• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ckreiter1

May 1, 2018
    Looking to pick up a shotgun primarily for defense but also for some extra training
    Leaning towards m3 due to the action but also thinking for the m4.

Department uses 870’s and they work but pretty crude and have their problems.

Any better ideas or which do you think is better m3 or m4

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think both would be great, being Benelli. The M4 is supposed to be the best, and the go to for police and military often. I do have a thing for the M3 though. I don't plan on taking it into heavy combat, but I like the novelty of being able to use it in pump mode for light loads, non lethal, or novelty loads, and use in pump mode in case of a semi auto mechanical failure. The M3 is about 60-75% the cost of a M4 depending on where you look. You mentioned department? Are you a LEO? If so, the M3 "might" be a little more flexible in allowing the switch to pump mode for non lethal rounds. But, I would think both would be fine guns.

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    For self defense the M4 is simpler, nothing to mess with switching between pump/semi, cycle the bolt and clear it. I haven't fired many rounds through the M3 or M4, so I can't say much about low power loads in semi-mode. I believe the M3 was meant for planned use of low power loads.

If you want to save some money the M1/2s are reliable, and the Beretta 1201 (i think 1301 too) mechanism is extremely close to the M1, but the 1201 seems to have more felt recoil. You need a firm grip for the inertia system to perform reliably. I really like the M1 and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few months back.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My M1 Super 90 has proven to be an awesome machine over the twenty-five yers or more I've had it. H&K was the importer at the time...I took it to their facility when it was near Dulles Airport and they added an extended magazine and tritium sights...it was factory equipped with ghost-ring sights. I don't see how Benelli could have improved upon it.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've always wanted to get a Benelli semi-automatic shotgun but the price has always been a bit rich for me so the Remington 870 is what I have. But the M4 looks like a great shotgun. Maybe some day! :-)

Atlantic Guns (Rockville) used to stock Benelli's some years ago when I first looked at them. I do not know if they still do. Their prices are not great but it may allow the OP to handle an M4 before getting it from someone else.

Cal68

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    The M3 should more then fit your needs. If you have money to burn, then go with an M4.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    If I were buying a Benelli, I would probably go with the M-2, based on price and features. The M-4 looks nice, but out of my price range.
    Since I don't have the money available, I built my own on a Remington Model 11. It has a 24" barrel with choke tubes, LPA rifle sights and a 10 shot extended mag. Works great so far.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm not a big fan of M4's. I think they water down the brand. M badges on everything now doesn't make it as special. The M3 was an iconic car back in the day and the newer vehicles just don't do it for most enthusiasts.

I believe that's the reason prices have skyrocketed for e30's and are starting to climb for e36's.

Unfortunately, my e36 is high mileage and will most likely never be worth anything. I'll drive the hell out of though.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Alternatives to the m4

Beretta1301
    Benelli m2
    Remington versamax

Attachments

• 4F47AD45-4316-4D29-8CDC-740CFFC703D2.jpg
      4F47AD45-4316-4D29-8CDC-740CFFC703D2.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 215

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm not a big fan of M4's. I think they water down the brand. M badges on everything now doesn't make it as special. The M3 was an iconic car back in the day and the newer vehicles just don't do it for most enthusiasts.

I believe that's the reason prices have skyrocketed for e30's and are starting to climb for e36's.

Unfortunately, my e36 is high mileage and will most likely never be worth anything. I'll drive the hell out of though.

:lol:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When I was taking Home Defense Shotgun recently with Tim Chandler, he was all about the Beretta 1301 Tactical. Based on what I saw of it in class, I think he's got a pretty good point. It's semi-auto, light, reliable across loads, and has some really excellent upgrades from Aridus Industries that get you compatibility with Magpul furniture (plus the Mesa Tactical Urbino if you're into that) and co-witness optics. If you're into tube-fed shotguns, it seems like it does it all. It's also a ton cheaper than the M4, which is a non-trivial concern for most of us.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Almost all of the P&S guys are high on the 1301. Pricing out all of the Aridus/Magpul goodies, and you're still about the same price point as a stock M4.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My M1 Super 90 has proven to be an awesome machine over the twenty-five yers or more I've had it. H&K was the importer at the time...I took it to their facility when it was near Dulles Airport and they added an extended magazine and tritium sights...it was factory equipped with ghost-ring sights. I don't see how Benelli could have improved upon it.

I have an M1 Super 90 for 23 years. That thing has been under water in the Arkansas swamps and kept on shooting. I would like it to be my HD gun but its too nice a gun to never (hopefully) be used. I use a Mossy 500 for that work.

OP, you can't go wrong with either one. If I was buying a shotty for shooting it would be the Benelli Ethos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom