• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Finally picked up a cement mixer to clean brass. The 3 ½ cubic foot mixer is on sale this month at Harbor (questionable labor practices) Freight. It is normally $209.99, on sale for $179.99. For comparison the large Dillon Cleaner is $199.99.

To start the directions for assembly leave much to be desired. It looks reasonably well designed and only time will tell how well it will hold up.

I started with 40 lbs. of walnut media and three and a half fifty caliber cans of once fired 5.56. The brass wasn’t that dirty and was clean after two hours. With an open drum there is a lot of dust. The next task is to fabricate a lid. With a lid it will hold more.

For sifting the plan is an angled trough with a screen bottom. There will be a catch box underneath to collect the media.

Just for those that will ask. It got dark out, so no pictures.

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    Jerry Miculek has a YouTube video of himself cleaning brass in a cement mixer. I thought "where could I find a cement mixer at a reasonable cost" - thinking auctions, but it might take awhile before one comes up. So, nice find, thanks for the tip.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a reloaded yet, but looking into it.

Walnut shells - how about pistachio shells? I eat a lot of pistachios- crush the shells in a coffee grinder?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I have the smaller HF mixer, and the opening is just the size of a 5gal bucket to press into and seal the dust.
    I also toss in 4 or 5 used dryer sheets (same as with my vibrating tumbler) to pick up dust and dirt during
    rotating. Sifting is through an old colander with extra holes, and an old liter box. All low cost and functional.

All sifted brass still needs a trip through the normal spin separator because you can never empty all the walnut
    out with only gravity sifting.

Last edited:

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Still a work in progress. Three fifty caliber cans worth seem to work best, don’t end up with an odd amount of cleaned brass. The rubber drip pan works well for now for unloading. Then it goes to the sifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom