• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thanks for sharing. I loved my time in Alaska. I was in Kodiak from November through June in 95-96. Spent a lot of time working but still had time to hunt and fish.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks for sharing. I loved my time in Alaska. I was in Kodiak from November through June in 95-96. Spent a lot of time working but still had time to hunt and fish.

I'd be chasing Kodiak bears in a heartbeat if I didn't have to hire a guide to do it! Haven't made it to the Emerald Isle yet, but that's a place I need to see in the future.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I miss those years I spent growing up in Alaska when my father was stationed there in the USAF. My younger brother was born during his first of 2 tours there. All the great hunting and fishing we did (all except the mosquitos we ran into at Gulkana).

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I miss those years I spent growing up in Alaska when my father was stationed there in the USAF. My younger brother was born during his first of 2 tours there. All the great hunting and fishing we did (all except the mosquitos we ran into at Gulkana).

Where was your Dad stationed? We lived on the edge of Elmendorf AFB from about 1966 - 1972, probably less than 350,000 people in Alaska back then. We did most of our moose and caribou hunting on the Denali Highway, along with lots of snowshoe hares and ptarmigan.

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    Very jealous. 2 things holding me back are the money and Say for instance your plane never came back or forgot about you, Is there another way home? I don't like the idea of relying on someone to get me out of the middle of Alaska.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Very jealous. 2 things holding me back are the money and Say for instance your plane never came back or forgot about you, Is there another way home? I don't like the idea of relying on someone to get me out of the middle of Alaska.

I always rent a satellite phone and have it in camp with us. That way we can call the pilots when an animal is down for a meat haul, or call if someone gets injured or needs medical attention. And the pilots I use have been doing this for several decades, and safety is their top priority.

There is another way home - put one foot in front of the other. :) Of course, it would take 10-14 days to hike back to a paved road or the nearest town, if you didn't run out of food first...

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Steve, shoot me a PM when you're closer to making this one happen, I have gear lists and food lists and rough budget numbers I'd be happy to share if it helped you plan your AK adventure.

Michael

Thanks for the kind offer! Likewise if you ever make it to Africa.
    Quick question: do you use or would you recommend a tent/perimeter alarm system for predators such as bear? I guess for the 2-legged variety of predator too. :)

Last edited:

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Quick question: do you use or would you recommend a tent/perimeter alarm system for predators such as bear? I guess for the 2-legged variety of predator too. :)

I have a UDAP Bear Fence, weighs under 3 pounds, runs off 2 D batteries, and can put out 6000 - 7000 volts on good terrain. I had it with us, but didn't opt to set it up this year, given our camp location. Here's a pic of it from our 2010 caribou camp:

61640006.jpg

And one from our 2013 camp, albeit the stakes need to be reset to be more upright:

DSCN0831.jpg

It provides a little peace of mind, but isn't a substitute for good camp practices (no food in sleep tent, burn any odorous food waste right after meal, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom