• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eng

CCW UT
    Jan 11, 2017
    Scaggsville, Ocean City
    Has anyone loaded rifle or carbine rounds on these? I have seen that they are too short for most rounds but also heard smaller rounds (.30 carbine) might be possible.

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just about every round I've loaded for the past 4/5 years has been done on a Pro 1000. I've used a single stage to work up some loads, but once I find a winner, I find myself using the Pro 1000 afterwards.

.45acp, .50Beo, 300BLK, 5.56/.223, and .260 Remington. The .260 is really about the longest you can go on the Pro 1000, at least with the seating die I use (142gr SMK at 2.815" COL), but it can be done.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've tried to load 223 on mine, but while it "can" be done, it isn't all that easy. it plain sucks if you need to size with lube and clean afterwards, or trim cases. The double disk or sliding bar are really inconsistent for powder measuring larger volumes, a drum or perfect powder measure can work, but not automatically. You are stuck filling a dipper or a rack of large pistol brass, then dumping them in a universal charging die. It primes OK, but in the 2nd of 3 stations you can really only prime/charge on the 2nd station and seat on the 3rd, can't crimp unless you use a case crusher aka combo seat/crimp die. The case feeder doesn't hold many, is more difficult to fill, and they tip over much easier than handgun calibers, so usually feed them one at a time. Have to check, trim and clean brass after lubing-sizing, so nothing really to gain doing this on a progressive over a single stage, especially without a decent case feeder. The best use I found was to size on a single stage, measure, trim, clean, prime off press with the autoprime 2 on my single stage. Charge 40 in a block off press with a drum measure. Then and only then put them in the press by hand, seating die in 1st position, nothing in 2, crimp in 3.

Basically only save separate seating and crimping compared to a single stage. There really isn't any time savings compared to a single stage, so as a result I'm going to a Hornady LNL AP for my large volume 9mm and 223 loads, sticking to single stage for most other rifle calibers, and relegating the pro 1000 to runs of a couple hundred handgun loads only. Having loaded on a buddies LNL AP, it's no comparison, it is far more useable, the case feeder is fast enough, the press is smooth, and holds the case far more securely, it's faster even using a single die with an auto case feeder to size/decap. Then trim/debur/swage pockets and clean off press. And run new brass or sized/prepped cases through a decapper(to push out media in primer pockets) prime, charge, seat and crimp. Runs way faster with a lot less work, and practically no stoppages.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I had issues with .223 at first, although I basically taught myself to begin with - so that probably didn't help things.

Not knowing any other press, once I learned it's weak points and how to work with them - my main source of stoppages came during priming/charging. The double-disk system, could be better, but it always threw a pretty consistent charge of H335 (25.1 to 25.3gr), which was nearly perfect for what I was loading.

If nothing else, the Pro 1000 will make you appreciate spending the money on a better press when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom