• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    Just received this anti 2nd drivel in a mass E-mail to the University of Maryland Baltimore Community from the president entitled An Economic Incentive for Gun Control:

Feb. 19, 2018

To the UMB Community:

As a father, grandfather, and pediatrician, I am horrified by the ongoing slaughter of children -- in schools nationwide and on the streets of Baltimore. Every day, two dozen children, on average, are shot in the U.S. In 2016, 1,637 children and teenagers were killed by guns. Given a public health crisis of this magnitude and lawmakers' maddening refusal to confront it, I am convinced that money is at the root of our nation's inaction.

During the 2016 election cycle, the National Rifle Association (NRA) spent more than $58 million on direct party and campaign contributions, federal lobbying, and political advocacy. Is it this money that's made so many of our lawmakers and their supporters unbelievably tolerant of murder?

And could money be the way we take back our country from the gun lobby and protect our children from this carnage? Each year, U.S. academic organizations spend a considerable sum on meetings and conferences -- tens of millions of dollars at least. These dollars could be the leverage we need.

In 2016, the North Carolina legislature passed HB2 (the "bathroom bill"), which mandated that individuals use public restrooms corresponding to their gender at birth. In response to this action, which clearly targeted the transgender community, corporations backed out of plans to add facilities and jobs in the state. Musicians canceled concerts. The NCAA announced it would pull its championship games from North Carolina. The NAACP initiated a boycott, and some state governments prohibited nonessential travel to North Carolina. The Associated Press estimated the total cost to North Carolina at $3.76 billion. With these losses threatening the state's fiscal strength, the ideologues in the North Carolina legislature abandoned some of their ideals. The next year lawmakers signed a compromise bill that scrapped the bathroom measure.

So I will be talking with leaders of the professional and scientific organizations to which I belong, asking them to consider the strictness of a state's gun-control laws when choosing meeting sites, and to shift their spending to those states whose lawmakers are more interested in protecting their citizens' lives than in protecting their right to bear arms.

This scorecard from the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence is a good resource for assessing the gun-friendliness of each state. You'll see that Maryland is among seven states with an A or A- grade, indicating that we're tougher on guns than most other states. On the other end of the spectrum are 25 states with an F grade.

If you feel as I do, that with our money we can "weaponize" the issue of gun control (as the NRA has done so effectively), then I invite you to follow my lead. I invite you to contact the organizations to which you belong and demand that they use the power of their purse -- and therefore yours -- to influence state-level policy.

I'm eager to hear your ideas on how we might focus our research and teaching here at UMB to take up this fight against gun violence. But in the meantime, I ask that we wield the economic power we have to demand stricter gun laws and to protect this nation's children, and all of its citizens, from harm.

Sincerely,

Jay A. Perman, MD
    President

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Sure, Maryland gets an "A" for being "tough on guns", how about we talk about the "F" for "not so tough on violent criminals."

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Attachments

• 7CB54B48-EF0C-4672-84DC-0D2790DF35C1.jpg
      7CB54B48-EF0C-4672-84DC-0D2790DF35C1.jpg
      60.4 KB · Views: 224

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ties in really well with Baltimore being named the most dangerous city in the US. Hope Jay saw that story ... pretty sure his colleagues DID

Mr H

Banana'd
    Remind this moron that the number of people killed in "school shootings" annually averages something in the low 20s... and some of those are adults.

Is it acceptable? Of course not... but neither is it an epidemic scourge on humanity.

Oh... and the FL LoserMan was also looking into explosives, probably in case the gun thing didn't work out.

BTW... how does the 'Bathroom Bill' fit into this, other than as a spurious win to support an equally spurious activist position on the 2A.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    The 2nd Amendment provides Americans the ability to defend ourselves from the oppression of our own government. When you understand how many around the world have been murdered by their own governments, the idea of America being gun free is a damn scary thought.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    So much for achedemic organizations fostering open dialogue and healthy debate. This is simply a FU, we don’t care what you think, here is what you should believe. No president, CEO should be this partisan.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This may quell the Left's invasion and contamination of the truly free states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom