What are the laws about building an AR pistol from an 80% lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    There is "banned" and restricted. Handguns being restricted. AR pistols fall somewhere else in regards to 80% question. All non-HBar Ar15 are banned of not purchased prior to fsa2013. That's not the question. Mine is only about polymer80 pistols. My research so far is personal use requires nothing. No ser#. No registration. Correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There is "banned" and restricted. Handguns being restricted. AR pistols fall somewhere else in regards to 80% question. All non-HBar Ar15 are banned of not purchased prior to fsa2013. That's not the question. Mine is only about polymer80 pistols. My research so far is personal use requires nothing. No ser#. No registration. Correct?

You'd probably do better posing this question in one of the '80% threads'

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    AFAIK, as long as you built it yourself, you don't need a serial number on it.

I still don't understand the objection to marking a serial number on a completed 80%. That number isn't registered anywhere, only has meaning to the maker, and having it is very cheap insurance against a potential bad interaction with a LEO who isn't familiar with the intricacies of Federal and MD firearms laws. Same holds true for marking it with a model number to go with the serial. Call it M/N: FroshStache-18, if you want.
    I can sort of understand how marking it with the manufacturer's information (i.e. your name, city, and state) might raise more concerns for some folks. But just a number? Heck, you could use your college girlfriend's measurements, if you want. The number means nothing to anyone but you and doesn't need to be sequential if you make more than one for yourself. Why do so many people seem to have heartburn over the issue?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I still don't understand the objection to marking a serial number on a completed 80%. That number isn't registered anywhere, only has meaning to the maker, and having it is very cheap insurance against a potential bad interaction with a LEO who isn't familiar with the intricacies of Federal and MD firearms laws. Same holds true for marking it with a model number to go with the serial. Call it M/N: FroshStache-18, if you want.
    I can sort of understand how marking it with the manufacturer's information (i.e. your name, city, and state) might raise more concerns for some folks. But just a number? Heck, you could use your college girlfriend's measurements, if you want. The number means nothing to anyone but you and doesn't need to be sequential if you make more than one for yourself. Why do so many people seem to have heartburn over the issue?

No problem at all. Some 80% makers will roll a serial number on it for you if you request it. Most folks just don't want or need to bother with it. To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom