• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    What a great trip and congrats on the successful hunt! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    f'n cot inside that tent - just like a hotel...

It's a Luxurylite Ultralite Cot, an awesome piece of camp gear! Less than 3 pounds, guarantees you never have a lumpy bed in camp. After my hunt partner this year saw it, he's getting one for himself. :)

Bought it after an Alaska wilderness hunt where I never had a good night's sleep due to too many tree roots under the tent.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Looks like a great trip that was worth the travel thank for sharing reminds me of a hunt I was able to do at a big discount.

I was able to go on a caribou hunt back in 2004 on Uncle Sam’s Dime. You take a 4 Wheel truck out to one of the remote radio sites and park. Walk out a couple hundred feet close your eyes and shoot, odds were you would hit a good size caribou there were some many of them thousands of them, herds. Dam things use to walk into the base like they own the place.

Nice little area called Sondrestrom Greenland. Got the pictures to prove it.

Last edited:

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I hope to never find out if it really works. :) As you can see from the pics, it was tough to get the corner posts in the ground here, we were camped along a creek and the ground was incredibly rocky under the top layer. I can get 6000 - 7000 volt readings with a good ground, could only get 3000 volts here.

The battery unit that puts out the electric charge emits an audible "BEEP" every 5-10 seconds, that you can hear at night even from within the tent. Sometimes I wonder if the beeping sound is just as responsible for keeping bears/wolves away as the electric current (the animal would have to touch the ground wire and one of the 2 charged wires at the same time to get shocked).

As much as anything, I think hearing the "BEEP" at night helps the guys in the tent sleep better, feeling like they at least have an early warning system out there.

Thanks for the info. One more question...

How far did you guys hike in with all that gear? Hopefully close to the drop off point.. :D

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks for the info. One more question...

How far did you guys hike in with all that gear? Hopefully close to the drop off point.. :D

If you notice in one of the early pictures, the bush plane is landing to pick up Scott's caribou meat and antlers. The "runway" (just a gravel strip along the creek) was only about 50 yards from our campsite.

To get to the camp, it was about a 90 minute bush flight from town; we were about 100 miles from the nearest road. But Alaska terrain is different - if we had to walk out for some reason, it would take at least a couple of weeks to cover the 100 miles. Lots of boggy or tough-to-hike country, tons of rivers to cross, and you can only cross them in the morning or early afternoon - they're so cold that you need to give yourself a few hours to warm back up after crossing them.

We were also lucky in that we didn't have to pack either caribou more than 1/4 mile back to camp, the shortest pack I've had to this point.

scorpio

Mar 1, 2011
    Those photos so want me want to move to Alaska and get out of this hell hole. Congrats and Thanks for sharing the photos

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Update on Bear Fence...

Just an update note to those who have asked about the bear fence - it is not foolproof, a couple of large brownies have walked through them near Katmai - got shocked, but kept on walking. Also, there is a danger that a cub can get under the lowest wire and then be trapped INSIDE the fence, and be wailing while Momma is all worked up outside the fence. THAT is a scenario I hope never to experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom