• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    First off, let me start by saying I grew up in WV, but way down in Charleston which, in the 80's and 90's meant an almost 6 hour drive to get to Jefferson County, so I never really made it up that way then. I knew a couple of kids from Musselman High through Key Club, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the schools in the area.

Now to the pertinent part. I recently found out that I'm on a very short list for a promotion to a regional management position within my company which would mean that, once I got into the routine and stable with the new position, I could move back to my home state and still be within a reasonable commute of the units I'll have to watch over.

The caveat here is that we currently have a 3-year-old and obviously want him to have a good public school education. While I know that some schools in the panhandle are phenomenal, I also know that others don't really make the grade so to speak.

We'd be looking to move anywhere from the Berkley Springs/Hedgesville area all the way east to Shepherdstown/Harpers Ferry. Are there any areas that I should avoid at all costs due to schools or other factors? We're a few years away from making this move, but knowing now what areas to avoid will help us focus down the road.

Thanks in advance!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    My Daughter when she moved to Hedgesville, my Granddaughters when they transferred from Frederick County, Walkersville when they got to WV they had to catch-up on their classes they were behind...if that means anything?

From what I am told by my Daughter the Schools are better...and Berkeley County is the only County with population/growth...when we purchased our home in WV the Lawyers broke down the demographics at the time?...

Hedgesville is growing although all of the 3 level of schools in HV are relatively close to each other...They are very Sports orientated for both Boys and Girls...

Plus it is a Free State, Open Carry and CC...No MD BS on Firearms...

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mabe Frosh and his friends need to make a trip to the "wild West" and see that crime does go down when law abiding citizens get to open and conceal carry... but he might not notice since he has that special State Police detail with him... who are open caring as well. Hmmm He might have a Frosh attack when he sees all thos law abiding citizens open carrying and he cant do anything about it.....:rofl:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My Daughter when she moved to Hedgesville, my Granddaughters when they transferred from Frederick County, Walkersville when they got to WV they had to catch-up on their classes they were behind...if that means anything?

From what I am told by my Daughter the Schools are better...and Berkeley County is the only County with population/growth...when we purchased our home in WV the Lawyers broke down the demographics at the time?...

Hedgesville is growing although all of the 3 level of schools in HV are relatively close to each other...They are very Sports orientated for both Boys and Girls...

Plus it is a Free State, Open Carry and CC...No MD BS on Firearms...

Thanks for the info! I got an excellent education in the public school system down in Charleston, and everyone I knew from the panhandle had a good education as well, so I figured it'd be a-ok. Just wanted to double-check as the intervening 20 years hasn't been as kind to the schools in other parts of the state.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Thanks for the info! I got an excellent education in the public school system down in Charleston, and everyone I knew from the panhandle had a good education as well, so I figured it'd be a-ok. Just wanted to double-check as the intervening 20 years hasn't been as kind to the schools in other parts of the state.

Your Welcome

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    My 7-year-old is in second grade in Elkins and compared to first grade in Southern Maryland we believe that the school here is better and he has some catching up to do.
    Plus the teachers do not seem to have the liberal leanings that we saw at the Maryland school.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My 7-year-old is in second grade in Elkins and compared to first grade in Southern Maryland we believe that the school here is better and he has some catching up to do.
    Plus the teachers do not seem to have the liberal leanings that we saw at the Maryland school.

Good to hear. My grandson started kindergarten in Elkins this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Harpers Ferry - I hear c.w. Shipley elementary is fantastic and Harpers Ferry middle school too.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Don't know if your Catholic...We Catholic home school our kids, 12 and 9. Wife and her 4 sisters graduated from Seton Catholic Home Study and they all graduated from Kutztown University or Temple University.
    http://www.setonhome.org
    http://www.setonhome.org/accreditation/

Our church is St James the Greater
    Its a beautiful church and I was surprised they have a marble copy of the Pieta. Also we just built the Our Lady of Fatima Shrine. Very active church. We are involved with Trail Life USA and American Heritage Girls.
    http://stjameswv.org/our-lady-of-fatima-garden/introduction/

Attachments

• 20171021_181120.jpg
      20171021_181120.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 108
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member