• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I've had vitrectomies is both eyes for very bad floaters. Find a good retina surgeon. Stay away from Wilmer as they will not treat floaters. I guess they, like our government, know what's best for us. My doctor has offices in Frederick and Towson.

Maybe Wilmers has changed some and/or it depends on the surgeon. Last I was there (cataract surgery) they were recommending a vitrectomy if my floaters got to the intolerable point for me. They definitly do them but as I recall it requires periodic surgical upkeep once you have it done, so they prefer to delay if possible. I’ve been very happy with Columbia offices and will use them when it gets unbearable for me.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    UPDATE:
    I went to an Opthalmologist today. He said my vision is 20/25, as did my regular eye doc. He mentioned nothing about cloudy lens or vitreous fluid, but did say that I am developing cataracts in both eyes (early stage). He attributes my blurry vision to dry eye and gave me drops for that.

We will see how that goes.

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    So I have been having problems with my right eye for a little while now. It seems to be just a touch blurry. I go to the eye doctor and he checks me for detached retina. Not the problem thank goodness. He did say that the lens and the fluid seems a little cloudy. Said there is nothing you can do about it, and it could either stay the same or get worse.

I also have floaters (small hairs in the fluid of the eye) that seem to have merged together and become more noticible. Nothing dangerous, but it drives me crazy.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

I have the exact same symptoms. Floaters started about 6 weeks ago. I hardly notice them anymore. They will go away, takes 2 to 4 months typically. I will occasionally swat at air, thinking there’s a bug flying in my peripheral vision.
    As far as the cloudy lens, that sounds like the early stages of cataracts. Sounds like there may be surgery in your future. The good thing is, after surgery your eyesight will be excellent. Currently I’m 20/30. Can’t wait till I’m back to 20/20.
    Good luck with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Let us know if you start seeing dead people.

:innocent0

But seriously... I hope it turns out to be simple and manageable.

As for Medicare... I already hate it, and it's just the Missus dealing with it.

Joseph IV?

Definitely hope an ophthalmologist can get you fixed. My mom had a detached retina. It was no joke

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    UPDATE:
    I went to an Opthalmologist today. He said my vision is 20/25, as did my regular eye doc. He mentioned nothing about cloudy lens or vitreous fluid, but did say that I am developing cataracts in both eyes (early stage). He attributes my blurry vision to dry eye and gave me drops for that.

We will see how that goes.

Cloudy lens = cataract most likely. Shocked your optometrist didn’t say that.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I hope the drops do it for you. FWIW, my cataract surgeon told me that what may look like a "little" cataract to them can be a "Big" one in terms of impact on the patients vision and that a Dr can't tell. He was right, I had both eyes done a week apart and couldn't be happier. If you notice night driving getting to be a problem due to glares/ halos/ starring and finding you need extra light to read anything (when others don't) then it's time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Isn't that the definition of a cataract????

What's your definition of a Rincoln(there's a tasteless joke in there somewhere...)?

I've tried the drops and gels for dry eye. Both burned badly so I kinda gave up on them. :cool:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've had a few interesting eyeball issues over the last decade.

First one was a sudden rainbow ring appearing in my vision in one eye. Went straight to the ER, they brought in an ophthalmologist who said I had vitreous detachment; the bag of jelly pulled loose from the back of my eye. Had several evaluations to ensure that the retina was not affected. Eventually happened in other eye as well.

One side effect was a floater problem; apparently the back of the bag takes on the form of the inner aspect of the eyeball witin which it resides. Then as the now-free-floating bag moves around, it causes momentary degradation of vision, as oddly-shaped parts of the bag move across the visual field. That was pretty annoying.

Then came cataracts, with the starring and night vision bright-light issues. That was easily dealt with, except for the part where I had to show up for in-and-out surgery at 630AM, since I don't get to sleep before 3. Remarkable improvement in vision, both in acuity and color perception. Highly recommended.

Then the tissue behind the lens started clouding, with a return of cataract-like symptoms. Fifteen minuets in the office with a laser took care of that. (Twice. same problem occurred in both eyes, not simultaneously.)

The floaters continued to be a problem. There's an ophthalmologist in Arlington who developed a laser treatment to basically evaporate the little suckers, but it's considered experimental so no insurance. IIRC he wanted something like 4-5 grand per eyeball. While he's had a lot of success, two other MDs recommended not doing it. Their reasoning was that his process focused on zapping the floaters wherever they might be; inevitably some would be close to the retina, and the energy involved might prove enough to damage it. They said that if I could live with the floaters, don't risk the potential damage. I chose to take their advice.

Floaters can be eliminated by replacing the fluid in the eye with saline, but that too is a risky proposition, with the potential for loss of vision and of course post-op infection. So I'm living with them. They're not so bad, in fact, they seem to be better these days.

A lot of folks here seem to be having serious eye issues. You have my sympathy. Be careful, and be conservative, as you only have two eyeballs, and they are not replaceable.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    My story is very simikar to yours. I had like 5 sessions with Karakoff. It was perfectly safe but ineffective. I then had the surgery you describe (vitrectomy) in each eye. I'm happy I had them.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Suddenly today I started getting flashes in my left eye. Only around the outer edge. Seems to happen mostly when I move my eyes quickly. No pain but has me a little concerned. Just started this evening. If still happening tomorrow I guess I’ll call my ophthalmologist. Just 4 months from Medicare.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So I have been having problems with my right eye for a little while now. It seems to be just a touch blurry. I go to the eye doctor and he checks me for detached retina. Not the problem thank goodness. He did say that the lens and the fluid seems a little cloudy. Said there is nothing you can do about it, and it could either stay the same or get worse.

I also have floaters (small hairs in the fluid of the eye) that seem to have merged together and become more noticible. Nothing dangerous, but it drives me crazy.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

Yuuuuuuuuup!

Exactly.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Suddenly today I started getting flashes in my left eye. Only around the outer edge. Seems to happen mostly when I move my eyes quickly. No pain but has me a little concerned. Just started this evening. If still happening tomorrow I guess I’ll call my ophthalmologist. Just 4 months from Medicare.

Yeah, I ran, not walked to an eye guy when I experienced the same thing. Not IMO something to procrastinate over ...

What about flashes of light?
    Small arc-like momentary flashes of light in the peripheral vision are commonly experienced during vitreous separation. The vitreous pulls on the retina which makes one think they are seeing a light but it is caused by movement of the retina. Sometime the flashes persist for a few months until the vitreous is finished separating. Rarely flashes are associated with a tear in the retina. They should always be evaluated by an eye exam to be sure.

https://www.carolinacataract.com/vision-disorders-charleston/flashes-and-floaters/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom