• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Need some advice from those of you in Carroll County with children in the school system. Is Carroll dealing with school overcrowding in particular areas? Is their redistricting issues/concerns in Carroll County?

If I wanted to move to Carroll County and schools are the #1 priority (i.e., my wife), where should I be looking to move to in Carroll County, knowing that I have kids that are 12, 10, 6, and 2, which means the youngest will not be done with grade school for 16+ years but the oldest will be in high school in 2 years.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I don't know about now, but when Manchester Valley opened they were dramatically underenrolled.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If I had to do it today I'd seriously go private. MD public schools are indoctrination camps. Privates generally don't tolerate the factors that plague the publics either. Discipline is important and unavailable in the public systems.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don't know about now, but when Manchester Valley opened they were dramatically underenrolled.
    That’s because the year it opened they only had a freshman class. All the area’s upperclassmen stayed at North Carroll HS until graduating. The next year those freshman became the school’s 1st Sophomore class along with a new Freshman class, next year they became Juniors, etc...and so on..... until they finally had a full enrollment, as they eventually closed North Carroll HS.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

Manchester Valley!
    Manchester, Lineboro area!
    North area.

Hampstead is crowed with people Moving from Baltimore and Reisterstown area.

Westminster is becoming a little Baltimore with people from the city.. Schools is on the edge of being a problem! The city council is lost touch, lots of homeless!

Edlersburg/ Sykesville is Baltimore!

Jmts

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    You can find student-to-teacher ratios here:

https://www.greatschools.org/

I've not seen overcrowding in 20 years of my kids attending schools in the North Carroll area. Maybe sharing a locker once in a while at most - which is minor compared to the mayhem and degeneracy going on in many public schools in MD.

As far as trends or redistricting, you may have to dig through the Carroll County Times or social media groups.

Good luck.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Manchester Valley!
    Manchester, Lineboro area!
    North area.

Hampstead is crowed with people Moving from Baltimore and Reisterstown area.

Westminster is becoming a little Baltimore with people from the city.. Schools is on the edge of being a problem! The city council is lost touch, lots of homeless!

Jmts

lol - like Baltimore City or Baltimore County? Hard to believe that the Eldersburg/Sykesville area is like Baltimore City. If so, Ellicott City is a third world country.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Overcrowding is not a problem for the most part. They've actually removed portables from a couple schools the last 2 years. There is at least 1 more middle school they want to close because of dropped enrollment and maintenance issues (it is an old school). Check their website for board of ed minutes. Meetings are televised in county and I think they are also streamed online (not positive about that).

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    lol - like Baltimore City or Baltimore County? Hard to believe that the Eldersburg/Sykesville area is like Baltimore City. If so, Ellicott City is a third world country.

It's not either. Yet. Go a mile north on 32 or west on 26, and you are fine. We have two boys in Eldersburg schools, and I try and keep a close watch. Most of the parents that I know (and we've been here ~20 years) are still conservative. Though I'm not sure about the younger families coming in (both mine are middle school age).

I give it 10 or 15 years and Eldersburg will be like Owings Mills. I will be gone by then.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    It's not either. Yet. Go a mile north on 32 or west on 26, and you are fine. We have two boys in Eldersburg schools, and I try and keep a close watch. Most of the parents that I know (and we've been here ~20 years) are still conservative. Though I'm not sure about the younger families coming in (both mine are middle school age).

I give it 10 or 15 years and Eldersburg will be like Owings Mills. I will be gone by then.

Word, the libs be a coming this way. The free thinkers must be pushed out.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    So far for the 13 years we have been in the school system around Sykesville and Eldersburg it has been fine. But there have been some trends showing creep of problematics to the east side and libs in the south end( this isn’t too bad yet). I would stick to the south western side or Manchester like area.

Last edited:

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    There is a private school on 140, just west of 91. St Johns parish in wes minster has a school k-8 and DeLone HS is just over the Pa line.

Staying close to 70 may open up carpool options should the kids want a private school in Baltimore. My eldest daughter carpooled or drove from fdrk to mt de sales as did several kids heading to MSJ.

The 140 corridor gives you better access to many schools in Baltimore (maryvale, McDonough, etc). Some even run a bus

We homeschooled our youngest for her SR year and wish we would have made that decision much earlier. I know it’s not for everyone but sure worked well for her

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Jmts

We actually live there and I would have to disagree. Fabs, we have had a very positive experience in the CC school system, here in Eldersburg.

Carrolltowne, Orms, Liberty.

Liberty HS is a great school. Don't let people tell you that Century is better. Yes the building is newer. But the teachers are better at Liberty.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Also if you move to this area, and your oldest goes to Liberty, my son can help him/her assimilate. He hangs out with mostly the smartest, and has good conservative values. Liberty has a great athletic program as well.

My daughter confirmed that Liberty is NOT overcrowded.

Sirex