• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Just received this anti 2nd drivel in a mass E-mail to the University of Maryland Baltimore Community from the president entitled An Economic Incentive for Gun Control:

Feb. 19, 2018

To the UMB Community:

As a father, grandfather, and pediatrician, I am horrified by the ongoing slaughter of children -- in schools nationwide and on the streets of Baltimore. Every day, two dozen children, on average, are shot in the U.S. In 2016, 1,637 children and teenagers were killed by guns. Given a public health crisis of this magnitude and lawmakers' maddening refusal to confront it, I am convinced that money is at the root of our nation's inaction.

During the 2016 election cycle, the National Rifle Association (NRA) spent more than $58 million on direct party and campaign contributions, federal lobbying, and political advocacy. Is it this money that's made so many of our lawmakers and their supporters unbelievably tolerant of murder?

And could money be the way we take back our country from the gun lobby and protect our children from this carnage? Each year, U.S. academic organizations spend a considerable sum on meetings and conferences -- tens of millions of dollars at least. These dollars could be the leverage we need.

In 2016, the North Carolina legislature passed HB2 (the "bathroom bill"), which mandated that individuals use public restrooms corresponding to their gender at birth. In response to this action, which clearly targeted the transgender community, corporations backed out of plans to add facilities and jobs in the state. Musicians canceled concerts. The NCAA announced it would pull its championship games from North Carolina. The NAACP initiated a boycott, and some state governments prohibited nonessential travel to North Carolina. The Associated Press estimated the total cost to North Carolina at $3.76 billion. With these losses threatening the state's fiscal strength, the ideologues in the North Carolina legislature abandoned some of their ideals. The next year lawmakers signed a compromise bill that scrapped the bathroom measure.

So I will be talking with leaders of the professional and scientific organizations to which I belong, asking them to consider the strictness of a state's gun-control laws when choosing meeting sites, and to shift their spending to those states whose lawmakers are more interested in protecting their citizens' lives than in protecting their right to bear arms.

This scorecard from the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence is a good resource for assessing the gun-friendliness of each state. You'll see that Maryland is among seven states with an A or A- grade, indicating that we're tougher on guns than most other states. On the other end of the spectrum are 25 states with an F grade.

If you feel as I do, that with our money we can "weaponize" the issue of gun control (as the NRA has done so effectively), then I invite you to follow my lead. I invite you to contact the organizations to which you belong and demand that they use the power of their purse -- and therefore yours -- to influence state-level policy.

I'm eager to hear your ideas on how we might focus our research and teaching here at UMB to take up this fight against gun violence. But in the meantime, I ask that we wield the economic power we have to demand stricter gun laws and to protect this nation's children, and all of its citizens, from harm.

Sincerely,

Jay A. Perman, MD
    President

Isn't UMB a state-funded and supported institution?

"...and to shift their spending to those states whose lawmakers are more interested in protecting their citizens' lives than in protecting their right to bear arms. "...

The State has a legal duty to protect its citizens' constitutional rights, but not to protect their lives.

Oh, and aren't illegal aliens going to be up in arms about him purporting to limit protection to citizens, too?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Minnesota gets a C or D rating, but it's far safer than Maryland based on homicide rates.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My wife works at this campus and knows him. "He's a nice man" she said. My response was "he may be nice man but he's severely misguided and a d*ckhead".
    :mad54::mad54:

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    My wife works at this campus and knows him. "He's a nice man" she said. My response was "he may be nice man but he's severely misguided and a d*ckhead".
    :mad54::mad54:

I actually work in the same building he does and see him from time to time as well as on the elevator. He has a campus police detail unlike the rest of us serfs. Must be nice to have such a huge platform to espouse his personal liberal propaganda.
    :mad54:

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    I'm going to put together the facts for him in an E-mail and send it anomalously not that it'll do any good. There are actually a lot of like minded people here who think like we do. When I was at the Patriot Picket last Monday one of his staff walked past me with his nose to the ground headed to the General Insane Asylum. I almost said something to him but it was probably best that I didn't engage especially knowing what I know now.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    Isn't UMB a state-funded and supported institution?

"...and to shift their spending to those states whose lawmakers are more interested in protecting their citizens' lives than in protecting their right to bear arms. "...

The State has a legal duty to protect its citizens' constitutional rights, but not to protect their lives.

Oh, and aren't illegal aliens going to be up in arms about him purporting to limit protection to citizens, too?

He's all for the illegals and is always sending out E-mails trashing Trump every chance he gets. Don't see how he can get away with this, this time he's completely unhinged and way over the top IMHO.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    State funded and supported, indeed. It’s bad enough when misinformation is stated as fact, it’s even worse when it’s done on the public’s dime.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I got as far as "public health crisis", and I was done. When these pinheads continue to equate a criminal justice matter to public health, they lose all credibility. These "intellectuals" are so insular, that they become extremely stupid from a practical standpoint.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was beaten to the punch several times over with the "A" for "tough on guns" (again, missing the mark by ignoring the person wielding it for criminal use), and yet Baltimore is the worst with crime.

Remind this moron that the number of people killed in "school shootings" annually averages something in the low 20s... and some of those are adults.

Is it acceptable? Of course not... but neither is it an epidemic scourge on humanity.

Oh... and the FL LoserMan was also looking into explosives, probably in case the gun thing didn't work out.

BTW... how does the 'Bathroom Bill' fit into this, other than as a spurious win to support an equally spurious activist position on the 2A.

Call to boycott Constitutionally friendly states; using the bathroom bill as evidence it works.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    115 Americans died from opioid overdoses yesterday. (source: CDC https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html )

Where's the outrage?

Obviously, there's a political agenda, and there's much more to it than just the cause of death.

This!!! The opioid epidemic isn’t as easy as shouting to the sky and demanding to make things illegal. If you think the nra spends money to bribe, I mean provide campaign contributions for our politicians, just look at the drug industry.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I actually work in the same building he does and see him from time to time as well as on the elevator. He has a campus police detail unlike the rest of us serfs. Must be nice to have such a huge platform to espouse his personal liberal propaganda.
    :mad54:

Why does he need a personal security detail, when the President of UMD doesn't have one??

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    1637 children killed by guns? Tell him nearly a million were killed by doctors!

abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_abortion_statistics
    Jan 22, 2018 - Based on available state-level data, approximately 893,000 abortions took place in the United States in 2016—down from approximately 914,000 abortions in 2015.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I got as far as "public health crisis", and I was done. When these pinheads continue to equate a criminal justice matter to public health, they lose all credibility. These "intellectuals" are so insular, that they become extremely stupid from a practical standpoint.

Better yet when do you think they will ask CDC to study how criminal justice matters like the affect of the fourth and fifth amendment have on the "public health issue" with prior criminals (over 90% of Baltimore murder is committed by prior criminals) committing all but a tiny portion of all murder be it by knife, gun beating, whatever? And therefore a slam dunk that public health will reap an enormous benefit with new restrictions that make it easier to detect and prosecute criminals, and sentence them longer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom