• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    A few questions. Hold onto your butts. Looking for advice or suggestions.

I'm planning on building a new upper early next year so I'm coming up with a list of parts I'll need. The two parts I haven't decided on yet are the barrel and free float handguard. I'm looking for a 20" varmint/target/heavy barrel, fluted (optional), threaded (optional really), rifle length gas system, chambered in 2.23 Wylde/2.23 rem/5.56, under $500. I saw a noveske (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2265) but it says "medium varmint" so not sure if that qualifies as a heavy barrel under Marylands communist law. If I can't use that, how about this Wilson Combat? (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-...-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR-223SS20F-18/)

Also, must the barrel be heavy from the barrel nut all the way to the muzzle, or can it drop profile where the gas block sits. Kind of like YMS. (http://yhm.net/20-fluted-melonite-qpq-barrels-1475.html) If anyone can recommend a good, 20" heavy target barrel meeting those requirements, I'm all ears.

As far as a handguard, I'm looking for one that will cover the gas block, keymod, and free float. So far, I've seen a troy alpha that doesn't have keymod slots, but did find a Midwest industries rail that looks to fit the bill. Unless anyone can suggest something better, I'll probably go with that. (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1211)

Thanks in advance!

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I checked out the manufacturer's site and don't see anything chambered in 223 wylde. Unless I'm missing something, that wouldn't fit my need. I kind of want the flexibility.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Our white oak barrels are custom made for us. They are indeed HBAR, but we have them engraved "EA-HB" and "HBAR" to be sure. Ours are also bead blasted.

The KMR 15s are hard to find, I just happen to have 4 in stock right now for sale.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    The KMR 15s are hard to find, I just happen to have 4 in stock right now for sale.

417d02e59bc5bc56d3152a92547312fc04cd5a1dbc97a7de1dccb15939cc0e2b.jpg

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Our white oak barrels are custom made for us. They are indeed HBAR, but we have them engraved "EA-HB" and "HBAR" to be sure. Ours are also bead blasted.

I bought the WOA 14.7" from Engage. I agree with Nate. Check them out! I am in the same dilemma as you on the hand guard. I will get a KMR from BCM, JP or Midwest Industries or a carbon fiber rail from Precision Firearms. Not sure who makes it. Handguards are hard to pick out for me.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I honestly see no difference between a MWI and a BCM 15". They both allow keymod rails. Just different barrel nuts. How much are you guys charging for the BCM KMR 15?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I honestly see no difference between a MWI and a BCM 15". They both allow keymod rails. Just different barrel nuts. How much are you guys charging for the BCM KMR 15?

No idea, I think it's around $280, but I'll have to check when we're open tomorrow. I've never felt the MI rail, but love the KMR. Being aluminum/magnesium blend, it is the lightest hg I've ever held.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you intend this upper to fill more of a precision/varmint role, the KMR rail may not be the best option for you.

It is incredibly light and a well thought out system - but it does have a fair amount of flex to it. It shouldn't affect accuracy, but you will notice some flex if you shoot from the bench off a bipod - lean into the rifle to load the bipod and it can mess with your mind some when you see how it flexes under load.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Good to know. Thanks. And yeah if you could give me a price on that BCM 15 that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you intend this upper to fill more of a precision/varmint role, the KMR rail may not be the best option for you.

It is incredibly light and a well thought out system - but it does have a fair amount of flex to it. It shouldn't affect accuracy, but you will notice some flex if you shoot from the bench off a bipod - lean into the rifle to load the bipod and it can mess with your mind some when you see how it flexes under load.

^^^Exactly.

I went with an big ole honk'n old school solid aluminum tube free float tube on my varmint rig and a slab side heavy forge upper receiver. It's very stiff and with the 24" Kreiger barrel the pills come out at half the speed of light. ;)

Leave the keymod rails for the mall ninjas and your carbine.

Old Skool

bb6b4a62.jpg

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    ^^^Exactly.

I went with an big ole honk'n old school solid aluminum tube free float tube on my varmint rig and a slab side heavy forge upper receiver. It's very stiff and with the 24" Kreiger barrel the pills come out at half the speed of light. ;)

Leave the keymod rails for the mall ninjas and your carbine.

Old Skool

bb6b4a62.jpg

That is the tube I want on my varmint rifle. What tube is that? That looks nice. I guess any lo-pro gas block mount will work under that?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I put a Wilson 20" bull barrel (not the fluted one tho) on my first varmint build AR. It shoots half minute of angle all day long and it a groundhog head vaporizer. No regrets, it's been a great rifle to work up loads for, it loves most everything I feed it... lol

Kinda wish they made a 308 barrel, getting ready to build one more rifle... ;)

That said, a bull barrel is a bull barrel and an HBAR is an HBAR.. there is substantially more weight out front on the bull barreled rifle, not one you want to lug around all day long. I have one of each and if it's varmints, I'll grab the bull bbl and get the workout carrying it around, cos it shoots lights out..

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I just ordered from White Oak and while on the phone with the customer rep, she mentioned that they have .223 fluted heavy varmint barrels in stock. I believe the cost was in the $350 range.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    A few questions. Hold onto your butts. Looking for advice or suggestions.

I'm planning on building a new upper early next year so I'm coming up with a list of parts I'll need. The two parts I haven't decided on yet are the barrel and free float handguard. I'm looking for a 20" varmint/target/heavy barrel, fluted (optional), threaded (optional really), rifle length gas system, chambered in 2.23 Wylde/2.23 rem/5.56, under $500. I saw a noveske (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2265) but it says "medium varmint" so not sure if that qualifies as a heavy barrel under Marylands communist law. If I can't use that, how about this Wilson Combat? (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-...-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR-223SS20F-18/)

Also, must the barrel be heavy from the barrel nut all the way to the muzzle, or can it drop profile where the gas block sits. Kind of like YMS. (http://yhm.net/20-fluted-melonite-qpq-barrels-1475.html) If anyone can recommend a good, 20" heavy target barrel meeting those requirements, I'm all ears.

As far as a handguard, I'm looking for one that will cover the gas block, keymod, and free float. So far, I've seen a troy alpha that doesn't have keymod slots, but did find a Midwest industries rail that looks to fit the bill. Unless anyone can suggest something better, I'll probably go with that. (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1211)

Thanks in advance!

Well I'm ordering this barrel here for my precision work. They give a Guaranteed money back offer of Sub MOA without the whole, "Must use this type of ammo, bolt, blah blah blah, for warranty to work.". So here ya go.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Northte...tra-Precision-.223-Wylde-NTD-AR15-BRL-16.html

Fear nothing, Nor anyone!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That is the tube I want on my varmint rifle. What tube is that? That looks nice. I guess any lo-pro gas block mount will work under that?

The upper was built by Fulton Armory and it was a generic house free float tube. I'm sure you can probably still order it on their website, if not give them a call.

What twist rate are you considering? A true varmint rig will be a slower twist but it's not real practical for shooting heavier bullets. I think mine is either a 1:9 or 1:12...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom