• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What is the best way to humanely kill a fish? Bop in the head? Throw it in a cooler with ice? Chop head off with cleaver? I haven’t been fishing since I was a kid but I want to get back into it, so I’ll admit to be being an idiot on fishing related matters.

I hope to get my license and a rod/reel this weekend and cast a line sometime soon.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What is the best way to humanely kill a fish? Bop in the head? Throw it in a cooler with ice? Chop head off with cleaver? I haven’t been fishing since I was a kid but I want to get back into it, so I’ll admit to be being an idiot on fishing related matters.

I hope to get my license and a rod/reel this weekend and cast a line sometime soon.

Assume you're just fishing off a pier? No boat or anything so just throw them in a cooler full of ice. Or if they're not toothy stick your thumb in their mouth and pull their head up, breaking their spine. Some guys bleed out fish under the gills but I never have.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Don’t chop off the head. It’s illegal in most places cuz DNR can’t determine size.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    When I fished stocked trout ponds in Germany long ago, they were VERY, VERY strict about ending the fish(s) life immediately after you caught it. You had to hit it over the head to knock it out and then stab it in the heart.

I'm not kidding. The Forestmeister whom always seemed to be around, would ticket/fine you heavily if you did not follow the regulation.

I always thought it was bizarre for them to adopt this practice; being that they were so adept not too long ago with dispatching humans. It was just unnerving.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Most fish don't last long in a cooler full of ice. Larger fish and more rambunctious fish can be subdued with a firm tap to the top of the head, just above and behind the eyes. I have an old Orioles souvenir bat that works well for this and a couple other things.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Most fish don't last long in a cooler full of ice. Larger fish and more rambunctious fish can be subdued with a firm tap to the top of the head, just above and behind the eyes. I have an old Orioles souvenir bat that works well for this and a couple other things.

At least your Orioles bat is good at something. Certainly it's not good at winning baseball games.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    At least your Orioles bat is good at something. Certainly it's not good at winning baseball games.
    LOL. I think I got it at 'Safety Patrol Day at Orioles Park" about a half-century ago, the last game I attended. It has been a faithful companion on many adventures.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    When I fished stocked trout ponds in Germany long ago, they were VERY, VERY strict about ending the fish(s) life immediately after you caught it. You had to hit it over the head to knock it out and then stab it in the heart.

I'm not kidding.
    The Forestmeister whom always seemed to be around, would ticket/fine you heavily if you did not follow the regulation.

I always thought it was bizarre for them to adopt this practice; being that they were so adept not too long ago with dispatching humans. It was just unnerving.

LOL You gotta love those Krauts, they always were efficient killers.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Cleaving the head IMO is best but not the most practical while in the act of fishing. Even back on shore one must be careful to not slice open the gall bladder. Bile is some nasty stuff. You should always be aware of creel limits. DNR does not like it when you clean a fish because they cannot verify size which can lead to an immediate fine. All that said, the most practical and best (again IMO) for meat quality is to entomb them in ice. Some people swear that bleeding them (either by ripping or slicing gills) significantly improves the dining experience. I never have and don't think I ever will as my palate is not that refined.

Tight lines

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    308 will kill fish for sure. Just to be safe, I whip out my 50 bmg pistol though.

Some of the other methods mentioned in this thread work, but are not guaranteed like 308.

I have seen ruskies use grenades, but you can too easily go over your limit and get a fine.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You might want to put them in the cooler first if you opt to club them in order to reduce the amount of fish jive that tends to splatter all over your formerly clean cockpit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I stream and river fish. Most of the time I just keep a bucket around half filled with water and toss them in the bucket. When I get them home either fill them or snap their head with a thumb in their mouth depending on the species.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
      fish1.jpg
      11.8 KB · Views: 430

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads