Ordering a S&W .44 Mag Revolver, Frederick Area, Which Dealer Would You Use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Need to order a S&W Model 629 SA/DA Revolver in .44 Magnum, looking to go through a (somewhat) local dealer who doesn't mark up too steeply, and processes orders fairly promptly. Have never ordered a handgun before (always purchased from in-store stock), who would you guys recommend in the greater Frederick area?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    If you are willing to drive a little bit down 70 so that traffic is not so bad, you could check out South Carroll Sporting goods in Woodbine, and industry partner here. I have had good experiences there. Otherwise in downtown Frederick you could check with Gunrunners. Not sure what they would charge to order it for you though.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Where are you ordering from? If you go through gun genie they'll give you dealer quotes for places near you.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you are in Frederick you should visit Gunrunners in downtown. I've special ordered a few Smith revolvers from them. They normally came in with a week and prices were always below MSRP and within reason to online resources.

Take a look at his website for his hours http://www.gunrunnersmd.com

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A thirty or so minute drive down 270 will bring to to Engage in Rockville, one of our Industry Partners. They've built a strong following by treating MDS members well. It would be worth sending them a message with what you're looking for.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    A thirty or so minute drive down 270 will bring to to Engage in Rockville, one of our Industry Partners. They've built a strong following by treating MDS members well. It would be worth sending them a message with what you're looking for.

I have been to Engage a couple times and I would agree with this. I would rate them highly. Though with traffic the drive from Frederick can be a lot worth than half an hour if you do not time it properly.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Give United Gun Store in Rockville a call, where they recently posted one for sale on consignment—which is the unfluted cylinder model. They are an Industry Partner here on the MDS forum.

There is a good chance they are offering the classic 629 model with no internal lock.

I urge you to buy the pre-lock if you can find one because it will hold its value better.

Attachments

• 4AC5B29F-DB58-472E-8EF9-CD15A12C8C2A.jpeg
      4AC5B29F-DB58-472E-8EF9-CD15A12C8C2A.jpeg
      40 KB · Views: 181
    Last edited:

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Give United Gun Store in Rockville a call, where they recently posted one for sale on consignment—which is the unfluted cylinder model.

There is a good chance they are offering the classic 629 model with no internal lock.

I urge you to buy the pre-lock if you can find one because it will hold its value better.

I love that unfluted cylinder. I have a blued 29-2 with unfluted cylinder I got from Lou that I love. Last gun I bought from him before he passed and it was a great deal. That’s one I’ll never sell. I’ve been toying with giving United a call about theirs.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Gun Center in Frererick . I bet they have one in stock. I have always been treated good there .
    They used to have pretty high prices as well as transfer fees. Has this changed? Some nice folks behind the counter, but I stopped going there after discovering Gunrunners.

OP, if you live near Frederick, should go downtown to check out Gunrunners when you get a chance. Nice friendly store which is on the other side of the road from Brainstorm Comics and the Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick (easy parking in a city lot on that side). He has a lot of S&W revolvers in his display case at any one time, but won't take the least bit offense if you find a better deal online and (after giving him a heads up) have it shipped for transfer there. His transfer prices are reasonable, and quite low if one is a member of Monocacy Pistol Club. Worth a visit even if you end up going with one of the options in the posts above.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    They used to have pretty high prices as well as transfer fees. Has this changed? Some nice folks behind the counter, but I stopped going there after discovering Gunrunners.

OP, if you live near Frederick, should go downtown to check out Gunrunners when you get a chance. Nice friendly store which is on the other side of the road from Brainstorm Comics and the Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick (easy parking in a city lot on that side). He has a lot of S&W revolvers in his display case at any one time, but won't take the least bit offense if you find a better deal online and (after giving him a heads up) have it shipped for transfer there. His transfer prices are reasonable, and quite low if one is a member of Monocacy Pistol Club. Worth a visit even if you end up going with one of the options in the posts above.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I should have thought of Bob (Gunrunners), been too long since I was there. He always had a nice selection of revolvers and is a great guy. I'll stop down and see him this week, thanks for the reminder. And thanks to all of you who responded with several great suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom