• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My only deer this season. It's what happens when you go from 4 properties to only one, lol.

I did score on a coyote though. Kind of a consolation prize...
    Great looking deer OR58. Really cool coyote too, unusual coloration too, very “siberian husky-esque”. 1st one I’ve seen that wasn’t just scroungy gray or brown-colored. Congrats on the pair.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:
    Don’t matter what kind of hunting your doing, if you see a coyote, it becomes a coyote hunt.:D
    Roger that Chris!

As I sat in my stand and light began to dawn, I noticed what appeared to be a deer lying 20 yards from me. Yep, a recent coyote killed fawn. At that point, my deer hunt became a deer/coyote hunt. About 8am, three yotes came trotting in for a morning snack. Two tans and this big German Shepherd marked male. He cave me a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards. Dropped right in his tracks! :D

Nice buck you got there too! :thumbsup:

Great looking deer OR58. Really cool coyote too, unusual coloration too, very “siberian husky-esque”. 1st one I’ve seen that wasn’t just scroungy gray or brown-colored. Congrats on the pair.
    Thanks!
    Yes. There is an even darker one out there. My buddy just shot belly hair off him that same morning. We knew it wasn't the same yote because he saw it again later that day, after I had already killed mine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My only deer this season. It's what happens when you go from 4 properties to only one, lol.

I did score on a coyote though. Kind of a consolation prize...

That deer is probably still worth all 4 I tagged this year. At least in meat. Certainly in total antler :-)

As before, that’s a cool Coyote. Still my hope
    I can tag a yote some year.

My kids have been claiming for awhile they’ve been seeing a black/very dark coloration coyote in our backwoods near the creek. I’ve seen nothing when I’ve gone out to investigate with a little .223 persuasion. They’ve been saying they’ve been hearing coyotes occasionally also. And claim when I’ve played them howling and yipping videos of yotes that is what they’ve been hearing.

Caught this on one of my game cams from mid December. Haven’t checked the pictures from the camera by the creek where there is more animal foot traffic and two crossings, but there are 1246 images from 2 months and it isn’t prone to false triggering or small animals like squirrels triggering it like the other game camera is.

Of course half are probably pictures of my kids playing in the creek.

On unrelated creek news, it’s near the spring feed source (just 2 properties away is one of the springs and 3 properties for the other spring) and feeds down to the Potapsco. Shallow here. My son managed to catch and release about a 4” small mouth out of the deeper pocket on the creek on our property! I didn’t know they could get that far upstream or that big there (pocket is about 2’ deep and maybe 15x8’ in size). Most of the creek is only 1-3” deep along the property and about 3-6’ wide (the whole thing is about 12-15’ wide to the walls of the creek, but the creek bed isn’t that wide short of massive rain fall). Caught a couple other 2” or so fish. All using power bait and really small hooks.

Attachments

• 9D4D33D9-F095-4878-A1D8-BB20CD1F1938.jpg
      9D4D33D9-F095-4878-A1D8-BB20CD1F1938.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 357

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not a "whacking" but I found this news article with a trail cam video of a buck shedding his antlers. Never seen it before so it was really cool.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rs-shake-head-captured-night-cam-footage.html

Thats a cool video thanks for sharing it.

One time I was working on the way to Hudson and seen a buck come from across the road because someone drove back into the Beckwith woods and pushed him out.
    He ran all the way across, then the road full bore, seen me and the truck and jumped the ditch that was a pretty good stretch.
    When he did it, he nosedived hard front legs under almost making it but not quite. Without skipping a beat both antlers cast right off and he went on through like nothing even happened.
    After seeing that is when I started shed horn hunting a lot. They're the ones I use for rattling to this day.
    It was right before the regulator platform on circuit 521/522 like anybody knows where that's at lol.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Did everyone give up? Our game camera from over near Greenbriar is finally showing the deer starting to transition out of nocturnal mode, but still into it a lot. The Orange army really changed the deer habits over there. Owner wants the place thinned and we found its worthless trying to hunt after thanksgiving.

Can't hunt the morning as you'd push them out unless you got there by 3am. Evenings they are bouncing in 15 minutes 15 - 30 minutes before dark finally.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll be out tomorrow for my "last day" hunt. I've done very well on my last day hunts, killing more often than not.

When the rain stops tomorrow, that would be a good time to be in a tree...;)

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The trail camera shows me them in there at 2 - 3 Am sometime 4 and waiting near by for the feeder. Hunting in the morning would be pushing them out. Evenings just before dark is where they are loosening up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The trail camera shows me them in there at 2 - 3 Am sometime 4 and waiting near by for the feeder. Hunting in the morning would be pushing them out. Evenings just before dark is where they are loosening up.

I don’t have cam pics from the last 8-10 days, but before that most of the movement was at night in my neighborhood. About every other day some does or a buck would come through +/- 10 minutes of legal shooting light in the morning or evening. Sometimes just legal, sometimes the other side of legal.

That’s compared to august through mid November where they were coming through roughly dawn and half an hour or so before dusk every day with only a few exceptions.

I am lazy and still haven’t checked my creek trail cam though. I think there might be mire legal light movement on that of deer traveling through. The other cam was my clearing that’s both travel zone and they had been grazing on grass and clover in the clearing. Plus I was tossing out corn every 2-3 days from mid September through early November. If I’d continued baiting it might have had more daytime movement by the one camera.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Struck out my last hunt of the season. Wasn’t feeling the spot so came down an hour before shooting hour, stalked up a steep hill, saw 20+ deer within 55 yards. Next step, crunch, and off they go. Never got a shot off with my bow.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Friday night was my last try. Two tried coming in at 4:50 and the wind swirled and I hadn't run the ozone machine in two week and they smelled me. I got lazy in January. The 5:30 7 or 8 start coming out and a neighbors dog over there is going ape she-it barking at them. He's got to be 200 yards from the deer, but it got them all freaked. I'm assuming they are just barely recovering from gun season. They trotted back toward the bedding area and it would be too dark to bother with it. I closed the season for me and told the land owner we'll have to come back and make a mess of them before Thanksgiving at his place as its a waste of time over there once gun season starts.

BUT I for 20# of Mettwurst and 20# spicy pepperoni mixed up yesterday. Mettwurst got stuffed into 2 1/2" 20" long casings and is in the smokehouse now. The Pepperoni goes into 21mm casings later today to get smoked tomorrow.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No attempts for me, but first time I’ve seen daytime deer in awhile. Couple does munching along my wood line of my clearing at about 11am.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Nice Rifle set up you got there ...

Cheers! I had been using an RPR but after shoulder surgery the weight was just too much. I just found out I picked up the scope at just the right moment with FLIR announcing they are withdrawing from the civilian market :'(

My oldest has off school Wednesday so I am going to give one more shot at bow season with him. He struck out on junior hunt weekend and was sick most of gun season so I'm hoping he will get a chance to fill a tag. Been seeing good movement here on the shore, so I've got my fingers crossed.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Is it unusual to see full blown rut activity at this time of year? I just had about 20 deer with 5 bucks acting like it was early November. The largest 8-point was sparring a smaller 8-point, licking branches, making a rub, and aggressively working over a sapling. A few of the bucks already shed one antler. I haven't seen much daytime activity in weeks and now this. Anyone else?

Attachments

• 20200221_171125 copy.jpg
      20200221_171125 copy.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 192
    • 20200221_170652 copy.jpg
      20200221_170652 copy.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members