• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Been back at work for a couple of weeks after my Alaska caribou hunt, finally have a minute to catch my breath and post some pics. This was a different year for caribou in Alaska – the very late spring, hot dry summer, and wet start to fall really altered the typical migration patterns.

Scott (my hunt partner from PA, met on another outdoors forum) and I flew into the bush on August 28 – a cloudy morning, the clouds were dropping throughout our 90 minute bush plane flight. I was worried we might have to turn around and head back to town, but we made it to camp. Here’s a pic from the Super Cub, you can see the clouds dropping onto the ridgetops.

DSCN0825.jpg

After landing, we started setting up camp, stopping a couple of times to say hello to some visitors.

DSCN0829.jpg

A pic of our camp, with the sleep tent, gear/food tent, bucket stools, and UDAP bear fence.

DSCN0831.jpg

Scott (my hunt partner from PA) enjoying camp and checking out the scenery.

DSCN0833.jpg

Time for dinner – I always cook up ribeyes the first evening in camp, before we start our dinner regimen of Mountain House or bacon and eggs.

DSCN0842.jpg

About 45 minutes after dinner, I was checking out a far ridge through the spotter when I heard some rocks clattering up the creekbed. I was about to tell Scott we had some more caribou coming past, camp, when I saw a grizzly roaring down the creekbed towards camp! I grabbed my rifle and jacked a shell in the chamber; he came running past camp about 40 yards away, saw us, didn’t like what he saw, and kept right on trucking. I think he thought we saved a steak for him! Here’s a picture I snapped while still holding my rifle.

Grizzly.jpg

The next afternoon, I saw a couple of bulls heading our way about a mile away, and when they got closer Scott and I ran up the ridge to intercept them. I snapped this picture just before Scott shot the larger bull on the left.

DSCN0851.jpg

Scott made a good shot from about 200 yards, and was elated to have a great bull down – his first Alaskan big game animal!

DSCN0858.jpg

For the next few days we had a lot of rain and not too many caribou – here you can see that although we had rain along the creek, it was falling as snow on the ridgetops.

DSCN0870.jpg

When the pilot came in to get Scott’s meat and antlers, he said the forecast called for quite a bit of rain in the days ahead – based on the weather and the relative lack of big bulls we were seeing, I decided to shoot the first decent meat bull we saw. Here’s the pilot landing to get Scott’s meat and antlers.

DSCN0887.jpg

On day 5 I spotted 4 bulls about a mile away, and after watching their route for a while Scott and I moved up the creek about 250 yards to intercept them. There were bigger bulls with this one, but I took the first clear shot I had, and was glad to down this guy.

DSCN0895.jpg

A different pic of our camp and the country surrounding it – beautiful wild country.

DSCN0911.jpg

After I shot my bull and we took care of the meat, we decided to fly back to town a day early, as the weather wasn’t looking good and we didn’t want to be stuck in camp for 3-4 days waiting for the weather to clear. A pic of the mountains surrounding our camp on the flight out.

DSCN0913.jpg

Overall, another great adventure in the Alaskan wilderness, and made another great friend and hunting partner! Scott is eager to chase Alaskan moose now, so he and I may join up in the future. Can’t do it in 2014, as my best friend is already committed to go chase moose with me – his last try for an Alaskan moose, he has shot caribou in years past.

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    How did you get a tag? Can you explain your booking and travel arrangements

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    How did you get a tag? Can you explain your booking and travel arrangements

Over the counter non-resident caribou tag for this unit in Alaska, that's the easy part. The tough part is booking a hunt with 40 Mile Air, the air service I use to fly me and my hunt partner into the bush. They book up for the coming season in 2-3 days once they start accepting bookings in December, almost entirely with repeat customers (I've been flying out with them since 2006). It's not cheap - between round-trip airfare to Alaska, non-resident hunting license and tag, and costs for bush flights, rental car and sat phone, and hotels in Anchorage and Tok, you're looking at 5 grand.

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    Caribou meat is some might fine eating! Miss my home state. Thanks for sharing the photos and congratulations on a successful hunting trip.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Great report! I know it's hard getting pictures while hunting. What were the temperatures like day/night?

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Great report! I know it's hard getting pictures while hunting. What were the temperatures like day/night?

Since it rained quite a bit, the clouds kept the temps up; on the cloudy days it would get down in the high 30s at night, up to low 50s during the day.

We did get one clear night with no wind, where we woke up to a hard frost on the tent and frozen condensation in the tent, even with the vents open. It got down to 10 - 15 degrees that night, took a while to warm up the next day! Here's a few pics of that day. :)

DSCN0875.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Awesome! :party29:

How do you like that USDAP fence?

I hope to never find out if it really works. :) As you can see from the pics, it was tough to get the corner posts in the ground here, we were camped along a creek and the ground was incredibly rocky under the top layer. I can get 6000 - 7000 volt readings with a good ground, could only get 3000 volts here.

The battery unit that puts out the electric charge emits an audible "BEEP" every 5-10 seconds, that you can hear at night even from within the tent. Sometimes I wonder if the beeping sound is just as responsible for keeping bears/wolves away as the electric current (the animal would have to touch the ground wire and one of the 2 charged wires at the same time to get shocked).

As much as anything, I think hearing the "BEEP" at night helps the guys in the tent sleep better, feeling like they at least have an early warning system out there.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    So how do you keep your food - inside the perimeter?
    And do you have to worry about the fresh meat either going bad or going away in a bears' mouth?
    What rifle did you have for the 'bou and for the griz?
    Looks awesome, I bet very few people get to experience this in their lifetimes.
    Why not cook the rib eye over a grill? No wood?
    How many times did you trip on the guy wires for that Cabelas tent?
    Great pics.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    So how do you keep your food - inside the perimeter?

Green tent is the food and gear tent...don't bring food into the orange sleep tent. I typically cook outside the perimeter.

And do you have to worry about the fresh meat either going bad or going away in a bears' mouth?

After we shoot a caribou, I like to leave the meat on the bone the first night, sitting on some logs to have air circulating above and below the meat. The next day, we debone the meat and put it in game bags, and call the pilots to come in and pick it up that day or the next day. they store it back in town in a chilled railroad car, we pick it up the morning we're leaving town.

What rifle did you have for the 'bou and for the griz?

I use a .338 Winchester Magnum (Ruger Model 77), overkill for caribou but stopping power in case we encounter a belligerent grizzly. Never happened yet, hope it never does - lotsa red tape to go through if we had to shoot one.

Looks awesome, I bet very few people get to experience this in their lifetimes.
    Why not cook the rib eye over a grill? No wood?

Some camps are above timberline and firewood is at least 1/4 mile away, so we just use the camp stove.

How many times did you trip on the guy wires for that Cabelas tent?

Once I think. :)

Great pics.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom