Is a screenshot of your fishing license valid for DNR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I don’t have a printer, so I am reluctant to get my Fishing license through the online Compass system since I can’t print it. If approached by a DNR officer, would a screen shot on my phone of my license work or do they literally want a piece of paper? Trying to decide if I should just drag my arse to WalMart and get my fishing license there.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I don’t have a printer, so I am reluctant to get my Fishing license through the online Compass system since I can’t print it. If approached by a DNR officer, would a screen shot on my phone of my license work or do they literally want a piece of paper? Trying to decide if I should just drag my arse to WalMart and get my fishing license there.

I purchases mine on a computer. I chose the “print to pdf” printer and emailed it to myself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I purchases mine on a computer. I chose the “print to pdf” printer and emailed it to myself.

This. You can save it as a PDF and it’s valid form for hunting and fishing licenses for a couple years now. Still have to have your DL or state ID with you.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    You can download a copy of your license already in PDF format from the Compass website. Save it to your phone and your good to go.
    If you want a hard copy, put it on a USB drive and head to staples/ups store/fedex or the like and print it out.

I have had only once been given grief over the copy on my phone, he insisted it must be signed. Though his partner told him it was OK.

If you go to one of the places that needs a permit to fish at, when you go to get the permit I have had them refuse it on a phone had to be paper. (they needed to make a copy for thier file) (This was at Patuxent Wildlife Refuge, for a permit to fish the North Tract and Cash's lake. Which is part of the federal Fish and Wildlife Service and not a Maryland thing.)

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    As of two or three years ago, you can just pull it up on your phone via pdf, screenshot, or the DNR app. It's now mentioned in the regs. I got checked while waterfowl hunting last season. My paper license had gotten wet in my coat pocket and was unreadable. But I remembered my DNR ID# and had my drivers license so he just looked me up that way. I also had it on my phone and offered to show it to him on there, but he had already pulled up my license and entire purchase history on his laptop.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since, according to Compass, you can just show the number, then yes, as long as the image has the number.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Currently,, you do not NEED a fishing lic in MD, as MD is in a state of emergency and you are not required to have current registations, licenses, etc until 30 days after the state of emergency is lifted

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Currently,, you do not NEED a fishing lic in MD, as MD is in a state of emergency and you are not required to have current registations, licenses, etc until 30 days after the state of emergency is lifted

Mandatory preface, IANAL.

I think this would only apply if your fishing license had expired during the state of emergency.
    From the executive order:
    I. This Order applies to all licenses, permits, registrations, and other
    authorizations issued by the State of Maryland, any agency of the
    State of Maryland, or any political subdivision of the State of
    Maryland, including, without limitation, driver's licenses, vehicle
    registrations, and professional licenses (collectively, the "Covered
    Authorizations"), that would otherwise:
    a. expire during the state of emergency and catastrophic health
    emergency; and
    b. be renewable during the state of emergency and catastrophic
    health emergency under applicable laws and regulations.​
    II. The expiration date of each Covered Authorization is hereby
    extended to the 30th day after the date by which the state of
    emergency is terminated and the catastrophic health emergency is
    rescinded.

I know there was some discussion of subsistence fishing being allowed when recreational fishing was banned... I don't know if there could be some sort of exception for subsistence fishing during a state of emergency.
    Regardless, as long as the online licensing system is working, I wouldn't want to be the test-case for fishing without a license.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You can download a copy of your license already in PDF format from the Compass website. Save it to your phone and your good to go.
    If you want a hard copy, put it on a USB drive and head to staples/ups store/fedex or the like and print it out.

I have had only once been given grief over the copy on my phone, he insisted it must be signed. Though his partner told him it was OK.

If you go to one of the places that needs a permit to fish at, when you go to get the permit I have had them refuse it on a phone had to be paper. (they needed to make a copy for thier file) (This was at Patuxent Wildlife Refuge, for a permit to fish the North Tract and Cash's lake. Which is part of the federal Fish and Wildlife Service and not a Maryland thing.)

I had a pdf printout, forgot to sign. DNR guy was mad.
    Meanwhile, all the illegals over the creel limit were running up the hills from the lake

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Because Ive never done it, are the PDF files for the hunting license able to be edited and saved to compass in real time ? You're supposed to complete the license at the place of kill and have 24hrs. prior to completing the check in procedure by phone as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom