• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    About a year ago I finished an LR308 in 260 Remington, I used
    Gunkote and finished the entire riffle in FDE with Magpul grip and MOE rifle Stock in FDE. This has got a 22" LW profile Black Hole Weaponry P3 barrel. So shee is meant to reach out and touch you. I wanted a good scope on it and I found a Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50 Scope. It scope was coated in Kryptec Prym! Sand Storm camo. So any hoot got a bug up my ass sitting around here and decided I would wrap the gun in that same Camo pattern.

GunSkins only makes kits for AR15's so I had to buy the bulk roll and cut it out myself. I ordered degreaser, a heat gun and an Exacto knife with blades and a couple of squeegees. After viewing the installation video I think I have down what I need to do here, in particular since I am cutting my own pieces.

1. Disassemble the rifle completely so I can work on specific components rather than try to wheel and assembled upper or lower around. Plus it will make it easier to lay the sheet on the lower and cut out the pin holes as I go.

2. Degrease the hell out of everything to remove all grease and residue.

3. Where gloves so as not to get anny oils on it from my hands .

4. Just be content with doing pieces slowly and getting them right. I can be rather impatient.

Other than that if any of you have done this and have any pointers I will gladly take any input you have. Other than that I'll post some pics when I am done.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Here is a pic of the rifle as it is.
    81122f44838854c2134932c59edfa589.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Finished it this morning. Between break down prep and install probably nine (9) hours of work. Very tedious cutting out hand guard and fitting al the contours on the lower and upper receivers. Well worth it though. The real question will be durability. I’ll keep you posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Pretty permanent obviously how well you clean it for prepping and how well you install it makes a difference. I do not know how well it will do when exposed to cleaning solvents and oils. I would think they will eat at the adhesives. Just be careful cleaning it I would think.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    For the OP....

Looks great. And a job well done !!

From Gun Skins web page...

GunSkins

7 months ago Updated

GunSkins recommends cleaning your gun thoroughly prior to installation. That's great! But what about cleaning/lubricating your gun afterwards? Is it safe to apply cleaning agents to the vinyl? Will it start to peel on the edges or lose color? Absolutely not. It is completely safe and encouraged to clean and maintain your firearm just the same as you would even after installing GunSkins.

There is no compromise when using GunSkins camouflage wraps. The material is durable, waterproof, and completely sealed. Cleaners, solvents, and lubrication will not soak through or seep under the seams. There will be no adverse chemical reaction or other worries when cleaning your gun.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was so impressed I ordered a rifle kit. I have three rifles I am thinking of wrapping in the Kryptec Prym1 Sand Storm. All have Magpul 700 Hunter stocks. One is a Rem 700 in 270 win McGowen precision barrel with a 1-8 twist 26” Sendero profile. Remage barrel. Current FDE barrel with FDE stock. Next same specs build except a custom 284 win with a 28” barrel except it is threaded with a muzzle brake. Last same spec Rem 700 in 338 win mag 26” barrel 1-10 twist. This rifle is all OD green. Which one would you wrap and why? I may wrap one in the Sand Storm and do another in real tree.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Very nice job! 9 hours is not bad, considering the detail necessary to look as it does. If you're happy with it up close and it lasts more than a couple seasons, I'd call it a win! What kind of duty are you putting it through?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    For for me this rifle is mainly range days queen. and tinkering with hand loads.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    So I got a scope and Gunskin for one of my bolt action rifles. Here is a pic of the patient
    0ab5e7ef63751e4f69a71d6cef479a1d.jpg

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    This is the rifle I am going to Camo. Remington 700 action, with a Magpul 700 hunter stock. 26” McGowen Precision Remage barrel 1-8 twist, Sendero profile chambered in 270 win. Most 270 win rifles are 1-10 twist, 150 gr bullets are pretty much the max weight and length bullets you can fire. With 1-8 twist you can fire longer heavier, higher ballistic coefficient bullets. For really long, long long ranges. This can fire a Berger Extreme Outer Limits 170 gr Bullet at 2,930 FPS. Supersonic to 1,800 yds at sea level. It can fire 140 gr bully’s at 3,200 FPS. It is not your Daddies 270 win. Off course finding long heavy high BC bullets can be a challenge. Might have to get a mini lathe and make my own. What make it really Speacial is you can use factory ammo and shoot everything from 115 gr to 180 gr plus bullets. Versatile. Here she’s all cleaned and ready for vinyl wrap.
    1b4d8d55d26bbf773b218cc5bba1e034.jpg

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Finished my Rem 700 1-8 twist Sendero PROFILE Magpul Hunter stock. Took me 6 1/2 hours total time.
    8815faf016ab5f5c10a8027238402bf6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom