• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    After reading this, I am going to try and get the word out to my 4-H connections, and I am sure some of you know clubs in your area as well. There are clubs all over the state that are Shooting Sports clubs and all under the age of 18... It would be the effective end of the clubs and activites. Not to mention the Boy Scouts that have shooting ranges in Maryland that would all be effected. Just a thought for more outlets of support.

Mark

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    After reading this, I am going to try and get the word out to my 4-H connections, and I am sure some of you know clubs in your area as well. There are clubs all over the state that are Shooting Sports clubs and all under the age of 18... It would be the effective end of the clubs and activites. Not to mention the Boy Scouts that have shooting ranges in Maryland that would all be effected. Just a thought for more outlets of support.

Mark

Great idea - that should get some more groups interested in the true effects of the current gun legislation proposals.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't really care what this bill/law says. My boy is 10 and I have been teaching him to shoot for a couple of years .22 and 20ga. We will soon do hunters safety and he will hunt with me......PERIOD.

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    I cannot imagine them doing a blanket ban, it has to be for regulated firearms... There are way to many youngsters in the Military, a lot of those boys and girls start shooting before signing up... Otherwise there would be no marksmen in the boot-camp classes...

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I cannot imagine them doing a blanket ban, it has to be for regulated firearms... There are way to many youngsters in the Military, a lot of those boys and girls start shooting before signing up... Otherwise there would be no marksmen in the boot-camp classes...

The way the law is written, anyone under 21 cannot legally possess ammunition in Maryland.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The way the law is written, anyone under 21 cannot legally possess ammunition in Maryland.

Because some of the whack job mass killers were under 21. So in the wisdom of the authors of the bill, no person under 21 should possess ammunition because one of those people may be the next mass killer. They care little about the number of good, honest, law abiding people under 21 that use ammo. They are attempting to punish everyone for the actions of a few.....criminals....who did their evil deeds in another state...... :mad54:

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Before you gents get even more spun up, I would go read the proposed definition for "regulated firearm" under the statute. Under the statutory section posted, aren't individuals prohibited from possessing ammunition for firearms that are termed "regulated firearms" buy the statute? Isn't that term limited to a defined list by the definitions?

That said, I'm more offended by the licensing requirement of the proposed legislation. Since when is it permissible for a government body to require a license to exercise one's fundamental rights? This bill has "unconstitutional" written all over it. It's a real shame that the legal process is so slow and so expensive.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    You beat me to it Rusty. A "regulated" firearm requires that one go through a FFL to purchase with NICS check conducted and most shotguns are not "regulated" thus negating this ammunition restriction.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I can see that there's two ways to read the section on the ban possession of ammunition... the problem is, are the drafters referring to banning possession of ammunition for the regulated firearms or are they referring to a ban on ALL ammunition if one is unable to possess a regulated firearm.

The former makes more sense to me than the latter because A. not all firearms are regulated and therefore folks under 21 can purchase certain firearms; B. it wouldn't make much sense for the state to permit purchase of certain firearms by those under 21 then prohibit the purchase of ammunition for those firearms. Of course, MD never made much sense anyways.

Where to I sign-up to start living life as an uncaged felon?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Before you gents get even more spun up, I would go read the proposed definition for "regulated firearm" under the statute. Under the statutory section posted, aren't individuals prohibited from possessing ammunition for firearms that are termed "regulated firearms" buy the statute? Isn't that term limited to a defined list by the definitions?

That said, I'm more offended by the licensing requirement of the proposed legislation. Since when is it permissible for a government body to require a license to exercise one's fundamental rights? This bill has "unconstitutional" written all over it. It's a real shame that the legal process is so slow and so expensive.

Among others... handguns.

Anyone under 21 is prohibited from owning a handgun. A handgun is a regulated firearm. Anyone who can't own a regulated firearm, cannot possess ammunition.

Therefore, under 21 cannot possess ammo.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Here...

Attachments

• reg.PNG
      reg.PNG
      9.6 KB · Views: 78

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Among others... handguns.

Anyone under 21 is prohibited from owning a handgun. A handgun is a regulated firearm. Anyone who can't own a regulated firearm, cannot possess ammunition.

Therefore, under 21 cannot possess ammo.

I've read the statute. Go back and see my later post on the topic. I think the statute is written poorly and you all are misconstruing the intent of the section. I believe that the drafters intended to prohibit possession of ammunition for regulated firearms instead of all ammunition for all firearms. I could be wrong of course and this construction by no means polishes the turd.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I've read the statute. Go back and see my later post on the topic. I think the statute is written poorly and you all are misconstruing the intent of the section. I believe that the drafters intended to prohibit possession of ammunition for regulated firearms instead of all ammunition for all firearms. I could be wrong of course.

The statute is DEFINITELY poorly written. That's because it's a terrible piece of legislation.

Unfortunately, laws aren't enforced according to 'legislator intent,' they are enforced by letter of the law ;)

On the other hand, regulation of ammunition for regulated firearms is IMPOSSIBLE.

Among some of the banned weapons? Saigas. That means no 12ga.
    ar platforms... 223, 308, 22ls, 300 blackout... I could go on and on. you can't ban by caliber, they are used across the board in all different types of platforms.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    The statute is DEFINITELY poorly written. That's because it's a terrible piece of legislation.

Unfortunately, laws aren't enforced according to 'legislator intent.' ;)

On the other hand, regulation of ammunition for regulated firearms is IMPOSSIBLE.

Among some of the banned weapons? Saigas. That means no 12ga.
    ar platforms... 223, 308, 22ls... I could go on and on. you can't ban by caliber, they are used across the board in all different types of platforms.

Correct, which is why there is a problem. The statute as written is unenforceable because of how they've written it unless they ban possession of all ammunition by those under the age of 21. However, that ban creates a de facto ban on firearms for a category of individuals otherwise allowed to own firearms (something unconstitutional if SCOTUS decisions are to be believed) because the ban renders the firearms useless much like DC's disassembled firearm requirement.

You are incorrect about one thing, statutes are routinely enforced and interpreted according to legislative intent. It's a favorite of the libtard living document bunch.

Now, the drafters would not define a term earlier in the statute and purposely use it in a later section in the statute banning possession of ammunition unless that defined term has some bearing on the meaning of the particular section of the statute. As I said, there are two ways to read that section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom