• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    You can get started dogs for around that price. They’ll have obedience and some retrieval stuff done already. A lot of times if they can pass the harder trial levels they’ll sell the dogs cheaper.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My neighbor got his yellow Lab up in Amish country in Lancaster PA. Great dog. He is 6+yrs old and super healthy. $600 with AKC papers. He found the breeder online.

Unfortunately, Amish breeders are known for poor care. They are just a piece of merchandise to them. They are also very good at hiding their history. Our Boxer pup came from a highly recommended and researched Amish family breeder outside of Lancaster. He was presented to us, outside with the family's children playing, very clean, etc. Everything looked great, our kids loved him off the bat, great plan.......The next morning, he presented us with a belly full of intestinal worms!!! That's when we found out he also came malnourished, under age (by our vets assessment) and full of intestinal worms. Upon further investigation, shot records were either poorly handled at best, falsified at worst, and the vet who supplied them (supposedly), denied ever having seen these puppies. After spending over $600 at the first vets visit, since our vet didn't believe he had ever seen a vet before (and we agreed).....deworming, puppy shots started over, etc.

scout.5.jpg

Eventually, we were able to get our vet bills paid by the breeder and a partial refund. They offered to fully refund if we returned the puppy, yeah right, tell that to two Autistic kids!!!!!

The bright side is he's now 3 1/2 and a great pup!!

15.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    He’ll be here around the 11th of January. Found him and his brother on the gun dog website I mentioned in a previous post. The kids did a switcharoo on me. The brother was yellow like they wanted but when they saw the picture of him they immediately said they changed their minds and wanted him. He’s got an impressive pedigree should we decide to do some field trial stuff. And if not I’m happy with the price anyway so it’s a win win. Shipped from Iowa he was within our original budget. I’d recommend the site to anyone looking.

Now for the fun part, picking a name. Ultimately the kids will choose but what do you guys think? If y’all have some good ones I can tell the kids to see what they think, or give em some ideas. If it helps the sires name is “Drake Bay’s Home Run Hitter” but he go’s by “Hank”. And the moms name is “Landry’s Vermillion Pearl” and she go’s by “Pearl”. The breeder has been calling them Earl and Merle because the two brothers were the only pups of the litter and the moms name is pearl. I thought that was pretty clever but the kids quickly shot down keeping the name.

Nice looking dog. I tried gundog.com and it is directing me to godaddy. What site did you use to find the little guy?

I am looking at getting two labs possibly this spring and have been trying to figure out which breeder to use. I was about to post a bunch of links to the ones I have been debating. Wish Augie was still around on the Eastern Shore. http://shannondoahretrievers.com/

I got my yellow lab from him a little over 14 years ago and that dog was awesome. Debating a flight out to Wisconsin to see a friend and to meet up with the breeder at Candlewood Labs. Also been debating a breeder in Virginia and a couple in North Carolina. Found this one in Maryland that sounds promising:

http://boldbayretrievers.com/index.html

I'm looking for a great family dog that is also a great hunting dog. My previous was both and he had a lot of the Candlewood bloodline in him. He was an American lab, and a big lab at 105 pounds. His daddy was 125 pounds of solid muscle. So, I am looking for a yellow and a black mail, both American labs bred from larger parents and with hip and eye certs. A decent pedigree would be nice and I am looking to pay around $1,500 for each dog.

Let me know how things go with your dog. If they go well, I would be interested in speaking with the breeder.

Also, if you plan on hunting with the dog, you should start the training as soon as he arrives. Not so much hunting training at that point, but a lot of obedience training. Think that is going to be the toughest part of puppies, training them and dealing with 4 kids at the same time.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Nice looking dog. I tried gundog.com and it is directing me to godaddy. What site did you use to find the little guy?

I am looking at getting two labs possibly this spring and have been trying to figure out which breeder to use. I was about to post a bunch of links to the ones I have been debating. Wish Augie was still around on the Eastern Shore. http://shannondoahretrievers.com/

I got my yellow lab from him a little over 14 years ago and that dog was awesome. Debating a flight out to Wisconsin to see a friend and to meet up with the breeder at Candlewood Labs. Also been debating a breeder in Virginia and a couple in North Carolina. Found this one in Maryland that sounds promising:

http://boldbayretrievers.com/index.html

I'm looking for a great family dog that is also a great hunting dog. My previous was both and he had a lot of the Candlewood bloodline in him. He was an American lab, and a big lab at 105 pounds. His daddy was 125 pounds of solid muscle. So, I am looking for a yellow and a black mail, both American labs bred from larger parents and with hip and eye certs. A decent pedigree would be nice and I am looking to pay around $1,500 for each dog.

Let me know how things go with your dog. If they go well, I would be interested in speaking with the breeder.

Also, if you plan on hunting with the dog, you should start the training as soon as he arrives. Not so much hunting training at that point, but a lot of obedience training. Think that is going to be the toughest part of puppies, training them and dealing with 4 kids at the same time.

Jane breeds quality dogs and has just had a litter.

http://www.andovermeadow.com/home.html

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Unfortunately, Amish breeders are known for poor care. They are just a piece of merchandise to them. They are also very good at hiding their history. Our Boxer pup came from a highly recommended and researched Amish family breeder outside of Lancaster. He was presented to us, outside with the family's children playing, very clean, etc. Everything looked great, our kids loved him off the bat, great plan.......The next morning, he presented us with a belly full of intestinal worms!!! That's when we found out he also came malnourished, under age (by our vets assessment) and full of intestinal worms. Upon further investigation, shot records were either poorly handled at best, falsified at worst, and the vet who supplied them (supposedly), denied ever having seen these puppies. After spending over $600 at the first vets visit, since our vet didn't believe he had ever seen a vet before (and we agreed).....deworming, puppy shots started over, etc.

scout.5.jpg

Eventually, we were able to get our vet bills paid by the breeder and a partial refund. They offered to fully refund if we returned the puppy, yeah right, tell that to two Autistic kids!!!!!

15.jpg

Seems like everything is a crap shoot. We got a lab from Lancaster breeder and couldn't be happier. Breeder was up front about the last two pups left, 1 had a heart murmur and the other was completely healthy. $550 for the healthy one, $450 for the other one.

Our vet had let us know that a murmur can go away with time, but still recommended not getting that one. Of course, when we visited my daughter fell in love with the one with the murmur.

Now, we weren't after AKC champions so take it for what's worth.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Sorry the actual site is gundogcentral.com. We took our son to the doctor yesterday and found out not only does he have RSV, but he also has asthma. So the dog idea is on hold for now unfortunately as the doctor said it’s a no go.

He said give it a year or two to see what go’s on with his asthma and then we should be good. My older kids were really good about it though. They just said we have to worry about our son and the dog will wait.

Thanks for all the advice.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Sorry the actual site is gundogcentral.com. We took our son to the doctor yesterday and found out not only does he have RSV, but he also has asthma. So the dog idea is on hold for now unfortunately as the doctor said it’s a no go.

He said give it a year or two to see what go’s on with his asthma and then we should be good. My older kids were really good about it though. They just said we have to worry about our son and the dog will wait.

Thanks for all the advice.

Oh hell, I am sorry to hear about your son's asthma. We bought our Labrador 3 years before we had our first kid and we were worried to death that one of our kids might be allergic to dogs. We agreed that we would just give Nitro to my parents if that was the case. Luckily, none of the first three were allergic to dogs or had asthma. Unluckily, our oldest has a terrible allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. It is so bad that she went into anaphylactic shock from peanut butter in a Lindt truffle when she was 3. I feel your pain with the asthma. Now, our last child was born 6 months after Nitro passed on. However, she has been around my sister's dog and that has not been an issue.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

scout.5.jpg

15.jpg

Good info. Glad to hear yours is doing good. My neighbors dog always impresses me. He probably just got lucky. I coworker has gotten 3 labs from a breeder in the midwest. A seriously impressive bloodline. They actually harvested sperm from the sire before he passed. Those pups were very pricey. But, they still had issues and passed at young ages. Has gotten one again.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    good to know. Thanks.

Also I was reading that Chocolate labs have more health problems and have the shortest lifespan of the three primary colors. My Biological father got a smaller roan colored one from out in the midwest for duck hunting. She was awesome.

I had a chocolate that lived to be 14 years. Best hunting dog I ever owned! I know of several other chocolates that lived 12-14 years.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    So we spoke with the doctor and got some clarification. Apparently he has a wheeze when he gets colds. So kinda like a baby asthma type deal. The doctor recommended that we try him around dogs and see what happens.

So we took him to a pet store in Columbia today. That place had my eyes watering and I was itchy with the way it smelled. But he played with a collie and a lasa apso (however you spell it), and he had No reaction at all.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with this type of thing? I’m back to wondering if he’d be ok with a dog since that had no effect on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom