• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snyperdave

Oct 30, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    So as I understand it now, even though the ATF approved my form 1 for my 7.5" barrel OAL is under 29" back in March I cannot have it assemble because it is illegal.

What do I do with the barrel now and how do I go about putting longer barrel on it to make it legal when the stamp was for the length under 29"

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So I as I understand it now, even though the ATF approved my form 1 for my 7.5" barrel OAL is under 29" back in March I cannot have it assemble because it is illegal.

What do I do with the barrel now and how do I go about putting longer barrel on it to make it legal when the stamp was for the length under 29"

I am not going to say what I am thinking.

If it was me before I did a thing I would call MSP. I would like to hear them explain how this is not legal to complete this build. If you did a trust, maybe an issue. If not, if you have a form with MSP sign off on it saying its legal for you to own that firearm, I would like to hear how this would be illegal. God knows its not based on the law. However I would like a MSP answer rather than an internet expert answer on it... not that the internet expert is not smarter than MSP.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Yes it was on a trust mailed out to the ATF In June of 2013 and finally approved in March 2014.

IANAL - but I think the chances of you ever being successfully prosecuted (or even charged) are slim to none, even without an MSP sign-off.

snyperdave

Oct 30, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    I can change out the flash hider and put on my flaming pig to get rid of one of the dumb copycat features but the length will still be shy of 29"

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I can sell it. But can I put a 10.5" on there even though the form 1 was for a 7.5"?

You need to be able to return it to the approved configuration. Alternatively, you could send a letter to the ATF notifying them of a permanent change in configuration (if you sell the barrel).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You need to be able to return it to the approved configuration. Alternatively, you could send a letter to the ATF notifying them of a permanent change in configuration (if you sell the barrel).

Would merely keeping the bbl. satisfy that requirement? The upper isn't engraved, only the lower. Wouldn't keeping the 7.5 on a receiver be in violation? Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Make it a pistol and eat the tax stamp. Same thing happened to me with Kriss Vector. Also if the Engauge lawsuit goes anywhere forcing MD to change the 29" requirement you can put the stock back on.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Would merely keeping the bbl. satisfy that requirement? The upper isn't engraved, only the lower. Wouldn't keeping the 7.5 on a receiver be in violation? Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think you're fine if you just kept the barrel. Or....buy a stripped lower and turn it into a pistol.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Just put a frigging 10.5" barrel on it. Anything shorter is frigging pointless anyway.

Fear nothing, Nor anyone!

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    I very well may do the 10.5". Was not happy with the chamber in the one I have anyway.

What does it take to make a pistol AR?

You would need to start with a virgin receiver (that has never been documented as being part of a rifle) then you can put on whatever length barrel you'd like. At that point you could install a Sig brace and you would have a Maryland shorty "SBR" (kinda silly ain't it?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom