• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Saw an ad for a 30 round USGI aluminum 223/556 magazine "blocked" to 10 rounds ($16.25 each dlvd). The ad said "Blocking cannot be removed; magazine is physically crimped to prevent loading more than ten rounds".

Why would someone buy something like this when 10 rounders are readily available ?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Saw an ad for a 30 round USGI aluminum 223/556 magazine "blocked" to 10 rounds ($16.25 each dlvd). The ad said "Blocking cannot be removed; magazine is physically crimped to prevent loading more than ten rounds".

Why would someone buy something like this when 10 rounders are readily available ?

That sounds like an out of state challenge to someone with enough time on their hands :innocent0

I've never priced ten rounders...maybe this is cheaper :shrug:

Or looks "cool" in a place where the real deal is not allowed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It looks "normal " aka " looks cool " . You would have to be fairly close , and know what to look for to notice the crimps.

On the flip side , even where larger magazines are OK , shorty magazines have potential advantages for bench shooting , or low prone , etc .

Added - Once you invest in crimp tool , you can make about $10/ mag gross margin , at a price point for consumers competetive with purpose built shorties .

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I think Magpul makes 10 or 15 round AR Pmags that look like 30 rounders. I believe I saw these for sale in NJ. I guess so your AR would "cool" From the outside of the mag I couldn't tell the difference.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Its not just “looking cool”

What’s easier to reload, pull from a pouch, and handle: A near-flush to the magwell magazine or one that’s as long or longer than the grip?

While AR mags are pretty available, many magazines for other guns are rare and the only way you may get them is if a normal capacity mag is permanently modified to only load 10

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    See above: Longer mags are easier to reload. The stubby little 10 rounders I got with my AR are a huge PITA.

Also, a lot of people tend to use the mags as a vertical grip. Very convenient, and I find myself doing this. stubby 10 rounders are not good for this.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Its not just “looking cool”

What’s easier to reload, pull from a pouch, and handle: A near-flush to the magwell magazine or one that’s as long or longer than the grip?

While AR mags are pretty available, many magazines for other guns are rare and the only way you may get them is if a normal capacity mag is permanently modified to only load 10

Also, to go along with this, using pinned 30 round magazines will help you develop the muscle memory and reflexes to use them when you can have real 30 round magazines.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    When you absolutely, positively have to look like a "mall ninja" but the local laws will not allow you to own the real thing.:innocent0:lol2::lol2:

Just kidding! Seriously though, how did the militaries of the world ever manage to survive with lowly bolt actions that used stripper clips?
    I have had no problems with 10 rd. mags dropping free and the shorter profile makes it much better when shooting prone or from a bench.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Year ago CMP matches required you to use 'regular' sized magazines. I have three 10 shot shot magazines made during the Clinton Assault Weapons ban era that look like 20 rounders.

Also, as stated above it is easier to swap magazines when they are 'regular' sized.
    Good luck

Jerry

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Having a short mag is like having a small weener. All the other guys at the range will make fun of you.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I bought stubbies but that is for bench shooting or dialing in since you usually shoot 4-5 rounds and adjust and sometimes depending on the bench and such 20s and definitely 30s get in the way. My guess to why the 30 is crimped is so it can be identified in low light by the shooter if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom