• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I absolutely hate going to indoor gun ranges. Most of them are filled with incompetent and untrained people pulling triggers, they tend to be crowded and I can never just go and train. I can’t do holster draw, some don’t allow high velocity, and some don’t allow automatic or rapid fire and some don’t allow shotgun except slugs. Collecting and saving my brass in these places tends to be a headache and in short, public indoor ranges (for me) sucks. I tried to purchase land to shoot on for the last two years but that’s been another needle in the haystack!

I almost pulled the trigger (no pun intended) to use 1200 SF of my warehouse and convert it to an area just for me to shoot. So, I started thinking about going bigger if others would be interested. So, if things keep lining up, I have a different indoor gun range concept that I’d like to build and get everyone’s feedback for possible pitfalls and/or misses in services provided. This isn’t so much about making money as it is for the love of shooting. I assure you however, I’m not going into this to lose money.

I own commercial warehouse space in Northern Baltimore County and I’d like to do a build out for an indoor range. The concept is simple, this is purely a private shooting range. No guns will be rented, no glass counters and shooters will need to bring everything they need themselves. I don’t want to be competition to the existing gun ranges and would prefer word of mouth as I don’t want every knucklehead trying to get in and shoot.

I’m looking at a simple vending setup for ammunition, eye and ear protection just in case someone is forgetful and even drinks and snacks. I have not found anything for target vending but still working on it.

No firearms will be stored in this facility but that may need to change to a rental locker system if everything goes well. Zero retail will be conducted at this range, no cash transactions and the vending will even be credit card only to reduce overhead. It may be a 24/7 operation with a card access, but I don’t have those bugs worked out yet. Either way, access will be tight and there will be around the clock surveillance.

To use the facility, shooters will need to be members in good standing (reasonably priced) and screened through an appropriate entity. To become a member, you will need to be an NRA member, 21 years of age, references and indemnify the range for your negligence by naming the range as additional insured through your homeowner’s or business policy. Still working out the details for the indemnification with my attorneys and insurance broker. I’m also looking to make this range available to law enforcement through government contracts but that’s still being worked on.

The concept is this facility will have 3 main areas, very well ventilated, a lead dust evac system with ballistic and acoustic protection 360 degrees including ceilings. One area will be for individual shooting booths with programmable targets and two areas will be 3 gun sections which can be quickly and easily converted to a ten-lane target area for “possible” law enforcement.

The two, 3 gun sections excites me the most but I’m not sure how many members would utilize 3-gun. I love indoor 3 gun but those areas will consume the most square footage thus, the most expensive. I was at a range some years back and loved this indoor 3 gun set up and it’s exactly what I’d like to duplicate. Sorry for the YouTube post,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0spoomUw0w

Also looking for feedback on building an additional CQC area which may be another law enforcement draw. I’m still speaking with some experts in the know on layout for CQC training but again, if this space can be used for law enforcement too, why not. I don’t see many members using a CQC space, but I could be wrong.

Members will likely need to go online and schedule their range time and see what’s available like making a reservation through OpenTable for a restaurant. This range won’t be intended to just show up and shoot but that’s still being thought out too. If everything looks promising going forward, I will likely go to the county for preliminary approval and permits. Input would be great appreciated and thanks in advance!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I think you lost people at adding your business to their insurance policies. I can’t imagine my Maryland based insurance company wouldn’t salivate at charging me a very large premium to participate in such “dangerous” activities. Just my $.02.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I think you lost people at adding your business to their insurance policies. I can’t imagine my Maryland based insurance company wouldn’t salivate at charging me a very large premium to participate in such “dangerous” activities. Just my $.02.

Bingo.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    My guess is its doable. If you have a spare 8-10 million dollars.

You are way off on costs which is exactly why I'm doing it in this fashion to limit costs. Been in business for over 30 years, know commercial real estate, construction and permit processes extremely well. Already own the building but even then your numbers are way high. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. My post isn't asking about financial matters, it's to explore shooters interest in the concept and their specific feedback.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Even still, what those guys say about insurance kills it. You're asking for something that doesn't exist.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

I explored this issue many times and currently additional insure my clients for my negligence too often to mention without an increase in premiums. I explored through a homeowners policy and I believe they wanted an addition $100.00 to name someone as additional insured.

All concepts still on the table and thanks for the feedback!

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The idea is great in many ways.

The implementation is Tricky part.

5-10 mill is a complete left field estimate. I have ben doing large mechanical work for 32yrs.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Getting insurance certificates for a commercial liability policy is SOP and no problem. I'm not sure how that would play out on a homeowners policy? You would probably need to get a liability policy covering the range, and then you'd probably need to mitigate the risk by having an RSO on duty, etc. In my opinion, other than zoning, the insurance issue would probably be the trickiest.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Getting insurance certificates for a commercial liability policy is SOP and no problem. I'm not sure how that would play out on a homeowners policy? You would probably need to get a liability policy covering the range, and then you'd probably need to mitigate the risk by having an RSO on duty, etc. In my opinion, other than zoning, the insurance issue would probably be the trickiest.

The zoning is already in place and so is the building. I won't do this if an RSO is required, I doubt it will be, but so far the liability policy for the range isn't that bad. My greatest concern is getting additionally insured from a HO policy. Even though it's just for the shooters own negligence, insurance companies tend to be problematic for a simple HO policy. A simple contracted indemnification is the back up plan if that becomes too great an issue.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Charlotte (NC) Rifle and Pistol Club has a large main, outdoor range, and an additional 24-7 indoor range for members. Might be worth reaching out to them? I was going through the membership process right when I ended up moving to MD, which is why I bring it up.

Either way, I'm intrigued by the concept of a "less public" indoor range. For what it's worth, a lot of the public indoor ranges I used to frequent in NC would shut down or have off hours openings for training classes or competitions, both of which were much more lenient on rapid fire, drawing, etc.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Sounds like you've done your homework & I wish you nothing but good luck. I think the NRA has resources available for potential indoor range businesses. If I was younger I'd be doing this in Carroll County in the airport industrial park.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    The NRA has a division that will give you help with range construction concepts and feasibility stuidies. I have the info somewhere from when we did our outdoor range. You can PM me if you wish.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    The NRA has a division that will give you help with range construction concepts and feasibility stuidies. I have the info somewhere from when we did our outdoor range. You can PM me if you wish.

Do you know anyone going to NRA's Range Development & Operations Conference in Tampa in 5 weeks? I'm signed up but was hoping to find someone who went to one of these before.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Just a random thought: would building one underground save a lot of money when it comes to backstop or roof/side shielding?

Especially if using existing dug out structure from mining or into side of mountain?

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I would think if a person had an umbrella insurance policy, that would cover the person at your range. Either that, or a firearm policy? I have both cause there are too many stupid Judges willing to give away your money, even when you're not a fault..

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I explored this issue many times and currently additional insure my clients for my negligence too often to mention without an increase in premiums. I explored through a homeowners policy and I believe they wanted an addition $100.00 to name someone as additional insured.

All concepts still on the table and thanks for the feedback!

Sorry to say, but my ins co will not insure a german shepard or a doberman. Indemnity for gun range events? If they would, i’d probably drop them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom