• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Before you know it spring will be here and the Axis and Allies match will be starting up again. This year we will be changing our week from the 4th Saturday of each month to the FIRST SATURDAY of each month beginning on April 06, running through October or perhaps November. The only exception will be for the month of May when we will shoot on the 2nd Saturday which is May 11. This is because Kid's Fish Day is already scheduled for the first Saturday. ALSO, there is a TIME CHANGE. Registration will be at 9:00 a.m. and hopefully we'll be shooting by 9:30. We'll have the range until 12:30.

The advantages of these changes are:
    1. Being earlier in the month will probably allow us to shoot comfortably into November.

2. Changing to the 1st Saturday will free up some time for members to free shoot on the 4th weekend of each month. Competitions previously blocked out that entire weekend.

3. Changing to an earlier starting time will get us finished before the hottest time of those summer days.

4. Changing to an earlier starting time will allow us to actually eat lunch on match day. We could even go somewhere and have lunch together for those interested in doing so.

One more thing. I'm thinking we could also allow and ENCOURAGE early registration via email to save a lot of time on match day.

-Rod

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Do you maintain a post concerning the rules and regulations for these shoots?

I normally post it with each upcoming match notification. Here ya go.

In case you haven't read them before, here are the basic guidelines and rules.

Registration starts at 9:00 and the fun match starts between 9:30 and 10:00.

The match is a very light competition with the emphasis being marksmanship, fun and few firearm regulations (other than safety). All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground. This is designed for the average shooter, not the high power match competitor. If you're looking for serious competition this will not be a good match for you.

* $10 entry fee, use your own ammo (33 rounds minimum)

* Only one gun per shooter.

* Military issued rifles up to and including 1960

* Smokeless powder cartridge only

* No sporterized stocks or barrels

* In order to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period this match covers and to help people with poor vision:
    1. Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item.
    2. Aftermarket scopes ARE also allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.

* There will be three simple classes:
    1. Optics: Anything using glass, and irons with front globe sights with a circle reticle.
    2. Irons: Iron sights (including rear peeps). Front globes are allowed in this class if they have a post type insert.
    3. Rimfire for .22 trainers.

* The range will be at 100 yds

* Targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire

* Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.

** NO RIFLES ARE TO BE UNCASED OR BROUGHT TO THE SHOOTING BENCH UNTIL THAT COMMAND IS MADE BY THE RANGE OFFICER.

* Round count will be a non scored 3 round "site in" followed by 3 strings of 10 shots. 30 scored shots total. Total possible score is 300.

* There will be 5 to 7 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 10. Shooters will have 2 minutes to set up their bench after which, on the RSO command, they will have 2 minutes to fire 3 site in / fouling shots, followed by a RSO cease-fire command. Next, at the R.S.O. command, the first scoring string will begin. After 2.5 minutes there will be a ceasefire AND ALL BOLTS WILL BE OPENED TO SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER and a CHAMBER FLAG inserted. Targets will be scored and patched, after which the shooters will return to the bench and, at the RSO command, shoot their second string and repeat for the third string. After the their third string the targets will be pulled and scored. The next wave a shooters will then go through the same procedures.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own if you want to spot your shots.
    The 2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.

If you have any questions, post them here.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    This sounds interesting. I recently inherited a Enfield jungle carbine-at the risk of sounding like an idiot, would that be considered sporterized since the barrel is only 18"? And where is the match held?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This sounds interesting. I recently inherited a Enfield jungle carbine-at the risk of sounding like an idiot, would that be considered sporterized since the barrel is only 18"? And where is the match held?

The match takes place at Delta Peach Bottom www.dpfng.com

I'm sure the jungle carbine would be fine, assuming it's as-issued (honestly, I don't know that there is much room to sport a No.5 anyway). The spirit of the match is that they are military condition rifles.

There have been a handful of Enfields in the past :innocent0 but I think this would be the first jungle carbine. Bring it out!

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    Be sure to bring a pad for your shoulder if it still has the hard rubber butt pad they were issued with. Ouch! :lol:

Yeah, the recoil is a bit stiff...but still fun to shoot. Sounds like a lot of fun, should justify the two hour drive. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom