• ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ouch

That permit takes a TON of effort. :D

it did. I wanted to sound Thoreau-like in my reasoning lolol...... You were not around to hold my hand- or at least share some bourbon. lol.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Once you have a PA permit, it is good until it expires. You do not have to maintain your Resident State permit. If Lancaster Co was that concerned, they would make the expiration date the same as your MD permit. They can't do that. Permits are state permits and follow state laws.

It is good until it expires or IS REVOKED. The sheriff is REQUIRED BY STATE LAW TO REVOKE if he becomes aware you no longer meet the requirements to be issued a permit. This includes having a home state permit.

I bolded the relevant parts below.
    § 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms. said:
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    (xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
    (xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).
    (xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.
    (xiv) An individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Adams County and many others do not revoke.

That paragraph is included in a cappy place, no wonder it's not universally enforced. Dumb .

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    On my way up to the Harrisburg show I called the York county sheriffs office to see if I could stop in and fill out paperwork for PA permit.
    Officer who answered insisted I would be waisting my time and would be best to fill out the form online submit it, then once approved to come up to receive my permit

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    On my way up to the Harrisburg show I called the York county sheriffs office to see if I could stop in and fill out paperwork for PA permit.
    Officer who answered insisted I would be waisting my time and would be best to fill out the form online submit it, then once approved to come up to receive my permit

They accept apps by email?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    At least in Adams they do. You can download the form online, fill it out and mail it in. I think mine took about 2 weeks, they sent me letter in the mail that said bring this letter and $30 to the courthouse (Gettysburg), they took my picture and printed/laminated the card on the spot and I was out in less than 15 minutes.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Adams County and many others do not revoke.

That paragraph is included in a cappy place, no wonder it's not universally enforced. Dumb .

There's law enforcement officers who don't follow the law? I'm shocked...shocked, I tell ya.... :D :rolleyes:

My main point of posting was to correct those who think the ones saying they will revoke are "just blowing smoke". They're not, and the law calls for them to do it. Just like issuance, revocation isn't so "uniform" under PA's "Uniform Permitting System"....

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    There's law enforcement officers who don't follow the law? I'm shocked...shocked, I tell ya.... :D :rolleyes:

My main point of posting was to correct those who think the ones saying they will revoke are "just blowing smoke". They're not, and the law calls for them to do it. Just like issuance, revocation isn't so "uniform" under PA's "Uniform Permitting System"....

I say we start a letter writing campaign for equal enforcement!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The reason why most of the sheriffs offices will say it is a waste of time is most PA sheriffs take the initial application by mail, and the pickup has to be in person. So going to the sheriffs office for the initial application is a waste. There are a few within an hour of Harrisburg that will do it right there most of the time, and if unable, will mail it. But most will not.

It looks like yes they can revoke or I suppose set expiry shorter, but that if you have a resident licence in your state of residence that this is for "issuance" and if the Pa authorities do not actively revoke you are not in any violation.

I don't want to say how I know, but i know for a fact that some sheriffs departments certainly do issue you the full five year term for your PA licence, even if you have less than two years to go on your in-state non-pa licence.

On what is the 2a friendliness I have some experience with one central eastern part of the state which is extremely friendly: 20 minutes and $20 from going in the door with a non conditional home state licence, to walking out with laminated 5 year Pa licence. I can PM the county to members.

pafoa.org the pa equivalent of Mdshooters has a good list of counties' policy here -- but only use it a a starting point -- check their forums and the county sheriffs own sites or call, as some have gotten more difficult. EG cumberland is often refusing non res permits, and Dauphin county too.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I received my approval letter from Adams county. Exactly one week from submission to my door.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Sadly Adams county doesn't issue on a nice plastic card like Lancaster did in 2010. They print it and then laminate. All said and done now, at least.

jtaldow

www.mises.org
    Jan 28, 2018
    Montgomery County, MD
    Sadly Adams county doesn't issue on a nice plastic card like Lancaster did in 2010. They print it and then laminate. All said and done now, at least.

that's disappointing. The Virginia non-resident permits are like that too. They look like any idiot with a laminator could have made it in his garage. Are the licenses from York County the same way?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    New VA NR permits look like Drivers Licenses. I had my old crappy one replaced.

5 bucks IIRC

They cain't spell two good down thar in Virginny either

Attachments

• VA CCW Front.jpg
      VA CCW Front.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 400
    • vsp.JPG
      vsp.JPG
      49.2 KB · Views: 193
    Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Is it still barely recognizable as a carry permit? Very small print upper left.
    The officer at door took and held my 1.5" pen knife, but did return it when I left.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Is it still barely recognizable as a carry permit? Very small print upper left.
    The officer at door took and held my 1.5" pen knife, but did return it when I left.

I would say yes barely recognizable with the small print. A bit irritated that I had a nicer one two counties over 8 years ago.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    that's disappointing. The Virginia non-resident permits are like that too. They look like any idiot with a laminator could have made it in his garage. Are the licenses from York County the same way?

York County is laminated paper as well unless things have changed in the last couple years. Mine is up for renewal this year, so it would be nice to have a better card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom