• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I have often read that the 1911 was designed to carried cocked and locked.

But since it was originally a military side arm, wouldn't it be accurate to assume it was originally designed as a sidearm secondary to a long arm (in a combat scenario) to be carried with a fully loaded mag and an empty chamber with the hammer down and holstered until it was called into action?

Rmocarsky

Last edited:

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    It can also be carried with a round in the chamber and the hammer on half-cocked. I personally don't like any of these options.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

But since it was originally a military side arm, wouldn't it be accurate to assume it was originally designed to be carried with a fully loaded mag and an empty chamber with the hammer down until it was called into action?

Rmocarsky

Why would you assume that if it were a military sidearm? Under what circumstances? Parade? Combat? It would depend on where, I suppose. But under combat conditions - loaded and on safe (1911).

Edit: Re-reading your post...no, it was not "designed" to be carried full mag/empty chamber.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not sure about history, but cocked and locked, round in the chamber and a full mag, is the proper way to carry it. if and when you need it, you very well may not have the time or ability to rack a round in the chamber (one hand fighting off an attacker or shielding your child etc).

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    There has only been one way to carry a 1911 if there is an immediate need to use it, that’s condition 1.

It is not meant to be carried at half cock.

Early (“pre-70s”) models have 2 safety’s, later guns have 3.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I don't personally like having the hammer back

But it has a pretty solid safety that physically prevents the hammer from moving. Not to mention the grip safety mechanism. So it is pretty safe to carry with the hammer back.

But it's still not for me.

Something just never felt right about having the hammer back.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

But it has a pretty solid safety that physically prevents the hammer from moving. Not to mention the grip safety mechanism. So it is pretty safe to carry with the hammer back.

Do you carry? What do you carry if so?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The 1911 was designed to be adaptable to many situations.

in combat, condition 1 because time matters in a gunfight, and if you have. to go for your sidearm, you're already in a world of shit

in peacetime, homeport etc, condition 3-to avoid negligent discharge

based on the SOP of the unit and threat level.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

You mentioned 2 safety features. As johnkn pointed out, modern 1911s also have a firing pin block. If by some freak failure the hammer fell despite the thumb safety and the grip safety not being released, if the trigger is not pulled it still isn't going to fire, because the pin is prevented from moving forward to hit the primer.

Btw, you do realize most (maybe all) striker fired guns are basically half-cocked when you chamber a round?

ETA: Here's a relevant article.

Should You Carry Your Pistol Cocked And Locked?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I am a 1911'ista and have quite a few. Luv um. I always practice with them in 'condition 1'.

That said, when I hear a bump in the night, my go to is a Ruger GP100 on one side of the bed and a S&W Model 14 K38 Masterpiece
    on the other side of the bed both with Tritium night sights. I think 12 rnds. should do it . Oh BTW, I am a VERY good shot with these. I practice in DA mode, not SA.

Attachments

• revolvers.jpg
      revolvers.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 173

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

But since it was originally a military side arm, wouldn't it be accurate to assume it was originally designed as a sidearm secondary to a long arm (in a combat scenario) to be carried with a fully loaded mag and an empty chamber with the hammer down and holstered until it was called into action?

Rmocarsky

both, Condition 3 (empty chamber, loaded mag) primarily, then condition1(cocked/locked) "to prepare for imminent action" per the field manual.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I am a 1911'ista and have quite a few. Luv um. I always practice with them in 'condition 1'.

That said, when I hear a bump in the night, my go to is a Ruger GP100 on one side of the bed and a S&W Model 14 K38 Masterpiece
    on the other side of the bed both with Tritium night sights. I think 12 rnds. should do it . Oh BTW, I am a VERY good shot with these. I practice in DA mode, not SA.

There is something to be said for a 3am defense gun being as simple to operate as possible with no chance for jams or other such problems.

Personally I go with 00 buck in a 12 guage for home defense because it will stop an attacker faster than any hand gun.

But....the shell has to chamber properly. It can jam. You can be disoriented at 3am half asleep and scared and forget how to work it. All these things can go wrong with a shotgun.

But a resolver? Point at bad guy. Bang. If the round fails to fire, repeat the bang part. Round no. 2 will probably work. What you lose in soft tissue damage you gain in reliability. And there is a lot to be said for that.

Of course this bring up a valid idea....revolver shotgun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    There is something to be said for a 3am defense gun being as simple to operate as possible with no chance for jams or other such problems.

Personally I go with 00 buck in a 12 guage for home defense because it will stop an attacker faster than any hand gun.

But....the shell has to chamber properly. It can jam. You can be disoriented at 3am half asleep and scared and forget how to work it. All these things can go wrong with a shotgun.

But a resolver? Point at bad guy. Bang. If the round fails to fire, repeat the bang part. Round no. 2 will probably work. What you lose in soft tissue damage you gain in reliability. And there is a lot to be said for that.

Of course this bring up a valid idea....revolver shotgun.

I was with you, until that last paragraph. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom