• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Well, after singing the praises of same day service in Lancaster county, I got stung in the ass today.

Went to go get a new permit (my old one lapsed) and was told the Sheriff will not issue a non resident permit to a Maryland permit holder if there are any kind of restrictions on the MD permit.

**** that guy.

I guess I'll go York next but I don't feel like dealing with their insane obsessing over the expiration date of your MD permit.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Adams County doesn't care about the expiration of the MD permit. If your Md is expired you can't renew your PA.
    That is the way it works.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Adams County doesn't care about the expiration of the MD permit. If your Md is expired you can't renew your PA.
    That is the way it works.

I'll go Adams then. I just wrote an unhappy but polite letter to the Lancaster sheriff about what a load of garbage it is that he won't issue a permit.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yeah York has great service , but you are right they are anal when it comes to Md. Permit renewal time . The officer told my brother if he did not mail back his PA permit he would swear out a warrant for his arrest . All the time the MSP work at a snails pace and caused the delay .

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Yeah York has great service , but you are right they are anal when it comes to Md. Permit renewal time . The officer told my brother if he did not mail back his PA permit he would swear out a warrant for his arrest . All the time the MSP work at a snails pace and caused the delay .

I would just rather not deal with that insanity. Lancaster was great with their twenty minute service. I don't know what the hell happened or why the current sheriff is such an idiot.

I guess I'll take the slow route at Adams rather than crazy York commando people.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would just rather not deal with that insanity. Lancaster was great with their twenty minute service. I don't know what the hell happened or why the current sheriff is such an idiot.

I guess I'll take the slow route at Adams rather than crazy York commando people.

I am not familiar with all the counties where is Adams and how far from York ?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I am not familiar with all the counties where is Adams and how far from York ?

Adams is on the west side of York. Gettysburg etc. It's an hour or so from me and I'm in northwest Baltimore county.

I can't find anything in the statute supporting the sheriff's position. Am I missing some sort of discretion clause in there?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    York remains the most 2a friendly county to get PA for us non residents?
    Do I just swing by the sheriffs office and fill out an application and wait for it to be mailed to me in a week or so?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Do I just swing by the sheriffs office and fill out an application and wait for it to be mailed to me in a week or so?

Only if you want to deal with them threatening to arrest you if your Maryland permit isn't renewed in time.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

I did it a few years ago , I filled the paperwork out mailed it and waited to be either emailed or called and I went their for my picture and permit .

While I was there my brother went with me and they did his permit on the spot .

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Only if you want to deal with them threatening to arrest you if your Maryland permit isn't renewed in time.

First time hearing that after all the praises from various people :(
    Just did a quick search and see a few others had a oh sh*t moment when they didn’t submit the re-newed MD permit.
    Always in or driving thru York Co so it sucks I’d have to go all the way to Gettysburg (Adams County) sheriffs office to deal with less hassle in that regard.

I did it a few years ago , I filled the paperwork out mailed it and waited to be either emailed or called and I went their for my picture and permit .

While I was there my brother went with me and they did his permit on the spot .

Wonder if I could schedule an appointment over the phone?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    First time them hearing that after all the praises from various people :(
    Just did a quick search and see a few others had a oh sh*t moment when they didn’t submit the re-newed MD permit.
    Always in or driving thru York Co so it sucks I’d have to go all the way to Gettysburg (Adams County) sheriffs office to deal with less hassle in that regard.

I hear ya but easier on the mind. I'm still stunned about Lancaster.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    First time them hearing that after all the praises from various people :(

I will most likely still use York even with those issues to be honest . But if you make a day of it in Gettysburg that could be fun .
    Combine permit with park visits or stores if possible maybe lunch as well .

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I will most likely still use York even with those issues to be honest . But if you make a day of it in Gettysburg that could be fun .
    Combine permit with park visits or stores if possible maybe lunch as well .

Yea good point I have wanted to venture around Gettysburg..

How long is the permit good for 5yrs? Cost/fees?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Once issued. York has no law allowing them to revoke the permit. They are blowing smoke. I think the Sheriff is a retired MSP Licensing division.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I'm curious if you have to take anything special with you to have the PA permit issued based on a MD handgun license? Do you need to take photos or fingerprint cards with you or anything else? I may do this next time I'm back in western PA.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I'm curious if you have to take anything special with you to have the PA permit issued based on a MD handgun license? Do you need to take photos or fingerprint cards with you or anything else? I may do this next time I'm back in western PA.

No.

It's $20, your ID, your MD permit and fill out the form. It calls for two references with addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom