• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    If you end up not liking it you can always break even (or get close to) from selling it; the FDE ones seem to hold their value well.

I've had mine for 10 months and really like the way it shoots and handles; watch out for that reciprocating charging handle though.

In case you haven't already found out, the SCAR 17 has a reputation of being harsh on scopes; has something to do with the shock generated by the bolt carrier returning into battery.

Though some might debate this, the stock "flash suppressing compensator" had to be removed on mine before it could be transferred to me in Maryland. All because the manufacture (PWS) designated the muzzle device to have flash suppressing abilities.

Here is a good video describing the SCAR 17 in more detail than most would ever care to know about it:

https://youtu.be/TqpEsoHY2iQ

I've seen literally every video on the Scar already lol

And dam I guess I need to buy a new one.

I'm doing it !

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    The whole reciprocating charging handle isn't even an issue for me. I have a Galil ace and that has a reciprocating charging handle and I have over a thousand rounds through it and I've never once hit my thumb. So not a factor. Also I love aks so they have the same issue when I go weak side

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I shot one, its ridiculously light...but if I had the choice and $$ I'd get a knights armament SR25

I have both and don't think I could part with either. If I had to choose, I'd definitely keep one of the SR-25s. Probably the EC. I think you're getting a lot more rifle for a little more money when we're talking about $3k+.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I have a SCAR17 and love it. The gun is light, soft shooting, and highly customizable if you want to spend the money. Of all the rifles in my safe it is the easiest to field strip. It is not without it's issues most notably: cost, tough on optics, cost of mods, bad stock trigger, if you are sending it back for warranty work (which I have never had to do) you must bring it back to stock configuration or FN won't touch it, the short handguard really begs for an extension (plenty to choose from but $$$), the factory muzzle brake will not make you any friends at the range, the FDE finishes vary dramatically, and it is not the easiest gun to suppress due to the long barrel threads and small shoulder (there are adapters that remedy this). Many people swapped out their lowers for aftermarket ones that accept PMAGS when SCAR mags were unobtanium but now that they are plentiful I see no reason to change unless you want to go with a drum magazine. The factory mags are very well made.

Do not go cheap on optics and be sure to use the ADM Delta mount. IMO this rifle begs for more magnification than a 1.5-4, I swapped out a Leupold VXR 1.5-4 for a Leupold Mk6 3-18 and I am very glad I did. Mods include a Geissele Super SCAR trigger, a KDG MREX 6.5" extension, KDG SAS buttstock, IWC charging handle, and Stark Equipment BRU grip (not pictured). With Federal GMM 168g I shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

20170216_173956_zpsdxhfpu4j.jpg

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I shot a F/A scar 17 at a private range a few years ago. It was badass, but holy shit did that thing have some serious concussion. Not sure what muzzle device was on it but it was nasty

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Get a Primary Weapon Systems MK216 for under $2200 and don't look back. I think the SCAR 17 should be priced around $1200-1600 or so based upon what I've seen.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Get a Primary Weapon Systems MK216 for under $2200 and don't look back. I think the SCAR 17 should be priced around $1200-1600 or so based upon what I've seen.
    PWS does make a mighty fine rifle, though it might not scratch that "something different" itch for everybody.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

The PWS is just another 308 AR, I shot one and didn't feel lIke any better than a POF or SIG716. Essentially a 60 year old design with lipstick on it.

FN is the new Hk, they are pretty much the premier manufacturer of arms in the West and arguably the world. There may be other modern 308 carbines available but none have the proven record of the SCAR17. Over priced? On the civilian market yes just like a Colt.

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom