft-point-154-grain-non-corrosive-made-ucw

I also noticed that Prvi Partisan ammo has come down in price recently for 7.62x39, so maybe we will luck out and they will make some soft points available in the 30ish cpr range.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Are these only for the AK or can a SKS shoot em , Asking for a friend :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On top of the Tula flavor, SGAmmo also has the wolf branded 8m3 also from Ulyanovsk. Far as I know it's exactly the same as the Tula, just branded/packaged as wolf.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf...124-grain-hollow-point-ammo-made-ulyanovsk-ca

As far as finding reliably expanding ammo in 7.62x39, I think Soft Points are the way to go. Not much hype behind them, but the soft point design is reliable and it's pretty easy to tell if it's a soft point or not. SGAmmo has them in 124 and 154 grain bullets. Never going to be as high quality as American ammo, but they supposedly work well.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/tula-ammo-sale/1000-round-case-762x39-124-grain-soft-point-tula-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/product/tula...o-soft-point-154-grain-non-corrosive-made-ucw

I also noticed that Prvi Partisan ammo has come down in price recently for 7.62x39, so maybe we will luck out and they will make some soft points available in the 30ish cpr range.

That’s my hope. PPU ain’t the best, but I’ve had good results with it (both accuracy and reliable expansion, at least with SP)

IMHO one problem with 7.62x39 is brass cased ammo is so much more expensive than “it should be” based on the size of everything and volume sold.

I am sure it’s because of the upside of 7.62x39 that pretty much everything made in it was designed to use steel cases ammo and almost everything designed in it shoots steel cases ammo fine. So stell cased ammo for it is stupid cheap.

If Russian imports were banned, I bet brass cases ammo in x39 would probably go down $1-3 a box after a few years of non-Russian factories upping output.

Not that I’d want that. Just thinking out loud.

Sirex