• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Even within the 680 series of guns there’s such a big window depending on used, new, condition, barrel length, screw chokes or fixed, etc. I’ve seen old fixed choke 686’s go for $1000 to 687 EELL’s at $8000.00.

I really like Etchens. They know their stuff. And can help with fitting. You could call Etchen and see if they could price match the one in the Basspro link. It’s currently on sale.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Beretta-686-Silver-Pigeon-I-Sporting-OverUnder-Shotgun

https://www.joeletchenguns.com

Full disclosure, I have no affiliation with Etchens. They’re the biggest Beretta dealer in the country for a reason. They know how to treat the customer. They understand it’s a big purchase for the customer. Whether the gun is a $1000 or $30,000.

Adjustable comb model.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/new-guns/browning/citori-cxs

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    He's willing to travel an hour from Gettysburg for a FTF, which puts most of N. MD within reach. You could meet at an FFL but I don't think you have to.

Wrong.

Transfer across state lines REQUIRES an FFL. That is Federal Law.

But yes, he could drive to a PA FFL, meet the seller there, and the seller gives to FFL, FFL transfers to buyer.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Hi Everyone.
    Went to PG Skeet a few times and I loved it. Thought I'd perhaps get myself an O/U to bring to that location. Also can be my first hunting shotgun, whenever it is I get around to getting my hunting License.

I'm just starting out and not a whole lot of funds to drop on a Berreta or Browning. Does anyone have any long term experience with Tristar or Hatfield O/U shotguns?

Otherwise I would skip O/U altogether and get a Mossberg 500.

Thanks!

I'm gonna start using my Maverick 88 until I get the Stoeger FTS Condor Over/Under Shotgun!!!!!!

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I'm gonna start using my Maverick 88 until I get the Stoeger FTS Condor Over/Under Shotgun!!!!!!

My feelings about Stoeger Firearms.
    8a59f5e0a4fd1aa8f339baf5c1101831.gif

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Not in a good way. I’ll just come out and say that they’re junk. I haven’t met one person that didn’t regret buying one.

Yea I do believe you get what you pay for but FOR the amount of shooting that I do I can't justify the 4 digit O/U purchase.
    PS I have made many budget purchases in the pass and afterwards was like that was a damn waste of money so in the future I don't wanna hear "I TOLD YOU SO"
    :deadhorse:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yea I do believe you get what you pay for but FOR the amount of shooting that I do I can't justify the 4 digit O/U purchase.
    PS I have made many budget purchases in the pass and afterwards was like that was a damn waste of money so in the future I don't wanna hear "I TOLD YOU SO"

Just to beat the horse a little more for tenderising. I agree with AA. I had one friend buy a Stoeger Condor o/u and his shooting went to crap. At first, we both said it was just a matter of getting used to the gun. A full season of clays and hunting and his shooting was miserable whereas before buying the Stoeger he would rival me. So, in late winter we went to shoot hand thrown clays at a farm and he was still missing. So, I hung a clay on a tree and had him shoot it. Bottom barrel, no problem..Top barrel he could not hit it. We had to play around to see where that top barrel was shooting. The two barrels were not shooting in the same spot. Guess another lesson was learned. If he had patterned both barrels, he would have known the top barrel was way off.

Hard to believe that Beretta owns Stoeger and allows such crappy quality control. Then again, I guess that is the difference between $500 and $1,500 for an o/u.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

I understand not everyone can justify a $1000+ gun. My recommendation has always been to stick with pumps or autos if that is the case. You’d be better off buying a $400 Remington 870 or used 1100 than that Stoeger. A used Winchester 101 or a used SKB would be better also but I don’t know the going rates for them these days. They may be in the $700 range. Those guns won’t break. After 10’s of thousands of rounds if something does break anyone can fix it with parts widely available. Not so much with the Stoeger. Or just stick with your Maverick or buy another Mossberg. The crazy thing is Stoeger is owned by Benelli which is owned by Beretta.

I’m not sure I understand your PS comment but the way I read it is that you’ve bought cheap things before and it’s come back to haunt you but you’re going to do it again? And you don’t want to hear I told you so? All I can say is some people learn from their mistakes and some don’t. Good luck with whatever you buy. Peace out.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Stoeger O/U's don't have the best reputation but I've had fantastic luck with their M3000 semi auto. Uses very similar inertia system as the Benelli and accepts many Benelli internal parts. My M3000 has jammed once (FTE) out of several thousand rounds so far. Sometimes I rattle off shots as quickly as possible just to try to get it to jam; doesn't happen. I am 100% satisfied with my $500 shotgun that can take abuse in the field or the range.

If you're set on a budget O/U, the Tristar is far superior in my experience. I own a 12g Setter model and it has always fired. I have maybe 7,000 rounds through it so far. And the gun set me back about $400. When I upgrade it will be a backup/loaner gun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just to beat the horse a little more for tenderising. I agree with AA. I had one friend buy a Stoeger Condor o/u and his shooting went to crap. At first, we both said it was just a matter of getting used to the gun. A full season of clays and hunting and his shooting was miserable whereas before buying the Stoeger he would rival me. So, in late winter we went to shoot hand thrown clays at a farm and he was still missing. So, I hung a clay on a tree and had him shoot it. Bottom barrel, no problem..Top barrel he could not hit it. We had to play around to see where that top barrel was shooting. The two barrels were not shooting in the same spot. Guess another lesson was learned. If he had patterned both barrels, he would have known the top barrel was way off.

Hard to believe that Beretta owns Stoeger and allows such crappy quality control. Then again, I guess that is the difference between $500 and $1,500 for an o/u.

Thats an interesting observation and one that not that many people talk about. Cross firing or an open shooting gun can occur in any double gun no matter how well its made or what it cost. You can find out by targeting the barrel by looking at a thick heavy drawn line while looking through the barrels at the same time at the distance or range you plan to shoot. Increasing or decreasing the distance will help determine the amount the barrels need to be spread apart or harder to correct if they need to be brought together.
    All it takes is a threaded choke tube that's not perpendicular to the bore a warped rib or one that's not thick enough out towards the muzzle.
    If the gun cross fires at around thirty yards the barrels will need to be refitted at the breech face and this is one of the reasons a cheap gun will perform better than an expensive one if it happens to need adjusted. Probably another reason why some guns cost a ton of money.
    Same thing for double rifles or drillings, they need to be properly regulated which gets expensive.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Looks nice but I'm pretty sure it's a trap gun also.

Yeah, not much drop at comb. Thing is, a lot of trap guns have Monte Carlo stocks. Maybe the original owner did not want that. Think my Japanese made Lightning has more drop at comb, but it has the same type of butt pad.

Then again, it is a Browning. Where's the puke emoji.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I understand not everyone can justify a $1000+ gun. My recommendation has always been to stick with pumps or autos if that is the case. You’d be better off buying a $400 Remington 870 or used 1100 than that Stoeger. A used Winchester 101 or a used SKB would be better also but I don’t know the going rates for them these days. They may be in the $700 range. Those guns won’t break. After 10’s of thousands of rounds if something does break anyone can fix it with parts widely available. Not so much with the Stoeger. Or just stick with your Maverick or buy another Mossberg. The crazy thing is Stoeger is owned by Benelli which is owned by Beretta.

I’m not sure I understand your PS comment but the way I read it is that you’ve bought cheap things before and it’s come back to haunt you but you’re going to do it again? And you don’t want to hear I told you so? All I can say is some people learn from their mistakes and some don’t. Good luck with whatever you buy. Peace out.

Looking elsewhere but the Stoeger is still on the radar!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom