Suggestions on refinishing this 870 stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’ve never done this befo’ and I need advice. I assume you strip off old finish, sand, and stain?

There is actually a decent looking finish underneath the crappy top finish, but I guess there’s no way to only remove the top layer of finish?

What stain would you recommend for an 870 stock?

Attachments

• 183FE873-2237-4943-86FA-C3303CF238AB.jpg
      183FE873-2237-4943-86FA-C3303CF238AB.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 357

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like it might be congealed Tru-oil or some that was applied too quickly or maybe over applied.You might be able to steam some of it off but its going to be messy. I would use a mild chemical stripper, steam it with an iron or tea kettle, wipe it down with some lint free cotton rags and let it dry out some. ( be careful steaming from the end grain to avoid a split like from behind the recoil pad)
    Have a look at it, then avoid sandpaper as much as possible. Use a scotch brite pad, degreased bronze or steel wool with a backer where necessary then rub in some alcohol based stain.
    If it's beech or birch, which it doesn't look like from here, it will be hard to get oil based stain to penetrate very well.
    Finish with Rlo or Blo to fill the grain cut back with some turpentine and then a few more coats uncut then wet sand. Let it dry one or two days minimum between coats in a warm area then continually apply every so often.

Last edited:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Citrus strip in a plastic paint tray. Let the juice do the work. Never, ever sand a stock. Steam any dents and refinish as you'd like. Layered BLO is fine for a flat military finish. Layers of Tru Oil (now available at Wal-Mart) and silicone spray to a high gloss shine. I never use poly urethane products. Don't like the plasticy feel.

I have a 1912 Remmy Model 10 that looked like that. Currently the stock is clean waiting for the rust bluing the finish before deciding what to do with it. It had been sanded so the stock to metal fitment is poor.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I used the kleen strip stuff once to do something similar. It was a nasty process. I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing but was willing to risk the stock.

If you're not emotionally tied to that stock, you might also look on Numrich or ebay to look for unfinished furniture and skip the labor of trying to get that old stuff off. But the "easy" way is not always the point of the exercise.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Mahogany, I have an old one on a shelf in the shop. Ranchero has the right idea, citrus strip, Boiled linseed oil .. maybe a coat every 2 weeks until your happy and BLO can be applied again every season or mornings below 15 degrees LOL.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Right there on the can "Satisfaction Guaranteed" Homers formula with the gloss or satin driers makes a nice finish after its been rubbed out with pumice or rottenstone. Works good for that open grain soft walnut like on unfinished Boyd's stocks. Waterproofs and hardens up the exterior of the wood some. I cut back the final coats when I use 600 wet paper then the pumice on a hard felt pad.
    A good stripper used correctly on a particular wood species will not damage the wood fibers. To harsh a stripper can act as sand paper. Use wet dry paper on the finish, not the wood.
    If you get through it, reapply oil or focus on another part of the stock, then re-oil again till it gets right.

I used citri strip to lift old grease and grime before steaming, it almost works like whiting and is cheap.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I lightly sanded this old stock set then refinished using 8 coats of tung oil.
    I used 0000 steel wool in between each coat.

Attachments

• 5384FA4F-783B-491F-A8F5-799B495C9321.jpg
      5384FA4F-783B-491F-A8F5-799B495C9321.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 283

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Aussie with a couple coats of BLO. I rubbed it into the metal as well. Gave it a nice 'as oiled' finish for a wall hanger.
    DSC02856.jpg~original

Single coat of Tru Oil. Mystery wood stock with a hand made walnut forarm topper for a M1 look on a Glennfield 75
    DSC01951_zpsd82817ec.jpg~original

About 10 coats later. Feels super smooth and lovely to look into. Added a set of 99-M1 sights and SKS sling for military flavor. Great fun little shooter.
    DSC01973_zps3b7006d3.jpg~original

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    One thing I have always had a hard time doing is touching up old Win and Browning factory finishes. Where the finish gets worn around the wrist and high wear areas. Does anyone know the recipe for the finish or how it was applied? Or even something that will get close. Tru-oil and Linspeed (g96) carefully rubbed in will get close with the right temps. I guess because of the plasticizers in the old formulas. Im not talking about high grade collectable things, just like ordinary hunting grade guns that are still serviceable.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Got her done, I’m happy with how it turned out. I stripped it, degreased it with Purple Power (this cleaned up a lot of dark parts in the wood from excess oil over the years), restrained and topped it off with a few coats of tung oil. I didn’t sand it at all. It’s an LE trade Wingmaster so I didn’t want it to look “too pretty”. It was a pretty fun project!

Attachments

• BFBC15E7-8AF2-4F84-8873-6E5FB1CC24CF.jpg
      BFBC15E7-8AF2-4F84-8873-6E5FB1CC24CF.jpg
      131.3 KB · Views: 154
    Last edited:

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    Got her done, I’m happy with how it turned out. I stripped it, decreased it with Purple Power (this cleaned up a lot of dark parts in the wood), restrained and topped it off with a few coats of tung oil. I didn’t sand it at all. It’s an LE trade Wingmaster so I didn’t want it to look “too pretty”. It was a pretty fun project!

It looks great.
    I've been thinking about refinish a Chinese SKS that I have.
    I may do it.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Got her done, I’m happy with how it turned out. I stripped it, degreased it with Purple Power (this cleaned up a lot of dark parts in the wood from excess oil over the years), restrained and topped it off with a few coats of tung oil. I didn’t sand it at all. It’s an LE trade Wingmaster so I didn’t want it to look “too pretty”. It was a pretty fun project!

Nice Job!!! Looks great!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why didn't you take a butter knife and carve your initials into it before you finished it? Isn't that what you're suppose to do?

It looks good.

Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom