• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I am thinking of heading out in a while too.

I found a fresh scrape near my stand, when I was reloading corn yesterday.
    They are definitely moving in this cold. Hopefully you catch the culprit who is destroying your trees haha

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is there any chance to get a deer on public land this time of year?
    I have been out quite a few times since Thanksgiving, on public lands. But I have yet to see one deer, let alone getting one. The only thing I have seen was a gray fox.
    So, if somebody can tell me if I actually have a chance getting one this time of year, it'll be really appreciated.
    I knew hunting would be hard, but I don't know if it's supposed to be this hard.

Saturday there were only a few trucks at Patuxent. I heard a couple of gun shots in the park from 9-2 when I was there. Pretty sure I bumped a deer off the backside of a hill I was walking along and I did bump three down the valley from me at about 80yds or so. If I’d been maybe 20 yds further down the trail I probably would have had a good shoot, but it was thick right in front of me before everything opened up a lot. Even going slow the dry snow on the leaves was pretty loud. I pushed the deer (slowly) hoping to get one to hang back and get curious. I’ve had them do that a few times when they aren’t heading for the hills (usually bumped at longer distances).

Well, not during hunting season, but in the spring turkey hunting or hiking (summer too) after a few hundred yards and pushing them 2 or 3 times I’ll often get one that’ll hang back a little to try to figure out what this slow persistent thing is till I get to 50 or 60 yds with the others 20-50 further up the trail. I’ve had them look me over for a couple of minutes before trotting off again.

I was hoping to do that again this time, but after the pinch point which was about 100yds up the trail from where they run off they headed at a 30 degree angle away from me in to a side and thick part of the park instead of staying near my trail so I gave up.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Get as far away from the parking lot as possible. Look for heavily used escape routs(lots of tracks) leading off the public land. You may luck out and catch some coming or going. It's tough, but not impossible.

Thanks.
    Saw some tracks today, but still no deer.
    Next time I'll try earlier time, maybe before dawn.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I shot a deer x-bow hunting at the River Road area of Patapsco about 6 or 7 years ago, 35 yd shot, it ran 25 yds and died in plain site behind me to the right as I was in my tree. I watched it die, on its side (white belly facing me). I gave it the customary 30 min before I climbed down. When I walked over to it, the deer (busted up buck with only antler bases left and a giant stupid-looking overbite) it was “sitting up” kinda like it was sleeping with its head down-forward, looked lke it was alive. Now, I watched it die on its side with my binocs only 30 min earlier. I also then noticed that there was white and brown fur spread everywhere, and the deer’s tail was completely gone, only a bloody couple bone fragments left. The a-hole had been eaten into, and a big chunk of rump roast was chewed off. The damn thing was still hot.

I never did see any other animal there, and didn’t monitor the thing laying there the whole time, but something started eating my buck almost instantly, and what was pretty much directly in view. Whatever this thing was it was strong enough to pick up a 125 lb (dressed) deer from its sprawled-out side and position it in the “bedded” position. Back then I guessed coyote. Wasn’t ruling out a black bear as they’ve been spotted in Patapsco a few times. Or perhaps Chupacabra or Bigfoot?? Very weird.

I’ve left plenty of deer in fox-infested woods overnight and retrieved them the next morning with no damage. Had to run crows off a few times, luckily before they got on it. This incident was strange and I’ve never heard any story like it.

Have heard from numerous people about seeing large (not bobcat) cats being spotted around Patapsco. Wouldn't rule mountain lions out.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I cannot rule this out. Like I said earlier in this thread, the deer have completely disappeared from my property. Very unusual. They are typically out every day and night. I shot one at the middle of rifle season and then they all left. I found an entire rib cage on my hill not long after that. Thought it was very strange.

These tracks are big. No dogs wondering around that I have ever seen. Whatever it was it walked up the driveway, walked around the back yard and up onto the porch. Then up the hill into the woods. Didn’t follow tracks past my property but there are very heavy woods for miles behind my property.

The animal came between 5 am when I left and 12:30 when I got home from work. No tracks were in the driveway snow when I left.
    Christmas day driving to my inlaws, there was about a 60lb yote dead on the road right as you get onto 895S from 95S. Sucker was huge

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Little late to the party but this was opening day for me on Frederick gun season. All taken with a .243.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_180505105.jpg
      IMG_20171125_180505105.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 154

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'll take the one on the right. I like em little.

Congrats!

That's not what she said :lol2:

Late season is looking to stack up to suck.

Looks like they are calling for a nasty winter storm overnight Wednesday in to Thursday with record lows Friday and Saturday before it finally warms up in to the 40s next week.

Good thing I've got some really warm clothes, but damn. I might not be able to do DSC on the way out if it is actively snowing hard Thursday. Though I'd think maybe/probably they'd be open? Should be gentler snow fall in that area and Salisbury then further south on Delmarva.

Maybe I'll have a coating of snow to track stuff in Nanticoke. Probably still beats 20s and 1+ inch of snow per hour blizzard and 30mph winds of the last day of the late season at Nanticoke last year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking like no go. Forecast for the Salisbury area is now 6-12” inches. Way more than my car can handle on a dirt road, especially if it pushes the top end. So I am sad no Nanticoke for me this year.

I was really looking forward to it. I’ll probably try to hunt one or both days closer to home. I’d still like to rifle hunt. Options in central Maryland that allow a rifle?

Does Monacacy allow rifles now? I’ve never hunted there before. A bit of me is thinking of trying Frederick city watershed, but I also feel like it’ll be a pumpkin patch.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Should be good for Sika this weekend after the wind tomorrow. All froze up back there they will be out in the woods like rats. Wonder what the tide will be like.

I wish, but a possible foot of snow and a car not a truck is going to keep me stuck on this side of the bay.

I guess maybe next year might be my year for a Sika.

Probably just do Frederick city watershed. I am at least broadly familiar with parts of it from squirrel hunting there a few times.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Looking like no go. Forecast for the Salisbury area is now 6-12” inches. Way more than my car can handle on a dirt road, especially if it pushes the top end. So I am sad no Nanticoke for me this year.

I was really looking forward to it. I’ll probably try to hunt one or both days closer to home. I’d still like to rifle hunt. Options in central Maryland that allow a rifle?

Does Monacacy allow rifles now? I’ve never hunted there before. A bit of me is thinking of trying Frederick city watershed, but I also feel like it’ll be a pumpkin patch.

This late in the year the watershed shouldn’t be too crowded. I too had heard monocacy is rifle again, I didn’t think there was that much back there to warrant a rifle. Good luck either way.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0407.JPG Its going to be so cold I don't plan on sitting a whole lot I can tell you that! If you can jump some near the ice you can flatten them.
    Hopefully the hollies aren't all pulled down with snow and Ice so you cant see under them.
    Im going to carry my circa 1905 tactical model in case I can fall in with a van full of Mennonites over near Elliot's sometime after daylight maybe:)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 222037 Its going to be so cold I don't plan on sitting a whole lot I can tell you that! If you can jump some near the ice you can flatten them.
    Hopefully the hollies aren't all pulled down with snow and Ice so you cant see under them.
    Im going to carry my circa 1905 tactical model in case I can fall in with a van full of Mennonites over near Elliot's sometime after daylight maybe:)

Sounds like a plan....

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom