• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wjt1169

As an initial disclaimer –– I signed up with Osprey Defense as a dealer back in December 2009. I promised not to sell a single unit until I was satisfied that the system actually worked and was reliable. As a result, I'm still holding on to the units I ordered back in December until I finish my personal testing. I made a visit to the range today, so I wanted to provide my experience to date on the system.

INSTALATION:

Though the system is designed as a retrofit, I decided to put it in an upper I built from parts I had on hand. The barrel is a Daniel Defense chrome lined 1/7 twist 16" M4 profile (carbine length gas system). I used a YHM clamp on front sight/gas block and the standard end cap, barrel nut, and delta ring set up. I also used the Midwest Industries MCTAR-17P drop in type rail system design specifically for piston systems. The upper receiver is made by DSarms. The bolt, firing pin, firing pin retainer pin, and cam pin are all from Stag Arms. I had an LMT tactical charging handle lying around, so I used that and a Midwest Industries low profile flip up sight to finish the upper build.

The upper is on a Spike's Tactical Lower:

fullrifleleftblk01.jpg

Installing the piston kit itself had some challenges that I imagine get easier once you tackle the job a few times. Like other kits, you must insert a bushing into the upper receiver that the op-rod rides in..to be honest, I used a tool from another manufacturer's piston kit in order to install the bushing:

oprod01.jpg

By far, the hardest part was installing the "groove pin" that secures the "piston chamber" into the front sight base/gas block. As the directions suggest, I used a 5/64 punch to get the job done...but it took a lot hammering. I caused some damage when the punch slipped off of the pin:

frontsightbase01.jpg

Another challenge was installing the "retaining clip" through the left side so that it clips upward as the directions suggest. Cory (Osprey Tech Support Guru) later told me that I could have installed it the other way. In fact, they now have redesigned clip. However, I was able to install the kit following the directions exactly:

pistonangle01.jpg

The one piece bolt carrier that comes with the kit requires installation of the bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and firing pin retaining pin:

bcg01.jpg

The Osprey bolt carrier does not have a built up rear section to prevent possible "carrier tilt":

bcgbottom01.jpg

I ran the kit using a standard carbine buffer as Osprey suggests:

lowerbuffer01.jpg

RANGE TESTING - FIRST TRY:

On my first trip to the range, the rifle would fire, but the bolt carrier would stop about half way back across the magazine...it was short stroking. I fired several shots with the same result on every pull of the trigger. So I tried my upper on two other lowers. The other lowers both had notched hammers...but the result was the same.

I checked the barrel nut to see if the op-rod was moving freely. I found that the op-rod was rubbing slightly. I thought I had found the problem, so I disassembled the upper, and re-aligned the barrel nut so that the op-rod moved without any rub.

Back at the firing line...I had the same short stroking problem.

It was back to the shop...

ENTER CORY THE OSPREY TECH SUPPORT GURU:

I called Osprey and spoke to Cory. As others have commented, Cory was pleasant to deal with and eager to fix my problem. He looked up the date that I had purchased my order of kits, and found that it was prior to a slight design change they had made in the piston itself. He told me he would send off a new piston for each of the kits I had in-stock. They arrived inside of a week...unfortunately, so did record breaking snow falls.

I replaced the piston...but another range visit had to wait a few weeks...until today...

RANGE TESTING - SECOND TRY:

Today, I loaded a mag with just six rounds. I had inspected the new piston, and could not see any real difference between the old piston it replaced. So I did not expect improved performance. However, I pulled the trigger the first time and the weapon cycled without a failure. A second trigger pull...a second no-malfunction cycle. I finished the six rounds with no malfunctions.

I loaded up three more 30 round mags and decided to let it rip. I fired all three mags as fast as I could pull the trigger (semi-auto) and reload. 90 rounds later I still had ZERO malfunctions. I guess I should be more of an optimist, because that was all the ammo I brought today. Like I said, I wasn't really expecting the unit to work for me.

I realize 96 rounds is not a real performance test, but I'm feeling pretty good about this product right now. It has slightly more felt recoil than a DI system –– as do all piston systems. The plus for me so far with the Osprey System is it's light weight compaired to the other two piston AR's I have.

Now that it's running properly, I'll keep running rounds through it and keep you all updated as to how it runs.

Here's a picture of the inside of the top of the handguard where the gas exhausts:

insideofupperrail01.jpg

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    +1! Very good review. I will be very interested to see if you develop any of the buffer tube gouging or buffer face scarring that is present in other piston kits. Since as you pointed out the rear of the carrier is not "beefed" to avoid the tilt. Please keep us updated on this.

Gun

wgpklaus

Nov 21, 2008
    Thanks for the review and pics, I've been keeping my eyes and ears out for an in depth review, and you've provided that. Keep us up to date, and if you end up being satisfied, and decide to sell them, you shouldn't have trouble moving them! :)

Cragius

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks

I've been reading up on the reviews o this system on AR15.com but it is nice to know that there is one nearby. Did you notice an excessive amount of carbon underneath your handguards or excessive heat build up?

wjt1169

I've been reading up on the reviews o this system on AR15.com but it is nice to know that there is one nearby. Did you notice an excessive amount of carbon underneath your handguards or excessive heat build up?

That last pic shows the carbon build up on the inside of the upper rail.

Remember, it was only 96 rounds total, so there was not a lot of opportunity for carbon or heat build up.

Just to be clear, the jury is still out for me on this system. I posted what I've found thus far, but it'll take a really high round count with no malfuncitons to satisfy me.

Keep ya posted!

wjt1169

Well...I finally made it to the range and had an opportunity to put another 240 rounds through my test weapon. The rounds were fired in the following manner. The first 120 were in four 30 round magazines fired as quickly as I could pull the trigger and reload. I then reloaded the four magazines and fired three of the magazines (90 rounds) in the same manner. I then had about a 10 minute brake while a buddy of mine took the rifle and finished off the final 30 rounds. He fired his 30 rounds more slowly than I had, but at about a shot-a-second cadence.

The rifle had zero malfunctions. Examination of the YHM bolt on front sight/gas block showed no evidence of any movement (yet?). So I've got 336 rounds through so far.

Here's a photo of the piston after today's range session:

pistonopen01.jpg

The inside of the upper rail:

inside_upper_rail01.jpg

The BCG had the slightest evidence of wear:

BCGrear01.jpg

I could see no real evidence of buffer tube damage from any carrier tilt:

buffertube01.jpg

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Of all the "do it yourself" gas systems I have always thought this one was the best, at least from a design point of view.

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    Great Review! Thanks!

And right on time as I am thinking about trying one out myself.

Where does the gas get exhausted in this system?

Is this the only system out that allows you to use the existing front sight?

wjt1169

Great Review! Thanks!

And right on time as I am thinking about trying one out myself.

Where does the gas get exhausted in this system?

Is this the only system out that allows you to use the existing front sight?

The gas exhausts out of the piston as it pushes the guide rod backwards, that's why I show the picture of the carbon build up on the inside of the top rail.

IIRC Bushmaster has a system that utilizes the stock front sight/gas block.

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    The gas exhausts out of the piston as it pushes the guide rod backwards, that's why I show the picture of the carbon build up on the inside of the top rail.

IIRC Bushmaster has a system that utilizes the stock front sight/gas block.

Thanks wjt1169 :thumbsup:

I figured thats where it will go, but I wanted to ask to be sure because in the FAQ on their website they say "Gas is metered prior to entering the system.", in response to this question. I wasn't sure what to make of that statement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom