St. Mary's seeking to build public range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    I happened to pick up a copy of the County Times today while I was out at a restaurant (needed something to do while waiting for a beverage). I didn't realize until after I'd started reading it that it was from January 31st. There was a short article about the county commissioners looking for land to build a public range, because they're worried about land prices going high enough that the Sanner family will decide to sell their land and close Sanners lake. Commissioner Dan Morris says they are looking at land south of Pax, or in Chaptico.

I know in government time frames things happen slowly, but has anybody heard about any developments with this? I think it would be great if Sanners continued to operate and there was a public range nearby as well.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I can say that I heard from a pretty reliable source that the sanner family has never entertained or plan to entertain any offers to sell. The property has been in the family for many years and the plans are to keep it that way as long as possible. I have heard plans of additional public and private ranges for many years but nothing has ever come of it.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I can say that I heard from a pretty reliable source that the sanner family has never entertained or plan to entertain any offers to sell. The property has been in the family for many years and the plans are to keep it that way as long as possible. I have heard plans of additional public and private ranges for many years but nothing has ever come of it.

Judging by your username, I'm going to guess that you are much better placed than darn near anyone to make that determination.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Sanner's Lake Sportsmen's Club (SLSC) just spent over $300K in improving our current facilities to bring them up to 21st century state-of-the-art standards.

That clearly demonstrates the Club's commitment to staying where it is for the foreseeable future.

wsanner said:
    I can say that I heard from a pretty reliable source that the Sanner family has never entertained or plans to entertain any offers to sell. The property has been in the family for many years and the plans are to keep it that way as long as possible. I have heard plans of additional public and private ranges for many years but nothing has ever come of it.

On this topic, the sources don't get any more reliable than that.:thumbsup:

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Yeah, I didn't really take much stock in the idea that the Sanners would boot out the club. Number one, the club seems to be doing well, and number two, that idea was floated by a politician. I don't know Dan Morris from Adam, maybe he's a good guy, but due to his position I'll take anything he says with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was just hoping that someone had heard of legitimate progress being made on a public range. I think I can probably file that in the category of "Things that might happen by the time my grandchildren are retired"

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    It'd be sweet if there was a place down here to do some shooting.

Sanner's Lake calendar of match-events is here.

SLSC in Lexington Park is a private range, but guests of members are welcome. Also, the public is welcome to most of our match-events.

bohman said:
    ...I don't know Dan Morris from Adam, maybe he's a good guy,...

Dan is a VERY good guy. Former military and retired LEO.
    He is sincere in his efforts, but he is just one man.
    Especially with Newtown still fresh in everyone's memories and budgets being tightened, now is not really a good time to propose things like a new, publicly-funded range-complex.

Marksman

There was a short article about the county commissioners looking for land to build a public range, because they're worried about land prices going high enough that the Sanner family will decide to sell their land and close Sanners lake. Commissioner Dan Morris says they are looking at land south of Pax, or in Chaptico.

This would be AWESOME. Myrtle Grove South!!!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The sheriffs don't have a place to qualify, do you really think they'll build a public range for us peons?
    simple fix there if they actually cared. there are a couple land fills that dont get any use. they could get a 1000 yard range out of the one i use that has been turned into a transfer station.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This would be AWESOME. Myrtle Grove South!!!

NO! If we're going to spend perfectly good money, we want a range capable of hosting a major competition with comfort and dignity. You give me a range with 20+ positions at 25, 50, and 100 meters, and I've got a fighting chance of getting us the 2023 World Muzzle-Loading Championships. That's 400+ competitors for a week (read: Big Hotel Money). There's talk of a Baltimore/Washington bid for the Olympic Games - how would you like to host that in St. Mary's County?

I damned well do NOT want Myrtle Grove South.

I'll add that any such facility would complement Sanner's Lake, not compete with it. Frankly, the SLSC ranges are pretty heavily booked on weekends - and will be more so, after I get off spending a third of my life on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom