• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I was originally planning on going with the spikes but 2 a has a fail zero in stock. The fail zero doesnt have markings though. The fz is about 50 bux more but does come with a hammer coated as well. I dont know anything about fail zero, is their stuff good? Is it hpt, mpi? Staking looked good. I also lile that i can pick it up asap instead of waiting for it.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Spikes mentions on their page that failzero does their NiB coatings. I wonder who makes the bcgs for fail zero. From their website it looks like they are case hardened, shot peened, and mpi. Seems like the difference in price might be the fact that it comes with the coated hammer. One other thing to consider is if you plan on doing the spikes battle trigger it will come with the coated hammer.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I do plan on the spikes battle trigger. I wont lie, its kinda useless but that fz has an auto hammer as well...kinda cool. Then it leaves me with an extra hammer from the battle trigger.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The biggest issue is i dont see anywhere about the fz being magnetic particle inspected high pressure tested. The spikes i believe is marked.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    FZ doesn't mention it being hp tested, only mpi on their site. One thing to watch out for is FZ originally put out ar-15 bcgs which they had problems with. The later version from them is a m16 style which seems to have straightened out extraction issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Never seen either break. I say get the Fail Zero from Mark and usilize the NiB Hammer (Unless the Hammer is an M16 unit, if so you should cut the Hook off)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You guys should say to Mark, "Chad says Fail Zero SUCKS" I demand a 50% discount to remove that scrap from your store. :lol2:

If Mark dont choke you then he likes you. :)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Never seen either break. I say get the Fail Zero from Mark and usilize the NiB Hammer (Unless the Hammer is an M16 unit, if so you should cut the Hook off)

You guys should say to Mark, "Chad says Fail Zero SUCKS" I demand a 50% discount to remove that scrap from your store. :lol2:

If Mark dont choke you then he likes you. :)

Will that hook damage anything? I assume they do all the testing but having no markings is kinda weird. Ive grown big on the hp, mp etc markings, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    FZ doesn't mention it being hp tested, only mpi on their site. One thing to watch out for is FZ originally put out ar-15 bcgs which they had problems with. The later version from them is a m16 style which seems to have straightened out extraction issues.

It is a m16 style. Even the hammer has the hook for the auto sear.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Heres what each says on the manufactures site:

Spikes:
    •Machined from 8620 Tool Steel (Carrier) and 158 Carpenter Steel (Bolt)
    •Shrouded firing pin.
    •Nickel Boron Coating inside and out (Bolt, Carrier, and Gas Key)
    •Forged Mil-Spec gas key attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.
    •Bolt is shot Peened and HPT/MPI
    •Mil-Spec Extractor Spring, black extractor insert, Viton O-Ring
    •Tool Steel Extractor

FailZero:
    •Case Hardened, Shot Peened and MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
    •EXO Coated Bolt (40% more wear resistant than Chrome with a very Low Coefficient of Friction)
    •Mil-Spec Gas Rings
    •EXO Coated Carrier
    •Gas Key with EXO Coated Exterior and Chrome Lined ID. Hardened to USGI Specifications
    •Mil-Spec Staked Gas Key
    •Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
    •Black Extractor Insert
    •Firing Pin and retainer

Then just to compare heres what a regular BCM is:

BCM:
    Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel
    HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
    MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
    Shot Peened Bolt
    Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
    Chrome Lined Gas Key
    Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
    Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
    Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
    Tool Steel Extractor
    BCM Extractor Spring
    Black Extractor Insert
    Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

The main difference that I see in pics is that the FZ is not makred MPI/HPT.
    i did read 1 forum where 1 person said his was, unless he was referring to a spikes.

Spikes says they take a standard BCG and just have that coated. Their normal BCG's are on par with BCM's it seems. LWRC uses FailZero, and there seems to be alot of good things to say about them, however I see it regularly mentioned that the Spikes seem to be a little nicer in finish. Nothing that has affected performance, just visual appeal. Not saying FZ is less of a product but Im starting the think the Spikes may be the way....its cheaper, it was recommended to shave the hook off the hammer of the FZ, the HPT/MPI markings give me that warm fuzzy feeling, and I know Spikes products, never had any expierence with FZ.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Will that hook damage anything? I assume they do all the testing but having no markings is kinda weird. Ive grown big on the hp, mp etc markings, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Notched is no good. If it has the hook on the tail you have to cut the tit off. No M16 parts should be used in a lower unless modified to semi auto.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Notched is no good. If it has the hook on the tail you have to cut the tit off. No M16 parts should be used in a lower unless modified to semi auto.

Hmmmm....that sounds like a pita. I guess it kinda doesnt matter because i wanna do the spikes trigger group. So your saying from a legal POV the hook is bad? Mark said that part was ok, thats why i ask.

From your professional opinion, would you say they are both equal quality? How do you feel about the lack of markings? Thats not an indication of batch testing only is it?

I guess my main concern is, are the Fail Zero bcgs(under the nib coating) as good as a Spikes or BCM? Basically are the base bcg's FZ is using as good as the other's? Do they actually meet the milspec? Are they the proper steel?

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Will do...but Im kinda impatient...mind sharing what you know?:D

I don't want to quote him on exactly how many rounds he has on it as of yet. I personally witnessed 800+ in 1 day at a carbine class. He is sold personally on them. I trust his judgment. In all these years of knowing him and buying from him, never once has he steered me wrong. Whenever you get a chance drop him a call. He will set you straight.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I don't want to quote him on exactly how many rounds he has on it as of yet. I personally witnessed 800+ in 1 day at a carbine class. He is sold personally on them. I trust his judgment. In all these years of knowing him and buying from him, never once has he steered me wrong. Whenever you get a chance drop him a call. He will set you straight.

So its probably safe to assume they are built with all the right stuff to all the proper specs. I mean its been drilled into my head(especially on this forum) to make sure the proper materials are used, all the testing is done, and its done on each piece, not 1 out of a batch.

Tomorrow morning ill give failzero a call when i get a break at work. I gotta get to the bottom of this. I like that 2A has it in stock...im tired of waiting for stuff, and am getting really tired of dealing with fedex, ups and usps. Im hoping i can find my last few parts local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom