• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think the link was for a post count restricted area.

Try this one.

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=52787.msg730312#msg730312

If you already have kits, it may not be worth it. If you don't have a lathe, getting the barrel profiled is the biggest task, when they come back in stock.

Must be it. I hate post count restrictions. I will just go make X amount of junk posts! Being a member for over half a decade does not mean your not a spammer...

I hear Green mountain is making barrels soon. Might just get one of them. Who's HK barrels are they turning?

The more I see, the more I think I am going to let this build shake out a bit before I start.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Its just the classifieds section so it shouldn't be anything over 20 posts, but yeah I'm not a big fan of post requirements. I definitely tend to do a lot more reading than posting.

I think the barrels being offered there are made by PTR which are now oos at hkparts. I also think it's going to be a while yet before Green Mountain gets barrels. They need fluted chambers so they'll have to buy chambered blanks or learn the process.

I was able to get a bunch of "in white" cold hammer forged hk93 barrels so I am using those and will have a few for the shelf.

I don't blame you for waiting. I'm relatively new in the game so this is the first build where I'm able to be on the front lines. Most other builds have been proven and approved designes. I'm enjoying the experimenting and design enough to keep going even if it means having to revise later.

Apex has always been great about shipping kits to an out of state address. They won't part the mags, but they also won't force you to buy the kit without them if you can ship it out of state.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I missed the barrels before they went oos at hkparts, but the main guy selling flats will turn one for $30 (you pay shipping both ways) if you purchase one of his flats.

Not a horrible deal if speed is the game, they are flying on this build which is really nice.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Hey sled, saw you also grabbed a flat over at the Guild.

For the guys that have joined over at weapons guild and gotten flats, but don't have enough posts to see the loaner program, I am on the list for the bending jig. I don't have an eta for the jig yet, but I'm number five so it shouldn't be too long before its headed my way.

If you guys are interested, we could do a short notice get together when the jig comes in. Let me know if you are interested.

Also, having looked at the flat versus the receiver stub, I've decided that the best thing to do is graft the flat onto what's left of the receiver. That means I'm going to have to make a mandrel to get everything lined up properly. I don't have a rotary table for the mill at work, so it will be a homebrew kind of deal, but that's the direction I'm headed.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

For the guys that have joined over at weapons guild and gotten flats, but don't have enough posts to see the loaner program, I am on the list for the bending jig. I don't have an eta for the jig yet, but I'm number five so it shouldn't be too long before its headed my way.

If you guys are interested, we could do a short notice get together when the jig comes in. Let me know if you are interested.

Also, having looked at the flat versus the receiver stub, I've decided that the best thing to do is graft the flat onto what's left of the receiver. That means I'm going to have to make a mandrel to get everything lined up properly. I don't have a rotary table for the mill at work, so it will be a homebrew kind of deal, but that's the direction I'm headed.

I am out of the country right now, but Brian at South Carroll Sporting goods will be building mine. I truthfully dont have the time or skilll to remotely take this on. I do like the idea of grafting the flat to the original reciever stub though.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville

I'm definitely interested!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have been watching the thread. I still don't know that I feel this build is far enough for me to jump into yet. The fact you are feeling the need to graft on the front I think is telling. Looking at the flats on line, I understand why. These flats are not really the standard of the HK flats that are out there. I will be very interested to hear how the rails line up!

On other note, I am going to sell one of my kits if anyone is interested.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Bump for guys that have flats. I have a loaner flat bending jig and rail squaring mandrel on the way. Unfortunately, timing isn't great and I am in the middle of a house remodel, so don't have room for anyone. If we can find a place with a press and enough room for a few, I think we should definitely have a get together. Jig comes in early next week and I should be able to keep it for a week. Post up if you are interested

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Im still 2 months out bring getting home. I plan to have Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods put it together as I dont know thing 1 about builing a gun like this. I just learned about 2 years ago how to put a AR lower together. lol

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    A Harbor Freight 12 ton should do the job. At least it does on AKs and I can't see it being any worse. So it should not be hard to find.

That said I think the flats that are out there are not up to par yet.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Okay for those with flats in hand, the bending jig and rail die came in over the weekend. I have the space to host but no press currently available. The jig will no longer be available after Sunday. Chime in if you want to do a get together one evening this week or over the weekend to compare flats.

I think a 12 ton press should be adequate.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Are you planning on pressing?

It would be interesting to at least discuss the two methods that people have used so far to get these things going... Grafting onto the remaining receiver stub, and the way jestism did it.

Also curious on the approach of splitting the flat in the middle and welding back together, would be a miserable grinding session though

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Are you planning on pressing?

Absolutely if we can borrow a press. Just leaving things a little vague with the recent atf ruling, but I've got the all clear from the loaner program to share with supervision. Maybe we'll call it a "build a bear" party to keep them on their toes.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Absolutely if we can borrow a press. Just leaving things a little vague with the recent atf ruling, but I've got the all clear from the loaner program to share with supervision. Maybe we'll call it a "build a bear" party to keep them on their toes.

Perfect, I've been on the hunt for a 12 ton for awhile and not having much luck finding one so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom