• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avrose

Mar 30, 2013
    I live just south of Towson inside the city line in a well-to-do neighborhood. The local shopping center has an employee who works for an upscale liquor store (Wells Market) who parades around in broad daylight with a high caliber handgun displayed open carry, frequently walking to other stores in the center to get his lunch (pizza parlor, with kids present during the day). I have no problem with a concealed weapons permit (I am a gun owner), but this does not seem appropriate. I have been unable to find anything regarding the law in this regard.

avrose

Mar 30, 2013
    That's the confusion. Open vs. concealed. I find it hard to believe that Baltimore City, of all places, permits open carry but cannot find the specific law in that regard.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Within the business (as well as home) its OK but once he leaves transport rules apply. Unloaded and in a locked case.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 3. HANDGUN PERMITS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-303 (2012)

§ 5-303. Permit required

A person shall have a permit issued under this subtitle before the person carries, wears, or transports a handgun.

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

(a) Prohibited. --

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.
    (b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

(iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;

(iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;

(v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or

(vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff's deputy;
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishmen​
    t;

That guy is probably police working side job. Probably not a good idea to advertise, I don't understand the open carry idea. If I were the bad guy, I'd whack him in the back of the head and take his gun.
    Concealed carry makes sense to me.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    That guy is probably police working side job. Probably not a good idea to advertise, I don't understand the open carry idea. If I were the bad guy, I'd whack him in the back of the head and take his gun.
    Concealed carry makes sense to me.

Move to rural Coastal NC.....OC is pretty common here. No one gets whacked in the head and gets their gun stolen.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Does he have a Maryland license to carry a handgun? If yes, perfectly fine. If not, it's illegal.

that's technically not true. You're allowed to open carry in MD according to both the US and State of MD constitution.

The entrenched libtards make it as difficult as possible for you though, and instruct police to 'find a way' to arrest you if you open carry to discourage others from doing the same.

And to OP, why is that a big deal? What's wrong with a Liquor Store employee open carrying? They are one of the most robbed businesses, and when did it become a sin to exercise a god given right guaranteed to you under the constitution?

You sound just like the people who deep down equate guns with evil and seek to shield our children from ever knowing that penises, vaginas, and now guns, exist.

Frankly it's a losing battle, and if I may say so, pretty pointless- doing more harm than good in many many many cases

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

Are you sure that the text you quoted is not superseded somewhere else? Because I've been told several times by several law enforcement officers, as well as a Sheriff, that it's TECHNICALLY legal to open carry in MD, but IN PRACTICE completely unacceptable and the police have orders to jail you any way they can if you do.

Then again, I guess police aren't infallible.

Still, kind of weird so many people that are supposed to know being wrong about this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Not touching the debate of OC v CC .)
    W/o a permit Business owners , and certain management employees can carry upon business premises .
    If individual has a permit , it makes no factual distinction between open and concealed. Citizen complaints that they were frightened by is Evil Pistol could (would) result in his permit being revoked by MSP .

gruube

Feb 19, 2008
    that's technically not true. You're allowed to open carry in MD according to both the US and State of MD constitution.

The entrenched libtards make it as difficult as possible for you though, and instruct police to 'find a way' to arrest you if you open carry to discourage others from doing the same.

And to OP, why is that a big deal? What's wrong with a Liquor Store employee open carrying? They are one of the most robbed businesses, and when did it become a sin to exercise a god given right guaranteed to you under the constitution?

You sound just like the people who deep down equate guns with evil and seek to shield our children from ever knowing that penises, vaginas, and now guns, exist.

Frankly it's a losing battle, and if I may say so, pretty pointless- doing more harm than good in many many many cases

I thought the same thing about the OP. He is on a different page than I am.

Feb 28, 2013
    That's the confusion. Open vs. concealed. I find it hard to believe that Baltimore City, of all places, permits open carry but cannot find the specific law in that regard.

Baltimore city does NOT permit open carry, hence the crime rate.

Anywhere else, other than the few other places where it's prohibited such as Leonardtown, Rockville, school zones, churches, public buildings, parks, etc, open carry of LONG GUNS is legal.

As for the bit about the cops being under orders to dream up a reason to arrest you for exercising your Constitutional rights, that smells an awful lot like wild conspiracy theory crapola, and it would hafta happen to someone I know before I'll believe that.

Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    Probably not a good idea to advertise, I don't understand the open carry idea.

Maybe if more people saw guys carrying guns openly and seeing that nothing bad happens just because a citizen is armed we wouldn't be fighting a tidal wave of ignorance that's threatening to wash away our rights.

For example, the OP saw a guy open carrying and sought more information about it. Imagine if others saw the guy and also inquired. Each one could potentially be an ally.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008

+1. I smell troll.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are you sure that the text you quoted is not superseded somewhere else? Because I've been told several times by several law enforcement officers, as well as a Sheriff, that it's TECHNICALLY legal to open carry in MD, but IN PRACTICE completely unacceptable and the police have orders to jail you any way they can if you do.

Then again, I guess police aren't infallible.

Still, kind of weird so many people that are supposed to know being wrong about this.

The permit says "wear or carry a handgun". No distinction is made.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    "Parading around with a high caliber handgun?" So you stopped and asked him what caliber his piece was right? What is a high caliber anyway to you, 9, 45, 50? There were children around and it's inappropriate? How is it inappropriate? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a permit for my job and we open carry everyday. On certain assignments we wear plain clothes and open carry.Md permit makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I live just south of Towson inside the city line in a well-to-do neighborhood. The local shopping center has an employee who works for an upscale liquor store (Wells Market) who parades around in broad daylight with a high caliber handgun displayed open carry, frequently walking to other stores in the center to get his lunch (pizza parlor, with kids present during the day). I have no problem with a concealed weapons permit (I am a gun owner), but this does not seem appropriate. I have been unable to find anything regarding the law in this regard.

If this guy is bothering you because he is OCing... Then, you seriously need to rethink your inclusion in a community built to support the 2A. You are coming off sounding like the very libtard alarmists that we are fighting with for our rights.

Now if you saw a person that was casing the business and found it to be suspicious... Out of concern for the safety of the business, you would do well to tell someone. An employee of that business? Not so much... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom