• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Talked to Andy Harris yesterday and he said that there was no shot in the Senate. They had 53 to 55 votes for and not enough Democrats on board. Needed 60 votes to pass

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If Trump could somehow sustain the kind of support that he got last night after the SOTU address, Democratic Senators that are vulnerable in 2018 might reconsider. Of course the President would need to get more visibly behind the legislation and get support from the NRA directly lobbying vulnerable legislators.
    ccd4dafe79e6e33f94e29bdadbcc81f3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It wasn't going to pass at its inception.

Same for suppressors being sold in vending machines and in the check out lines at grocery stores.

Payday-Chunky-Hershey's-9mm-45acp-308-Almond Joy-Mounds-Reese's-Snickers.

I'm certain the donation dollars rolled in though.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    sad part is i never see bills like this ever passing

If the Republican party pulls its head out of its azz and secures sixty or more senate seats, bills like this could pass.

But too many Republican Senators are retiring. Three. And too many Republican Representatives are retiring. Twenty One.

And too many gun owning Republicans are celebrating these facts.

Won't be pretty if we lose the congress in November.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Does anyone know where the 60 votes to pass the senate comes from? I've been told by numerous "teachers" that a simple majority is all that's needed in the senate for a bill to pass.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    To be fair, I think the nation, congress, and white house believe that immigration and a budget are higher priority. I certainly don't disagree with the latter as continuing resolutions waste and extraordinary amount of money in the government. I hope that we can get by both of these and move on to a vote for no other reason (if it's doomed to fail) than to force the democrats to vote against a bill to "fix" the background check system.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    senate

Does anyone know where the 60 votes to pass the senate comes from? I've been told by numerous "teachers" that a simple majority is all that's needed in the senate for a bill to pass.

Simple majority in the house and for some special bills like funding in the senate. All others need 60 votes

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

It is in the rules of debate for the senate.

To pass a bill out of the senate only requires 51 votes.

HOWEVER....

Before they can vote on passage they must debate the bill. The only way to end debate is they have to vote for something called cloture. This cloture vote is what requires 60 votes. So essentially what happens is a bill can be brought up to the floor by the majority leader, they vote to start debate, then they vote to end debate. What the opposition can do if they do not want to see it pass is not vote for cloture and essentially leave it open for debate until it dies.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    And call me shocked.....

The house knew all along that it was going nowhere in the senate. Just like Obamacare repeal..... that's why they were safe to vote yes and throw some red meat to their base.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Easy fix: No Nat’l Reciprocity for us - No DACA for them.

NRA-ILA needs to draw a line in the sand and Rs need to grow a pair and learn what the word leverage means. Where is the group the got National Park carry tacked on the credit card bill?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It is all a dog and pony show , now the 50 plus politicians can go back and say they voted yes and wanted it real bad and they are working hard for you and 2A .

Don't ever believe they thought it would pass .

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It is all a dog and pony show , now the 50 plus politicians can go back and say they voted yes and wanted it real bad and they are working hard for you and 2A .

Don't ever believe they thought it would pass .

I like how the number was as high as 55 senators. We only hold 51 seats.

That means 4 Democrats were allowed to cross over. Mad math skills right there.

I can imagine Joe Machin and Heidi Heitkamp being two of them. Doug Jones from Alabama would have been a smart play too. With him just coming into the senate .

Can't put my finger on the fourth crossover.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Talked to Andy Harris yesterday and he said that there was no shot in the Senate. They had 53 to 55 votes for and not enough Democrats on board. Needed 60 votes to pass

Would he really know this or is this more speculation?
    My thought is this is one bill they should at least get the roll call on, not simply do nothing because the votes aren't there.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Shall issue red states with Dem senators need to pull their weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom