• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The last 2 times I harvested deer it almost killed me. The first time I quartered the doe about a half mile from a highway in about 8 inches of snow. I had to put the meat in my backpack and also carry the gear I brought with me as well as my rifle. I thought I might have a heart attack.

The last time I put the meat in a game bag and carried it up a steep hill a couple of blocks from my vehicle. Also kicked my butt.

I'm thinking of buying a kid's wagon I saw at Bass Pro today to use to carry the meat out.

Thoughts?

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Having actually used the wagon method before I can say if there are hills you’re not gaining much if you pull it out gutted. Depending on how steep it is you may have to quarter and make another trip. Maybe try a small sled in the snow.

Quartering would likely be the lightest pack you would have. Any chance you could unload your gear the first pack out? Maybe even use a lifeline and phone a friend for assistance. Having said that I did keep a small handcart in my pickup in case I shot one on public land this year but haven’t had the chance to use it for an accurate review. I will say there were no hills though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Have a rope and a small tarp. If there is snow on the ground wrap the meat in the tarp and pull it across the snow. If there is no snow travois work very well. You need a saw or hatchet and binding rope. Cut two small trees with cross braces and use the tarp to hole meat on the travois and off the ground. position meat load closer to the back to reduce weight on your arms. You are only dragging two small points.

If you use a wagon or sled you have to walk back out to get them.

travois-physics.gif

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The last 2 times I harvested deer it almost killed me. The first time I quartered the doe about a half mile from a highway in about 8 inches of snow. I had to put the meat in my backpack and also carry the gear I brought with me as well as my rifle. I thought I might have a heart attack.

The last time I put the meat in a game bag and carried it up a steep hill a couple of blocks from my vehicle. Also kicked my butt.

I'm thinking of buying a kid's wagon I saw at Bass Pro today to use to carry the meat out.

Thoughts?

Jesus no. Sportsman’s guide has a decent deer cart for like $50-70 that works well. Can be taken down a bit for easier transport. It’ll hold something like 200lbs.

Other three suggestions is a better pack as that could be an issue for you. Next is make multiple trips. Especially if you are vaguely close. Last one is get in better shape before hunting season.

But if you are thinking of hauling things, get an actual deer cart. They can be maneuvered over decent sized fallen trees and stuff where most wagons can’t be.

A sled/drag can work too depending on terrain. I mostly drag mine out just using a harness and rope.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Last year 3 nice bucks were shot on opening day.
    The one I shot ran about 30 yards to a steep ravine.....think 70° incline and 300 yards down. Somehow, 10 yards down his hoof got caught between 2 saplings. Made field dressing easy.

My buddy wasnt so lucky. He shot the deer and it dropped......then it slid.......then tumbled end over end all the way to the bottom. We spent over an hour using Bull Tape and an ATV winch.......pulled that sucker up 50' at a time.

I remember the pre ATV days, stripping down to long John bottoms and a t shirt in 20° weather, dragging a deer out of that hole....sweating my ass off, heart about to pound out of my chest. That sucked!

Amazing how quickly those deer can run up and down those mountains!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a couple of blocks, a quarter mile?? that's pretty easy right there. if it's too much meat, take 2 or more trips.

and check out 'bone out.'

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I use either a jet sled/ beaver tail sled or a deer cart. Pros and cons to each depending on where the deer is and where you have to get to. Drill a couple holes in the sled for hills so you can use straps.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I use a long rope. I tie around neck and pull. Hundred times easier than pulling by legs or antlers. And if I had another person they could grab one end.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    a plastic sled works well

This is what I have done while public land hunting. I would stash it on the side while still on the trail. Last time I went there, i was about a mile in and had to cross some marshy areas to get in.

The first time I used it there a hunting partner harvested a very big doe and I think I dragged it a mile along the trail and felt like I could go 5 miles like that.
    Unlike a cart with wheels, you can drag the sled up and over stuff pretty easy. Just use a larger roap like a boat dock line and run it through and around the deers neck so your pulling not just the sled but the deer too so its not slipping and sliding around.

what I have can be noisy if your just letting it flop along though so I would not end up taking it all the way in with me.

Don't recall where we got it but it looks like this:
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...MI2riVtsS73wIVB4zICh1oYwCgEAQYCCABEgJLMPD_BwE

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I use one of those sleds that are used for floating decoys behind a canoe/kayak.They have higher sides than a kids sled,which will keep blood more contained.If I were to drag a great distance,I would cut legs off and maybe the head to reduce weight.I can pull the sled to the back of my SUV and slide the whole thing in myself with little effort.And I dont have to worry about blood getting anywhere.One of the best $50 I ever spent

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster

Seems like a good idea to me? I normally use a game cart though. I try to pick my parking/hunting spot knowing I may have to be dragging something out later as well. Clear dead wood in the afternoon if need be.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have one of those but thought it wouldn't be easy to use. Have you drug a deer out with it?

Over leaves, but I do not have far to drag.

It's not as easy as a cart, but helps creating a frictionless surface. It's a heck of a lot better than dragging dead weight.

Toss 2 bags of feed corn (topsoil works too) on it and give it a tug, to see if it is to your liking. Take enough drag rope to stitch the cargo to the rear of the sled. Hooking the drag rope to the front of the sled without securing your harvest, is not accomplishing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom